thinking of switching to directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Ok I have comcast cable but my cable bill is getting rediculous. Even though I have hbo/showtime free for a year and digital cable free for 2 years I am still paying them $55/month for tv and another $55 for internet(4mbps service). I am seriously considering putting up an antenna and getting directv. Comcast keeps putting off the dual tuner dvr and new interactive guide everytime i email them about these new services. I want 1 or 2 dvrs and 2 or 3 additional receivers (4 receivers). What can I expect to pay? I also want sunday ticket and will want to go with their top package free for 4 months then switch down to their $39/month package.
thanks for the help
oh and the dma im in (wheeling,wv steubenville,oh) doesnt have locals. When will locals be available?

mikedz4, first off welcome to Satelliteguys!!

If you've never had Directv service before then you can get free installation and up to 3 receivers free. The NFL-Sunday Ticket deal is very nice. Also Directv is offering a $50 mail in rebate on the Directivos. I can personally atest to the Directv. The dual tuner capability is very nice. More than likely Comcast is using the Motorolla box that has the HD and DVR in one. I bet you can't do a season pass with it like you can the Directivo. The Directivo's price up front is $99.

You can also order through www.valueelectronics.com and since you are a Satelliteguys member make sure you mention that. That will net you a 10% discount on your equipment.

Do you have an HDTV?

I checked a zip code in Wheeling, WV and it doesn't look like Directv will be offering locals this year. They are getting another satellite up next year so that may change. Depending on how far you are from the towers for your locals you may qualify for Distant Networks, in other words you can get the NY and LA feeds of the 4 major networks.

I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!! Again welcome to Satelliteguys!! :)

Also when you call Directv see what free extras they are willing to give. Let them know you have cable and are thinking about getting satellite, then tell them you don't know if its worth it or if you do switch who you should go with. They will usually throw in something to sweeten the deal. I was offered 6 free months of Showtime and 6 free months of HD programming if I got the $399 HD package, I told the CSR that I would have to think about it. Others have gotten better offers it just depends on the CSR.

I pay $65 a month for Total choice plus with locals and HBO. I have 2 directivo's. This would be $60 a month with 1 directivo. They charge $5 mirroring fee for each additional receiver and a $5 DVR fee for all DVR's(1 fee for all).With 3 more receiver's it will be $15 more (5 total=$80 $68 w/o HBO)

I feel your pain, Comcast was out earlier today ... they still stink! D* will hook you up is you call them. You might to to play some CSR Roulette, if you like a deal, get the agents name so you can refer to it in a later call.

I am thinking 2 DVR's, 3 reg receivers, 5x8 cascading multiswitch, 18"x20" dish, plus the ticket, installed for free of course you can probably get for under $350 ... they will not pro rate the NFL ST package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)