This is cool, piracy map

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it more interesting that there are no reports from North America, Europe, Russia or China.

Looking at the reports, everywhere except around Somalia seem to be simple burglaries. People board and attempt to open a stores locker and then run off with stuff. I can't believe that this isn't happening in "civilized" nations as well, so there is some strangeness here. Perhaps in how it is reported.

I find it more interesting that there are no reports from North America, Europe, Russia or China.

Looking at the reports, everywhere except around Somalia seem to be simple burglaries. People board and attempt to open a stores locker and then run off with stuff. I can't believe that this isn't happening in "civilized" nations as well, so there is some strangeness here. Perhaps in how it is reported.
Not really if you think about it. America, China, Japan, Australia, England ect ect ect tend to be super powers and have tighter coastal water ways than the area's shown so its no surprise that we havent had any attacks no closer than Port-au Prince Haiti a country thats our closest third world neighbor.

Not really if you think about it. America, China, Japan, Australia, England ect ect ect tend to be super powers and have tighter coastal water ways than the area's shown so its no surprise that we havent had any attacks no closer than Port-au Prince Haiti a country thats our closest third world neighbor.

No, my point was that most of these reports are actually burglaries, the same as breaking into a house and stealing the TV. For example, here is the incident report from the costa Rica incident
23.07.2009: 2015 UTC: 09:58.5N – 083:00.5W: Puerto Limon anchorage, Costa Rica.

Two robbers in a boat boarded a container vessel at anchor. Crew noticed one robber trying to transfer stolen ship’s stores into the boat. The robber escaped with stores by jumping into the water. The ship and crew are safe.

Burglaries happen anywhere. These just happened to occur with commercial shipping. I guess your point is that port security is better, and I would agree at large ports like Long Beach. However, there are a lot of smaller ports in the US where the ships are not heavily guarded. There must be incidents.

Also, wasn't there a big stink a few months ago about a ship being hijacked in the North Sea, sailed through the English Channel and taken to Africa? I don't see that one on this list.

Well piracy is the act of thievery at the very least isn't it? So whether one or more individuals gains access to a vessel whether it be at sea or at dock and that access was done from another boat or from the water and exit was in a similar fashion then it should be piracy correct?

Well piracy is the act of thievery at the very least isn't it? So whether one or more individuals gains access to a vessel whether it be at sea or at dock and that access was done from another boat or from the water and exit was in a similar fashion then it should be piracy correct?

"There's a hole in the bucket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa..."

Which brings us back to my point in post #2. What makes North America and Europe different that there are no reports from either continent? Do you honestly believe that the ports are so secure that there were no incidents of theft from an American or European port?

Thought it was for DN pirates, that would of been cool to be able to detect huh .. LOL

I can think of two but it wasn't for this year and neither happened at ports of call but one could have been within say 20 or so miles and was on a freshwater lake while the other may have been say in neutral waters but considerably closer to US waters than ones shown. The only other situation that could be considered acts of piracy is smuggling drugs by way of go fast boats but I haven't seen anything on the news other than a history breaking bust that a local coast guard ship made that may or may not have taken place this year that was based here in Norfolk.

As I said before I believe that it comes down to actions and interpretations and I do agree with Vurbano that the flags do make for good bullseyes for target practice. Something does need to be done though considering that even with a strong naval presence in the most troubled waters somali pirates are still taking ships and they seized two in one day this week. I think its time to take the chains off our military and loose them upon somalia.

I'm not disagreeing about Somalia being a hellhole that is going to require some strong international action. I'm just trying to understand what this map actually represents.

Guess that I fail to understand what it is that your not understanding or seeing. The map shows the locations of attempted and successful attacks and robberies as committed or attempts to commit by robbers in the traditional sense of piracy by water using water going vessels.

Guess that I fail to understand what it is that your not understanding or seeing. The map shows the locations of attempted and successful attacks and robberies as committed or attempts to commit by robbers in the traditional sense of piracy by water using water going vessels.

Sigh. Look at the Brazil report. Someone burglarized a grounded yacht when nobody was aboard. The yacht was 20 yards offshore. The robbers probably waded out, and nobody ever saw them. The only component from your description is that there was a boat.

Which brings me back to the original question. How can we say that there never were any burglaries of boats in North America, Europe, or Russia? It seems very unlikely, and that says to me that this data is skewed to make some point. I am the sort of person that goes to snopes or factcheck when someone passes on this sort of stuff. It almost always is using misleading data just to make a point. I'd like to understand the point being made here, and this data has alarm bells ringing in my head.

Again, I am not arguing against Somalia being a hellhole, or that southeast Asia is a tough place to sail. Since we are just going round and round and can't seem to understand what each other is trying to say, I will stop with this response. Sorry to have wasted folks time.

Ok so robbers waded out in the water to get to the boat and again water is the common in all of this because its always present and so far from what I've seen in the reports every ship has been in the water. I'm sure that if there is an archive for 2007 or 2006 then the disapearance of the couple from Detroit enroute to Mackinac Island would show on the map where their boat was found running and abandoned in the water with blood smears. Maybe your expecting things to be different and maybe they are, I know that whenever I have went to the beach I've seen the coast guard patrolling the waters and on some occasions military helicopters and ships going out and coming in from deeper waters. I know our border security isn't perfect but I'm pretty sure its better than what it was pre 9/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)