This industry needs to be regulated

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I really don't have a problem with D*'s commitments when your a new customer.
They are giving you equipment that cost a lot of money when you add it all up, they need to make sure that your gonna be around...

Now, where I have a problem is when you are OUT of your 2 year commitment, I feel you should not have anymore commitments, you went thru your commitment and proved you were go for it ... provided you were.

Once your 2 yr commitment is over, you should be able to upgrade without a commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalyew and Cobra611
Well this certainly got interesting in the last few hours. Google free to air satellite or search around here. Still works in the boonies where you suggest dish and DTV are holding you hostage.

Looks to me like everybody but the OP is being pretty reasonable with their comments. I'm thinking this thread is on the border of needing some regulation.

We need less government oversight and more competition. More government oversight equals more taxes and less choice. Keep the government out of everything that isn't absolutely necessary. We need a strong national defense, some protection of our money & investments, some protection for those who are truly destitute and maybe the FDA & CDC other than that let competition and capitalism rule!

I really don't have a problem with D*'s commitments when your a new customer.
They are giving you equipment that cost a lot of money when you add it all up, they need to make sure that your gonna be around...

Now, where I have a problem is when you are OUT of your 2 yera commitment, I feel you should not have anymore commitments, you went thru your commitment and proved you were go for it ... provided you were.

Once your 2 yr commitment is over, you should be able to upgrade without a commitment.
The problem with not being put under another 2-year agreement on equipment upgrade is the same issue that the service provider (such as DirecTV) has on the initial 2-year equipment -- the ability to assure revenues will come in long enough to make a profit from your consumption of services.

It would be fantastic to find a way -- without commitment -- to ensure that a customer will definitely stay after they've received over $1,000 in new equipment/devices/apparatus.

So far, pinning liquidated damages in the range of 100's of dollars if someone terminates their agreement early has turned out to be the best deterrent to the company taking major losses on their outlays.

At least AT&T decreases those ETFs on certain types of contracts for the longer you remain with them. And, even better, their Next plans aren't even contract-based; they simply make you immediately pay off your device if you terminate early. I'm not sure DirecTV does the same.

If they were installing new gear in everyone's home and we didn't have reports of people getting refurb hr34s not that long ago I'd agree but that isn't the case. In addition if people get that and are unhappy they are pretty much screwed. Not exactly fair unless you keep up on things which many do not.

The op is wrong on many things but d* does have some questionable policies. I shouldn't get a2 year for activating a garbage non DVR out if the blue as an example and d*shouldn't be pushing old equipment on suckers with the same commitment as brand new.

We need less government oversight and more competition. More government oversight equals more taxes and less choice. Keep the government out of everything that isn't absolutely necessary. We need a strong national defense, some protection of our money & investments, some protection for those who are truly destitute and maybe the FDA & CDC other than that let competition and capitalism rule!
Exactly!

Tired of two year contracts?Packages of worthless channels you could careless about.How about pricing?Tired of paying more per month to have a clear picture,I am.Do you want to know how these satellite companys get away with it?It's because they are un-regulated,they do what they want when they want because they can.If you have ever had a problem with your power or landline phone,and got no satisfaction from your provider,or were un happy with the price you could call your public service commission,these guys hold the companys nose to the grind stone.What we really need is this industry to be regulated,call your legislatures and tell them and your state senators,THIS INDUSTRY NEEDS REGULATION...
Paid for tv service is a luxury service. So forget about it regulations. If you think you are "entitled" to a luxury product or service, then you are part of the issue.

People who complain about the price or cost of a luxury product or service feel no sympathy or empathy from me.

sat tv needs less regulation.
they should be allowed to provide nationwide locals if the real local wont retransmit.

i agree there are some worthless channels, but iirc some channels pay to be carried (shopping channels)
and help keep the price a bit lower.

So how does DIRECTV recover the costs of the equipment they offered that brought on the new commitment? Should those who don't upgrade have to pay a higher programming or lease fee to subsidize those who do but opt to leave before the equipment is depreciated?

Part of this is a little iffy as DIRECTV charges about as much to lease a receiver as the other guys boxes sell outright for so for those who paid to upgrade their leased equipment (or are paying for the Protection Plan), I wonder if it is fair.

The problem with not being put under another 2-year agreement on equipment upgrade is the same issue that the service provider (such as DirecTV) has on the initial 2-year equipment -- the ability to assure revenues will come in long enough to make a profit from your consumption of services.

It would be fantastic to find a way -- without commitment -- to ensure that a customer will definitely stay after they've received over $1,000 in new equipment/devices/apparatus.

