THIS is why I will NEVER side with MLB owners....

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
...And you know, the Marlins did not invent this nor more than likely, not the only team doing this!!:rant::rant::mad::mad:

What we have long suspected hardened as truth Monday when leaked financial documents left little doubt that Loria has profited big from years of spending too little on the product he presents to fans.

Now we know why the club fought so hard to keep its finances a secret even as the city and county wanted full disclosure during negotiations for its new stadium. It's because what you see when the curtain is thrown open and the light pours in is an owner who could have spent much more on players and still made money.

What you see is a ball club that was crying poverty with pockets full.

The website Deadspin.com reported detailed ``consolidated balance sheets'' of five teams, including the Marlins, and it reveals that in 2008 and '09 the Marlins had a combined operating income of some $49 million, with a net operating income -- a true, bottom-line profit -- of $33.4 million those two years.

Is it any wonder Major League Baseball publicly admonished the Marlins before this season to increase its player payroll? Now we know why. If only they did it sooner.

Marlins president David Samson hopped on a conference call to do some damage control Monday. He can spin with the best of them, but he was overwhelmed by facts.

I thought it telling that his opening statement was to huff and puff against the unknown ``criminal'' who leaked the documents. (Always love teams hiding behind the private-company shield while accepting millions in public money to build a new stadium.)

Samson scrambled, reworking the company line to jibe with the leaked documents. He has spent years claiming the payroll was low because revenue was low -- blaming the club not being profitable. Now we know revenue was high enough to make a handsome profit. So he said Monday payrolls were low to help fund the new park.

Hmm. Apparently MLB didn't buy that and is telling the club to spend more.

You begin to think of the what-ifs entailed in ``what if the Marlins spent as much as they could have all this time rather than clipping coupons?''

One major answer is that Miguel Cabrera would not have been shipped to Detroit in a cost-cutting move before the 2008 season. The Marlins had the money to sign Cabrera long-term without ending in the fiscal red. The prized slugger should still be here. His .341 average, 31 homers and 101 RBI should be in the heart of this batting order right now, helping the Marlins make the playoffs.

Samson said, ``We could have had Cabrera and no ballpark.''

Hmm, again. The net profit in 2008 was some $37.8 million -- largely because they jettisoned Cabrera's salary. That was not money toward the new park. That was profit.

Another answer to what-if is the club could have spent enough last offseason to shore up the bullpen and give itself a realistic chance at the playoffs.

You know how much the Marlins received from revenue sharing alone in 2008-09? About $92 million. Low-revenue teams are supposed to spend that to better compete. The Marlins not doing that is what led to the public admonishment that forced the payroll increase from the second-lowest of 30 teams to what still is in the bottom five.

Read more: Now we have proof Florida Marlins' frugality was a poor excuse - Greg Cote - MiamiHerald.com

I know....I know...I know....BUT, IF they would have kept Cabrerra:

Coughlin
Sanchez
Ramirez
Cabrerra
Uggla

would have been a NASTY top of the order, middle of the lineup! :eek:

OK, I ma slightly depressed now....:(

This has been brought up a number of times by the owners of the Yankees, Red Sox, and other teams that are PAYING through revenue sharing, that teams who receive revenue sharing funding do not use the money to invest in players...they put it in their pockets. The Yankees alone have contributed hundreds of millions of dollars since the advent of revenue sharing.

Sandra

This has been brought up a number of times by the owners of the Yankees, Red Sox, and other teams that are PAYING through revenue sharing, that teams who receive revenue sharing funding do not use the money to invest in players...they put it in their pockets. The Yankees alone have contributed hundreds of millions of dollars since the advent of revenue sharing.

Sandra

I agree! :up

I've said it before and I'll say it again, come talk to me about a salary cap AFTER you install a salary FLOOR!! :rolleyes:

Sandra

IF I were the Yankees and any other team putting in MILLIONS to "revenue sharing"....I would be pissed! This is why some many small market fans do no trust ownership in any way, shape or form.

IF I were the Yankees and any other team putting in MILLIONS to "revenue sharing"....I would be pissed! This is why some many small market fans do no trust ownership in any way, shape or form.

The big market teams have brought this up a number of times. If I were a fan of a small market team I would be really mad. People are spending their hard earned dollars while ownership has demonstrated they care more about making a profit than they do about winning and perhaps making less of a profit.

Sandra

The big market teams have brought this up a number of times. If I were a fan of a small market team I would be really mad. People are spending their hard earned dollars while ownership has demonstrated they care more about making a profit than they do about winning and perhaps making less of a profit.

