Thinking of upgrading to directv HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

onan38

Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Kentucky
Hi, Everyone first time poster with alot of questions. I have read alot of the post on this forum and have learned so much from everyone. I have had my *D service since 5/2003 and have never replaced anything have 2 SD receivers and:Total choice plus $54.99,additional receiver $4.99,Bellsouth answers savings $ -5.00 credit,Sales tax $1.80, KY tax $1.44. Total $58.22 Month.If i upgrade my package to HD with 1 HD dvr and 1 SD dvr how much more would i have to pay? Also i have a 50inch HD tv with a ota antenna on my local channels on HD programming it fills the screen on some commercials it has bars on the sides.Does Directv's hd channels also do this? or does the directv box make up for this.Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
DIRECTV Plus HDTV Receiver with DVR $199.99
DIRECTV - Receiver with Built-In Digital Video Recorder $99.99

the directv box U can change the settings to fill the entire screen[/QUOT

Man that is a lot of money to upgrade. Do they make you pay for the new dish also? I too am going to upgrade when I upgrade my tv. I am a current Directv sub also.

DIRECTV Plus HDTV Receiver with DVR $199.99
DIRECTV - Receiver with Built-In Digital Video Recorder $99.99

the directv box U can change the settings to fill the entire screen[/QUOT

Man that is a lot of money to upgrade. Do they make you pay for the new dish also? I too am going to upgrade when I upgrade my tv. I am a current Directv sub also.

The dish and installation are free.

I just did this....

If you talk to CS they won't offer you anything, just a lame excuse about the price dropping $100.

Ask for customer retention and explain that you've been a customer for some time and you would like to know what they can offer.

I got a HDdvr + HD box and install for $100 plus hd free for a year.

Just be polite and save a switch to DN as a last resort.

From a monthly bill perspective, you'd add $9.99 for HD (Plus another $4.99 or so for the extra HD pack if you wish) and $5.99 for DVR. That is if you kept the same programming package. I know there are some packages that include HD and DVR. The last time I did the math, I was still ahead by a couple dollars to stick with my current plan.

As others have said, you might get some offers in terms of hardware. The Retention department can typically offer more deals. When you call the 800#, say 'cancel' at the prompt to get directed. Don't actually threaten to leave, just say that at the prompt to get to the right department.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I most likely will stay with Directv when my Tube HDTV finally goes. The picture is still great on it so I don't want to get rid of it just yet. I am actually surprised it has lasted this long. When I bought the tv it was at the top of the technology food chain. It has a built in HD receiver (which is a bad idea) that is now only capable of receiving Mpeg2. When it does finally go, I am going to call up Direct and get everything upgraded. I now sub to the highest package with 5 receivers so they should want to keep me as a customer.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I most likely will stay with Directv when my Tube HDTV finally goes. The picture is still great on it so I don't want to get rid of it just yet. I am actually surprised it has lasted this long. When I bought the tv it was at the top of the technology food chain. It has a built in HD receiver (which is a bad idea) that is now only capable of receiving Mpeg2. When it does finally go, I am going to call up Direct and get everything upgraded. I now sub to the highest package with 5 receivers so they should want to keep me as a customer.

Why do you feel that a TV with a built in HD tuner is a bad thing ?
Your OTA channels are ALL mpeg 2 with no plans to change, the reason all the change with D* and DISH is because they supply the large numbers of channels across the nation.
Your OTA channels only supply thier channel, so the bandwidth is much easier to deal with ....
This is part of why an OTA mpeg 2 channel will look much better than a sat mpeg 2 channel. In most cases.

Jimbo

Have you looked at your D* account online for upgrade options? I have been with them for several years with the same equipment and right now I could upgrade to HD with the new dish and free installation for no hardware cost whatsoever. Just the monthly subscription fees.

They are throwing a lot of free stuff out there. When I put in for local channels, when finally available, they installed slimline and HD receiver with just $5 monthly charge.
Right now they are only installing HD equipment.

Is it one of those RCA TV with Built in Directv HD Receiver ?

Can someone tell me if a HDMI cable comes with Directv hd dvr,If it does how long is it? Also i have my current RG6 cable (2 cables)running under the house in the crawl space (with small gravel under there.) So i should need 2 more cables ran for a total of 4 for 2 HD dvr's? Will i be charged extra for running 2 more cables under the house? Thanks for any help.

Just wanted to let everyone know i called customer retension today to upgrade my total choice plus package with 2 sd receivers.I got to keep my grandfathered total choice package and added HD service,tried to get 2 HD dvr's but could not talk them into it. Got 1 HD dvr free and paid $99.00 for a SD dvr got $118.95 credit on my Directv account 3 free months of premiums.and free upgrade install for Wednesday morning.and monthly bill only went up $16.00 per month.I am very happy with my new plan and had a very good CSR to deal with.

Who are you guys talking to at Dtv? I've been a customer for 5 years and they wouldn't give me any incentive to stay when I wanted an upgrade to HD. I'm going to try the "cancel/customer retention" angle.

I've learned alot from the post on this board.When you call the 800# at the prompt just say cancel. Make sure you are very nice and don't raise your voice remember you are trying to get a good deal. When i first started dealing with the CSR and he was telling me what Directv could offer i would let him finish talking and said ( so do you think we could do this?) and kept getting closer and closer on a deal until i (almost got everything i wanted.)and kept asking what kind of credits i could get after he talked about each package and box.I wrote on a pad while he worked his side of the deal and made my counter deal until we got really close. I ask him to email my deal to me and he did while i was on the phone with me so i could look it over My CSR'S name was William,I thanked him for his time and he said it was a pleasure to talk with me.I think it is better if you call during the day Monday thru Friday during regular business hours to be able to work a good deal. I hope this helps?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)