Thinking of Switching to Directv & have some quesitons

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vicki5050

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
NE Wisconsin
We have been with Dish for years but are thinking of switching to Directv. Seems everyone we know have. I have a couple of questions. If we were to get the Genie system could we get an additional regular reciever. We have a camper that we take up north. They have a Directv dish and we would be able to connect to it. We would be looking at getting the Genie system on 3 TVs and then a regular receiver for the 4th TV to move between the house and camper. Is this possible?

yep, you can mix and match most directv recivers
id ecomend getting regular hd recievers anyway instead of clients, having its own tuners it a bonus

I know the Hopper doesn't have an ota which is why we kept our 622 & 722 receivers when the Hopper came out instead of upgrading. Is the am21 something I need to order from Directv when we make the switch or can I buy it anywhere? How much do they cost? Do I just need it for the Genie for for each TV that I want ota on?

The clients will see every channel you get on the HR34, including the OTA channels.

iirc the am21 is @ $50
you can get it from direct or from someplace like solid signal

if its on a ginie the clients should use it, i dont think a reciver will though

I know the Hopper doesn't have an ota which is why we kept our 622 & 722 receivers when the Hopper came out instead of upgrading. Is the am21 something I need to order from Directv when we make the switch or can I buy it anywhere? How much do they cost? Do I just need it for the Genie for for each TV that I want ota on?

Amazon sells the AM21N for about $48.

Amazon sells the AM21N for about $48 (seller is Solid Signal).

yep, you can mix and match most directv recivers
id ecomend getting regular hd recievers anyway instead of clients, having its own tuners it a bonus

I assume if you use clients you can still record 5 shows but then the other rooms with clients lose their tv while recording. I like using the genie solo so I can record 4 shows and don't get chases out of the room if I want to watch live tv.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You are adding two recordable OTA tuners with the AM21N. If that still isn't enough you can get an HR24 as one of your non client receivers to add two recordable satellite tuners to the mix.

To the OP, the AM21N will allow for recording/viewing OTA channels, but it does not add anything to the total useable tuner count on any D* HR.

IOW, the HR34 has 5 sat tuners, adding the AM21N will allow you to record/view OTA channels, but you can only record or view on 5 channels at any given time.

That is unlike the OTA modules or built in OTA tuners that you have with Dish, they add to the tuner count as you probably already know. This makes the AM21N good for watching OTA channels that D* doesn't have on SAT or when the weather goes south, but otherwise is mostly useless.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)