Third Receiver for the cottage

wcalkins

Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Hudsonville
I've read several posts on this topic, but I have a few questions I hope someone is willing to answer:
I have (2) 322 receivers at home. I plan to bring one to the cottage and leave it there. I would like HD at home, so I plan to buy a HD receiver (ebay or dishnetwork) and put it at home. Then, leave one of the 322 receivers at the cottage. I'll pay Dishnetwork for all of the additional receivers (2 additional receivers).
At the cottage I have a dish that says "dishnetwork 500" on it. It's round. It has a wide LNB with 110 and 119 and connections for two coax cables.
It sounds like I can connect the 322 to that dish. I tried it with no luck- here's what I think the problem was?
I ran one coax from 119 on the dish to the receiver (plugged into dish #1 port on back). I did not run switch check.
1. Should I use DP separator or am I ok with one cable?
2. Do I need to run switch check because I'm on a different dish?
3. Does the switch test, test connectivity to the LNB so I know I have a good dish?
4. Do you think I'll trigger an audit because the cottage receiver will not be plugged into a phone jack?
5. As I point this dish, how exact to I need to be to get any type of signal- 2 degrees, 5 degrees?

What you are doing is not allowed. If you are going to leave it there the whole time you really need to get a separate subscription. Is it not possible to just take a receiver with you when you go (that would be within what has been suggested as allowable by the CEO of Dish).

wcalkins said:
It sounds like I can connect the 322 to that dish. I tried it with no luck- ...
I answered a similar question recently, turns out the 322 needs both sat tuner inputs connected. (I had thought it might work but be unstable for long-term use.)

1. Depends on whether the Twin is legacy (no logo), DishPro (dp logo) or DPP (dpPLUS logo). The Separator can only be used with DPP. If you have legacy or DP you need to run another line.

2. Yes, you need to run a check switch every time the receiver is moved to a different LNB/switch configuration.

3. It determines what satellites you can see and what switch you have. If your LNBs are DishPro, it also identifies them and can do some diagnostics.

4. See post #2. Having more receivers increases your odds, especially if not all are connected to a phone line (ViP receivers can use ethernet as an alternate). Since it won't be connected you can expect to also be hit with the TV2 connection fee in addition to the extra receiver fee.

My guess would be that you have a Dishpro twin lnb on the dish at the cottage, since you said it has two connectors. That lnb won't work with a separator so you need to run another cable if you want to use both tuners in the 322.

You need to run check switch anytime you connect to a different type lnb. So unless you have a Dishpro twin lnb on the dish at home, you need to run it. Check switch will tell you what type hardware is in the system, but it won't diagnose all problems.

Dish pointing requires accuracy of a couple of degrees.

You might be better off telling Dish what you want to do. They now have a policy covering second homes and will install the system at your second home, usually for free. You can then take a receiver back and forth, and they will switch your locals to whichever location you're at with a simple phone call.

It does NOT matter what you tell Dish Network that you want to do. The computer system automatically generates the audits even if a Dish Network CSR said it was ok to do so and even notated your account. If you get audited and fail you will NEVER EVER be able to activate any additional receivers on your acount EVER again. If you are under contract you will still be expected to fufill that contract or pay the penalty even if you cannot activate additional receivers.

If you do not activate any additional receivers then you might be alright. It is a gray area taking them back and forth. They do not want more than one household to receive programming at one time. If someone had one receiver and took it back and forth and so forth then that would not be a problem.

If you had broadband at both locations you could use slingplayer to watch tv at another location.

Get your HD receiver and when you go to the cottage, take the OTHER 322 with you up there and bring it back when you return.

You just have to run a check switch when you connect the 322 to recognize the different dish.

It's perfectly legitimate as per Dish's snow bird policy, as long as you are only viewing programming at one location at a time.

exactly. Dont leave it at the cabin. Bring back the 2nd 322

and the snowbird policy is something totally different. Thats for someone who (example) lives in MN 6 months of the year and Florida 6 months. Dish has it flagged that they can call and switch addresses back and forth and get those specific locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)