This 811 is the biggest pile of crap ever!

Yeah it all depends on what you want to do! I have not had any issues with my 811. As far as DVR I dont need it and I see most everything I want to see so no need for me to record anything. But I know there are folks that like that option so it all depends on what floats your boat!

Poke said:
As far as DVR I dont need it and I see most everything I want to see so no need for me to record anything. But I know there are folks that like that option so it all depends on what floats your boat!

If you've never lived with a DVR you can't understand. There's a lot more than just recording. Try one for a month and I'll guarantee you won't want to give it up. :D

NightRyder

The 811 is a terrible piece of equipment. I have my 510 connected where I can switch back and forth between the 811 and the 510. The picture quality on the 811 blows.. sorry best work I can find to describe it. I will be sending it back for another 510, (one I'm using now is from the bedroom), it's junk anyway you look at it. It does provide a HD signal for dish, but for that you get SD channels that look worse than Cable tv after its been Tivo'ed.

I'm not like many who had to sign a 1 year agreement, I would recommend calling Dish and complaining. They will send the dang thing out to anyone who is thinking of leaving for no charge and no agreement. Wish it worked, but having HD is not worth having the sh#$% looking SD.

Stjtoday said:
The 811 is a terrible piece of equipment. I have my 510 connected where I can switch back and forth between the 811 and the 510. The picture quality on the 811 blows.. sorry best work I can find to describe it. I will be sending it back for another 510, (one I'm using now is from the bedroom), it's junk anyway you look at it. It does provide a HD signal for dish, but for that you get SD channels that look worse than Cable tv after its been Tivo'ed.

I'm not like many who had to sign a 1 year agreement, I would recommend calling Dish and complaining. They will send the dang thing out to anyone who is thinking of leaving for no charge and no agreement. Wish it worked, but having HD is not worth having the sh#$% looking SD.

Are you saying SD through the svideo and composite or SD in general? I have the 811 hooked via DVI to a 60" GWII. There is a dark video issue talked about numerious times on this forum that is seen on both svideo and composite. It is also on component and DVI, but is less visable (IMHO).

There is a couple things you can try to improve the SD.

1) Change the output on the 811 to 480p. Might want to check out 720p, but I don't think that will improve matters.
2) Try using Component/DVI for the 811.

In my configuration the SD PQ on my 811 is a far cry from blowing. Maybe I need to bring my 508 downstairs and do an A/B comparison. ;)

GaryPen said:
I was using a 510 side by side with my 811 into the same TV, and currently use a 721 and the 811. In both cases, the 811 looks much worse than either the 510 or 721 when viewing the SD channels, even using the 811's DVI output.

Interesting Gary.... What is the difference when you compare it to 811/480p and the 510 through svideo. In this case both would be using the TVs scaler right? I would expect the PQ would be about the same.. Wonder if this has anything to do with the dark video issue.

I find the PQ on SD about the same as it was on my 6000, but then again it has been awhile and maybe my eyes have adjusted. I was going to suggest that was the reason you feel the PQ has improved. Your mind has adjusted to the Dish PQ level and thus improved your perception of E* PQ. LOL

Another tip to improve PQ that worked for me was a power conditionar. With the larger sets anything that can improve SD PQ I would recommend doing. The SD limits are really being stretched.

Well sorry you are haveing issues! But folks need to remeber that 811 not going to work the same on every TV! So there are many things that can be the issue besides the receiver. It could be a cable issue and most time it is going to be your Tv. So again just because some folks have issues does not mean everyone will!

WeeJavaDude said:
Interesting Gary.... What is the difference when you compare it to 811/480p and the 510 through svideo. In this case both would be using the TVs scaler right? I would expect the PQ would be about the same..

Oops. I gave somebody else that very same advice, and forgot about it myself! Yes. The SD pic is improved via DVI out, when changing rez to 480.

However, it still does not look as good as the 721 or 510. I suspect it has something to do with the 811's HD conversion system. I have not compared the 811's s-video out, nor do I plan to.

GaryPen said:
Oops. I gave somebody else that very same advice, and forgot about it myself! Yes. The SD pic is improved via DVI out, when changing rez to 480.

However, it still does not look as good as the 721 or 510. I suspect it has something to do with the 811's HD conversion system. I have not compared the 811's s-video out, nor do I plan to.

Until the dark video issue is resolved, I would hold off judgement on PQ. However, I would expect you could get better results by having the TV do the up sizing. I would expect my 5K GWII to have a better scaler than my $149 HD receiver.

SD PQ from my Dish 811 on a Sammy HLN507W via DVI looks a whole lot better than it did with a 2700 or a 4700 via S-Video, all other factors equal.