So far, pinning liquidated damages in the range of 100's of dollars if someone terminates their agreement early has turned out to be the best deterrent to the company taking major losses on their outlays.

At least AT&T decreases those ETFs on certain types of contracts for the longer you remain with them. And, even better, their Next plans aren't even contract-based; they simply make you immediately pay off your device if you terminate early. I'm not sure DirecTV does the same.
I disagree, if i have been a sub in good standing thru the duration of that 2 year commitment, i should be good to go.
Now if during that 1st comment i was dilinquent on payment at any time then Yes a commitment is understandable.

I disagree, if i have been a sub in good standing thru the duration of that 2 year commitment, i should be good to go.
Now if during that 1st comment i was dilinquent on payment at any time then Yes a commitment is understandable.
It sounds like this assumes that you're going to remain in good standing for a while.

Commitments aren't about whether or not you are creditworthy -- they've already run your history. They're more about cost recovery on installations. If they've plowed resources into keeping you, they need to know that you're committed or they'll have to radically revise their operating model to account for the possibility that you won't stick around.

Find me a cable company where you don't have to have a contract, can pick the individual channels you want and don't have to pay for HD. All broadcasters are regulated, by the FCC and the satellite industry is regulated by the SBCA. You were not forced to sign a contract, you chose your provider. You have every right to leave or not get it in the first place just like anybody else.

Not to start a war, but here is what I have 100% digital TV pics that are in my estimation amazing. Channels start @ 0 and end @ 19xx. Added to this HI Speed internet available @ 90mb, (all tiers give you more mb's than what ordered) Unrestricted phone service, Free WiFi by cable provided Hot spots all over the state, bundle's get pretty reasonable. Local store to change out box's, at no charge, or you can have a truck roll and deliver/setup, 6 channel DVR's, no dealing with postage sending boxes back and forth, get the box you want, not what the installer has on the truck. WHDVR and on and on. There is no picking of individual channels, there are however many people wish that was available. I would be afraid of that because of increased prices. (those lower, seldom watched channels help pay the bill....Jewelry TV etc...)

Attachments

• freetv.JPG
    freetv.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 125
  • contract.JPG
    contract.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 102
It sounds like this assumes that you're going to remain in good standing for a while.

Commitments aren't about whether or not you are creditworthy -- they've already run your history. They're more about cost recovery on installations. If they've plowed resources into keeping you, they need to know that you're committed or they'll have to radically revise their operating model to account for the possibility that you won't stick around.
Never had even a close to late bill thru 9 years now.
That should be good enough to get something.

Not to start a war, but here is what I have 100% digital TV pics that are in my estimation amazing. Channels start @ 0 and end @ 19xx. Added to this HI Speed internet available @ 90mb, (all tiers give you more mb's than what ordered) Unrestricted phone service, Free WiFi by cable provided Hot spots all over the state, bundle's get pretty reasonable. Local store to change out box's, at no charge, or you can have a truck roll and deliver/setup, 6 channel DVR's, no dealing with postage sending boxes back and forth, get the box you want, not what the installer has on the truck. WHDVR and on and on. There is no picking of individual channels, there are however many people wish that was available. I would be afraid of that because of increased prices. (those lower, seldom watched channels help pay the bill....Jewelry TV etc...)
And you made no mention of channels available .... or who it is.

For 2 free upgrades I had plus free install over the years and free ST Max last season i'm fine with 2 year commitment
I have to pay for it eventually, Now if I never received free upgrades and payed on time and never late on bills
then I think I should get no commitments but pay at least $299 for HD DVR's or $499 for Genie HR44's but I would want those specific models with no refurbished, with commitment $129 for HD DVR's and $249 for Genie's but no older models
I think that sounds fair.

Think of it this way,if your a rural customer,you have two stores to shop from.Dish or Direct,no one else.It's a monopolistic business plan,and they know it,and are enjoying there hugh profits.It's not like buying groceries,where if you don't like the prices or products you can shop else where.When was the last time you went to a store to buy something and they told you they needed a 2 year commitment of shopping there or you couldn't buy their products?Or you went to the store and wanted to buy 10 items and they told you,you have to buy twenty items or they wouldn"t sell to you.It's the same idea.No you don't need television,no more than you need a phone,but when you decide to have either one,a customer needs to know the prices are fair,and that they get the service they want,and are willing to pay for.With no strings attached.I'm for ala carte programming and no commitment.

Costco. BJs. SAMs Club.

Reactions: cinsu
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)