Thinking of switching

jasnhrpr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Charleston, WV
Does anybody have a link to a channel comparison between Directv and Dish Network? It seems like I saw one somewhere on here before. I want to see which channels I may lose/gain by switching to Directv.
Anyway, I have been with Dish Network for almost two years now. I have a Vip 722 and 211k. I have been frustrated with them several times. first over Turbo HD, which was the reason I signed up with them in the first place, and now over the loss of the Disney channels and ESPN news. I got upset when they didn't add any new channels to TurboHD and raised the prices significantly at the same time, so I switched over to classic silver and they gave me discount for a while. That discount has now ran out and I'm seriously considering making the switch over to Directv. They have some really good offers right now. Give me the pros/cons of making the switch.
Thanks,
Jason

It's simple. If you like HD sports, don't do the premium movie channels, are eligible for the D* promotions (don't forget the additional $10 for 20 months discount available from AAA), don't mind the D* receivers/DVRs, and have stricken E* from your Christmas card list, make the switch. And that's coming from a 12-year E* sub.

Once again, the Disney/Espn channels or not lost...being renegotiated. They will be back. D* is not exempt from similar situations, ie Versus. I have not seen or read of any person who has gone to D* from E* and raved about their DVRs.

I have not seen or read of any person who has gone to D* from E* and raved about their DVRs.
You must not be reading the posts about the whole-home DVR (multi-room viewing) then, because that feature is freaking awesome.

The ViP series has prettier looking menus, but network-based MRV is head and shoulders above what Dish is doing.

I just switched to D*, install was complete on Sat. The programing is almost identical, programing is a little different but most of it is music and religious, a couple of others and I really can't tell the difference.

The major thing is the HR24/500. Had 2 installed with MRV and internet and it is awesome. Can record 4 programs at the same time and watch everything in HD on both TVs. I have the same recording capacity as the VIP 922 but can record 4 show at the same time.

Had E* for 6yrs with no complaints, was very happy with the service and have nothing bad to say about them. Just think the system and equipment I have now is far superior to anything E* has.

In the end it's your decision and yours only. If you can get to a local retailer talk to them and play with the equipment, that way you can insure you get the HR24s and see for yourself. Personally I am very pleased with my new equipment and service, and very happy I made the change.

I just switched to D*, install was complete on Sat. The programing is almost identical, programing is a little different but most of it is music and religious, a couple of others and I really can't tell the difference.

The major thing is the HR24/500. Had 2 installed with MRV and internet and it is awesome. Can record 4 programs at the same time and watch everything in HD on both TVs. I have the same recording capacity as the VIP 922 but can record 4 show at the same time.

Had E* for 6yrs with no complaints, was very happy with the service and have nothing bad to say about them. Just think the system and equipment I have now is far superior to anything E* has.

In the end it's your decision and yours only. If you can get to a local retailer talk to them and play with the equipment, that way you can insure you get the HR24s and see for yourself. Personally I am very pleased with my new equipment and service, and very happy I made the change.

Plus now, if you are a sports fan, you will get the Buffalo Sabres in HD, and the Yankees in HD.

I am about to make the same switch I think for very near the same reasons, although I had already been contemplating the move before the Disney thing. For the record, the Disney spat is not a reason to switch. It will end and it will happen to other providers with other channels, likely much more often in the coming few years.

For me, being a sports fan, DirecTV just makes sense. I don't care for movie channels as they often have little on that I care to watch, and I already have Netflix. Add that to Dish's inability to compete pricewise for the next two years compared to what D* will offer and the MRV that is vastly superior, and I think there is little choice, especially now that the HR-24 is in the same league as many of the Dish receivers. It's a shame because I really like Dish, but it is tough for me to justify it anymore when comparing what each is offering me at this point.

For me, being a sports fan, DirecTV just makes sense. I don't care for movie channels as they often have little on that I care to watch, and I already have Netflix. Add that to Dish's inability to compete pricewise for the next two years compared to what D* will offer and the MRV that is vastly superior, and I think there is little choice, especially now that the HR-24 is in the same league as many of the Dish receivers. It's a shame because I really like Dish, but it is tough for me to justify it anymore when comparing what each is offering me at this point.

For anyone that's interested, this guy has a youtube vid comparing the speeds of the HR23 and HR24.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFrUJYzwhXs&feature=related]YouTube - DIRECTV HR24-500 speed demonstration[/ame]

For anyone that's interested, this guy has a youtube vid comparing the speeds of the HR23 and HR24.

YouTube - DIRECTV HR24-500 speed demonstration

The one thing I have yet to see is how fast the HR-24 responds to DVR functions such as FF, REW, Pause, Play. However, the speed on the HR-24 is obviously vastly better than the HR-23 and good enough for daily use. Especially when you factor in the ability for MRV which Dish simply does not offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts