This is crazy

The hell it ain't ...

DSL tops out at 6 mg (sometimes 12 mg, but for the most part, 6 mg)
U Verse internet runs up to 100 mg in some areas, a bit more in some areas.
50 mg is common as well.

DSL reaches 80-100 Mbps on Centurylink, and newer forms of DSL (used elsewhere in the world but not in the US AFAIK) can do a gigabit.

The hell it ain't ...

DSL tops out at 6 mg (sometimes 12 mg, but for the most part, 6 mg)
U Verse internet runs up to 100 mg in some areas, a bit more in some areas.
50 mg is common as well.

The only difference is the fact they put the Uverse V-rad within a few thousand feet of your home which you get a faster connection since the distance is shorter.

DSL reaches 80-100 Mbps on Centurylink, and newer forms of DSL (used elsewhere in the world but not in the US AFAIK) can do a gigabit.
DSL is a generic term ...
ATT's DSL does what I quoted ... basically up to 6 mg.
U verse Internet went from there up ...

I've only worked with ATT dsl and Uverse Internet since it started .

DSL comes from the central office. Uverse dsl comes from a Vrad
DSL does come from the office, yes.

Uverse comes from the VRAD ... yes, in Most cases ... When U verse took over for DSL, speeds went up, originally, U Verse was above 6 MG ...
Entirely different modems and technology between the two ...

After awhile we were able to use U Verse for the low speeds as well, under 6 where necessary ... believe it or not, there are plenty of places that are still under 6 mg. We no longer offer the 6 and under DSL ...
The VRAD for the lower speeds from the CO, is IN the CO.
The issue with the speed is the distance .... Some people are still trying to get internet over 15,000 ft, which is ridiculous.

As far as the U Verse higher speeds, up to 1200-1500 ft was eligible for 100 mg 15-2000 roughly was good for 75 mg. anything farther was at 50 mg or lower.

Now, with that info, I believe that they could and may move those speeds up as I had been reading close to 200 mg on my meters in 100 mg areas for awhile now.

The only difference is the fact they put the Uverse V-rad within a few thousand feet of your home which you get a faster connection since the distance is shorter.
If it uses a Vrad, its not DSL.

How this internet conversation got in the Directv forum is unknown and why you continue to try to tell me how to do my job for the last 25 years is beyond me.

Btw, not all CO offices are the same ... they don't all have the same capabilities, it all depends on where its at, and I'm sure that varies from city to city.

I live in a rural area where we have recent access to spectrum gig, and AT&T's idea of competition for that is 12mbps or less. We're hoping that soon Starlink will be able to provide some actual competition to spectrum.

I had AT&T 12mbps and Directv for two years but switched to a spectrum internet and TV bundle when they upgraded the area to gig.
Good call moving on seeing they couldn't come close to what the other was offering.

We

We barely get winter here lol. It's like spring starts in December, and then summer hits in April.
Yup,
I prefer it in the 70*s but lower 80*s are ok too ...
Lows when I'm down there usually in the 50*s to mid 60*s, which is PERFECT ...
Wake up in the mornings, walk outside and its a crisp 60*, thats Awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)