This is What HD Should Look Like

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
Here are some HD pics for you guys to look at. The day Voom looks like this is the day I will stop complaining about PQ. For those of you who have never experienced a good HD picture, this is what it's all about. :D

Go down the page a few posts and look for the links.

DarrellP said:
Here are some HD pics for you guys to look at. The day Voom looks like this is the day I will stop complaining about PQ. For those of you who have never experienced a good HD picture, this is what it's all about. :D

Go down the page a few posts and look for the links.
Are those CBS OTA? or D*'s network feed of CBS HD? 19.3 mbps HD over sat is probably unreasonable to expect. Better to get some pics of HDnet for the "standard".

CBS OTA. Vurbano, how do you explain HDNET's clarity? It's better than my CBS, they only allocate around 13-14 mbps.

DarrellP said:
CBS OTA. Vurbano, how do you explain HDNET's clarity? It's better than my CBS, they only allocate around 13-14 mbps.
most satellite providers jack up the bitrate on HDnet to 15 or 17 mbps, cuban demands it I think. Of course it looks better than your cbshd OTA because your cbs affiliate is multicasting probably 2 SD subchannels from the looks of those numbers. Let me guess. A weather radar and an SD duplicate?. LMAO MIne only has the radar going which doesnt take much of the 19.3 mbps. so what I get is CBSHD better than HDnet or equal.

But my PBS HD station sucks. 3 full SD subchannels. so bad they had to hide the pixelation by converting it to 720p. Now its just dull.

CBS and ABC OTA look great in my area, it's extremely noticeable, CSI and Cold Case were watched in my house before I went to HD, now I am sitting in front of the TV a good 20 minutes before these shows to enjoy them. I'm glad Voom isn't trying to force OTA down their Sat. pipe line.. I want them to up the b/w to be more like my OTA HD channels.

my Voom HD's look every bit that good........I'm talking the ones filmed in HD, not those upconverted BS they have

I'm guessing my TV is just too cheap since I get graininess on my HD picture on Voom.

Neutron said:
I'm guessing my TV is just too cheap since I get graininess on my HD picture on Voom.

Neutron, my PQ was very grainy with my TV's factory default settings. Have you tweaked your TV's settings? I had to turn the sharpness way down to get rid of the grain, but that did the trick. My PQ is great now OTA Locals always look superb as do other 1080 HD channels.

rkr0923 said:
my Voom HD's look every bit that good........I'm talking the ones filmed in HD, not those upconverted BS they have
Which channels? Anything other than OTA, I highly doubt it. The Grid tonight on TNTHD was as close to OTA as I've seen.

txdude said:
My OTA CBS PQ is just as good... If your OTA PQ is bad, call or write your local CBS affiliate.
Tried that, they are throttling back their image to 1440 lines and 12 mbps with a sub channel for SD. Our best local OTA is ABC (& NBC when in HD & PBS for the 2 shows/week that are actually HD). :(

DarrellP said:
Tried that, they are throttling back their image to 1440 lines and 12 mbps with a sub channel for SD. Our best local OTA is ABC (& NBC when in HD & PBS for the 2 shows/week that are actually HD). :(
Sorry to hear that Darrell :no . Maybe they'll wise up soon. I don't know the specifics for my local affiliates, but I know that CBS and NBC and ABC all have very good PQ. CBS and NBC being the best with ABC slightly trailing. PBS looks great too. The only real problem I have with my Locals is that all the major networks and PBS are broadcasting the black borders for 4:3 content which irks me because my TV can not stretch the picture with those borders added on.

Our CBS does turn off the subchannel and devote the entire bandwidth to a special event, but other than that, it's back to the same old macroblocking with any movement. The picture looks fabulous when it's static or there's very little movement.

Supposedly our CBS checked out all the encoders available at the time and the one they chose was supposed to be able to deliver an HD picture at ~ 13 mbps without any degredation. I will say they look better than NBC on upconverted material, but when all hell breaks loose on the screen, so does the image.

DarrellP said:
Why am I the only member at AVS who screams about setting a minimum birate for mpeg2 codec for 1080i and 720p? Nothing affects our PQ more than that does. I dont get it. I keep throwing it out there and no one will support it? This is exactly your problem Darrell, its all of our problems. These affiliates are going SD subchannel happy and giving many of us HD "lite". Then they cry about not wanting distant network feeds into their areas. Too funny.

A question for all the wise people in the forum:
will the future switch to mpeg4/wm9 increase voom's PQ or are they just planning to increase the number of channels from whatever benefit the switch might bring??

Jbonds84 said:
will the future switch to mpeg4/wm9 increase voom's PQ or are they just planning to increase the number of channels from whatever benefit the switch might bring??
That's one of them $64 questions.

Jbonds84 said:
Wilt acts like the PQ is great and Sean says he knows of no plans to improve PQ:(

I saw that episode of Cold Case and it DID look good. I thought I was seeing more detail siince I had a cataract removed on Friday.

When true HD shows every pore and imperfection in somebody's face, I know I could get a starring role on the Monster Channel and won't have to wear makeup.

The Stone Man said:
I thought I was seeing more detail siince I had a cataract removed on Friday.
Did you really have a cataract, or did you just think you did from watching too much Equator HD :D If so, you should send Voom the bill. Hope everything's alright now. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts