Thinking of upgrading to the HD TIVO. Opinions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chado

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 11, 2005
609
1
Orlando, FL
I have really be waiting for the price of the HD TIVO to come down and now that is apparently happening.

With that said, I am eager to get my HD experience going. I just would like to know what I will need that I don't already have. I would hate to get the receiver and have to wait a moment longer just b/c of lack of preparation. :)

I have an HD Ready TV with one DVI input and two component video inputs. I upgraded to a TIVO and Triple LNB Dish last year with two lines going to where my existing TIVO is.

I am assuming I need an OTA antenna as well. Will an internal antenna work? What would you recommend as my wife's patience with new holes in the wall is wearing thin.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
30,897
512
Here
Chado said:
I have really be waiting for the price of the HD TIVO to come down and now that is apparently happening.

With that said, I am eager to get my HD experience going. I just would like to know what I will need that I don't already have. I would hate to get the receiver and have to wait a moment longer just b/c of lack of preparation. :)

I have an HD Ready TV with one DVI input and two component video inputs. I upgraded to a TIVO and Triple LNB Dish last year with two lines going to where my existing TIVO is.

I am assuming I need an OTA antenna as well. Will an internal antenna work? What would you recommend as my wife's patience with new holes in the wall is wearing thin.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.


The HD Tivo comes with an HDMI to DVI cable so you can use that to view. You didn't mention if you have a surround receiver or not but if you do you will need and Optical cable for sound. The antenna inside will work but it depends on how far you are from the local antennas as to whether or not you can pick up signals. If you can't pick up some channels then you will have to get an outdoor antenna.
 

Chado

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 11, 2005
609
1
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the quick reply.

Kudos for bringing up the audio. That is all taken care of.

I guess my main concern is from the Dish to the Receiver. Will my current situation (2 cables) work?

Forgive my ignorance. How does the OTA work in regards to the receiver? Are my local HD channels going to be integrated into my channel list and Tivo capability. This is assuming the signal is strong.

Thanks again!!!
 

warkovision

SatelliteGuys Guru
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
147
0
Chado said:
I have really be waiting for the price of the HD TIVO to come down and now that is apparently happening.

With that said, I am eager to get my HD experience going. I just would like to know what I will need that I don't already have. I would hate to get the receiver and have to wait a moment longer just b/c of lack of preparation. :)

I have an HD Ready TV with one DVI input and two component video inputs. I upgraded to a TIVO and Triple LNB Dish last year with two lines going to where my existing TIVO is.

I am assuming I need an OTA antenna as well. Will an internal antenna work? What would you recommend as my wife's patience with new holes in the wall is wearing thin.


Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The HD Tivo requires two lines from the dish to use both of its tuners simultaneously. The trible LNB dish can supply up to four because of its internal multiswitch, so you should be fine with your two. As far as local HD goes, depending on what market your in-you'll need an OTA antenna to get those for now/or not. I'm in Los Angeles and am getting my local digital stations from the satellite so I don't need one. D* is planning to use much of its added bandwidth from satellites going up this year for HD locals across the nation. But you still may have to wait up to a year or more depending on where you are located. Don't know what to tell you about the indoor antenna as I don't have any experience with them. I have a Channel Master 4228 and it works pretty well. You might want to go to Antenna Web and see what it says you need for your area.
 

Dino

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 6, 2004
38
0
Chado said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Kudos for bringing up the audio. That is all taken care of.

I guess my main concern is from the Dish to the Receiver. Will my current situation (2 cables) work?

Forgive my ignorance. How does the OTA work in regards to the receiver? Are my local HD channels going to be integrated into my channel list and Tivo capability. This is assuming the signal is strong.

Thanks again!!!

Even if you add in the outdoor antenna, your current cable situation (two cables, I assume from the dish to the viewing room) will work. The OTA signal can be mixed in to one of the satellite cables and un-mixed at the receiver. This is called multiplexing and demultiplexing. It's done with two simple, small components (they're actually the identical element on both ends of the satellite cable) which are easy to install and quite cheap.

This is the setup I have at my house--two cables from dish to HD TIVO; one of those cables carries both dish and outdoor antenna signal (actually, my full-size OTA antenna is in my attic).

As for the HD TIVO interface, OTA channels are mixed cleanly into the guide along with the satellite channels, and recording amongst local and satellite channels is seamless.

--Dino
 

Chado

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 11, 2005
609
1
Orlando, FL
That sounds like an ideal solution to my issue...

Where can I get these multiplexing devices?

Thanks

Chad
 

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
30,897
512
Here
Chado said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Kudos for bringing up the audio. That is all taken care of.

I guess my main concern is from the Dish to the Receiver. Will my current situation (2 cables) work?

Forgive my ignorance. How does the OTA work in regards to the receiver? Are my local HD channels going to be integrated into my channel list and Tivo capability. This is assuming the signal is strong.

Thanks again!!!


Like everyone has already said the 2 cables will work. The Channel list will integrate into your channel lineup on the guide. Most have had the guide show what's on that channel but some have not been able to get it. I don't have an antenna because I have waivers for all the network HD channels. My dad uses a Hughes HD box and it doesn't show what is on those channels. The antenna will hook into the antenna plug in on the back of your receiver and then you need to scan for new channels once it is hooked up.
 

AIA_SMALZ_11

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 5, 2004
41
0
The price of the HD DVR from D* will be dropping to $699. Most retailers will have this in their ads this coming sunday. So for those of you who have been waiting for a price drop, well here it is. :)
 

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
359
0
Grapevine, TX
The only concern I would have is that it is soo close to the release of the MPEG 4 receivers and DVR's, but D* will be doing a swap either way so your in the clear.
 

asousa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 8, 2004
429
0
Stoughton, MA
I am still very skeptical about upgrading....WHAT IF they don't replace it? I find it hard to believe that they have been selling these puppies for $999 and in several months they will just throw this unit out and "give" you a new peice of equipement....that will probably cost them more then the $999 they are charging for the current one.

I wish the H10-250 was upgradable to MPEG-4, if this comes true then I am buying one NOW!
 

asousa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 8, 2004
429
0
Stoughton, MA
Robert,

can you make any guarentee that I will be updated to an MPEG-4 box when they come around if I bought the H10-250 from you today??

Would you personally upgrade if D* doesn't??
 

calypsocowboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 7, 2005
62
0
The only thing guaranteed in life is death and taxes. But I'm sure D* will be fair to us. They have in the past.
 

stevesmall

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 17, 2004
485
0
South Jersey
AIA_SMALZ_11 said:
The price of the HD DVR from D* will be dropping to $699. Most retailers will have this in their ads this coming sunday. So for those of you who have been waiting for a price drop, well here it is. :)
Surprisingly hdtivo is still 999 at circuit city, in store and on their website :confused:
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top