Sandra

Like Bill stated, there should be a minimum of what teams should spend. I HARDLY doubt that a owners commissioner would ever do that. I am surprised that MLB actually put their foot down on the Marlins to spend MORE.

Why do you think they voted for not having a salary cap.

The Pirate fans are the ones you have to feel for.:( IF I am not mistaken, they have not had a winning season in almost 18 years....and it's really because the way it looks, they ownership has never tried.

The Pirate fans are the ones you have to feel for.:( IF I am not mistaken, they have not had a winning season in almost 18 years....and it's really because the way it looks, they ownership has never tried.

Yeah, it sucks. Maybe with the signing of these three young pitchers it will look good in a couple years.

GOTTA love the owners mouthpieces "circling the wagons"

...these guys are so f***ing pathetic! Instead of putting the heads together and saying, "ok, we were busted...."..they do THIS:

The New York Times on Monday reported that MLB has narrowed its search for the leaks, citing an anonymous baseball executive. Baseball officials declined to comment on the probe, according to the report.

On Monday, Deadspin.com published recent financial documents from the Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay Rays, Seattle Mariners and Los Angeles Angels. The Associated Press obtained and reported the Pittsburgh Pirates' recent financial statements on Sunday.

"It's a breach of confidential information," Tim Mead, the Angels' vice president of communications, said Monday, according to the Los Angeles Times. "We're going to let it run its course and the appropriate people are looking into it."

Marlins team president David Samson called the leak "a breach of fiduciary obligation and duty by the leaking party."

"It's a crime, and it will be followed up intensely by Major League Baseball and its member clubs," Samson said Monday during a conference call

Major League Baseball searching for source of team financial data leaks - ESPN

And the leader of the pack, that mighty mouth smug bastard, David Samson....:rolleyes::mad:

Yeah, it sucks. Maybe with the signing of these three young pitchers it will look good in a couple years.

What sucks is they have what is (IMO) the best looking ballpark in baseball, but won't put a product to match on the field.

Never been there, but it looks awesome on TV.

What sucks is they have what is (IMO) the best looking ballpark in baseball, but won't put a product to match on the field.

I have and I loved it! The fans are extremely friendly to non-local fans and quite knowledgeable. I was there in 2004. It looks MUCH bigger than what it really is because hit supposedly hold less people than Wrigley. I am dying to go again.:up

What's amazing is that a small market team like the Twins can get it right and compete every year, while other teams either flounder annually (Pirates, Royals, etc.) or are able to compete occasionally because of good scouting (Marlins, Athletics, etc.), but have to continually sell off their assets.

But the Twins somehow manage to be competitive year after year. :up

Sandra

The problem is that the fans keep going. As long as the owners make money they don't have to put a good team on the field.

I stopped going to games until they are competitive, they don't have to make the playoffs, just be competitive and be just ONE game over 500.

Plus the damn subway under the river has to be built so I don't have to walk so far to my car after the game.:D

They signed two high school pitchers and a 16 year old from Mexico who can throw 93 MPH. Looks promising.

Bucs land 16-year-old pitching prospect | pirates.com: News

Draftees Taillon, Allie headed to Pittsburgh | pirates.com: News

I have and I loved it! The fans are extremely friendly to non-local fans and quite knowledgeable.

I'm not surprised. When I started to follow baseball in the mid 70's Pittsburgh was a hot bed for baseball.............always on ABC's Monday Night Baseball or NBC's Saturday Game of the Week. Dave Parker, Willie Stargell, Bill Madlock, John Candelaria, Kent Tekulve, etc. were household names.

Then again in the early 90's with that great outfield: Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke.

It's a shame what the current ownership has done to a once proud baseball town! :(

I'm not surprised. When I started to follow baseball in the mid 70's Pittsburgh was a hot bed for baseball.............always on ABC's Monday Night Baseball or NBC's Saturday Game of the Week. Dave Parker, Willie Stargell, Bill Madlock, John Candelaria, Kent Tekulve, etc. were household names.

Then again in the early 90's with that great outfield: Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke.

It's a shame what the current ownership has done to a once proud baseball town! :(

Plus we were in the first world series.:D

Future prospects look good.

What's amazing is that a small market team like the Twins can get it right and compete every year, while other teams either flounder annually (Pirates, Royals, etc.) or are able to compete occasionally because of good scouting (Marlins, Athletics, etc.), but have to continually sell off their assets.

But the Twins somehow manage to be competitive year after year. :up

Sandra

I always point to the Twins and A's as the two small market franchises that get it right. The Marlins to a lesser extent with two championships, but they sold off all their good players (especially after 1997).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts