THIS is why I will NEVER side with MLB owners....

If I owned a baseball team in a small market I would spend on players but I would also have to be thinking that the Yankees or Red Sox would go after him with big money I couldn't pay. They've done it before. Look at the owners of baseball teams today. It's not a smart investment . Yes we have revenue sharing but it still didn't stop the Yankees from spending a ton of money of the last 10 years. While it didn't give them all of the championships they wanted , it might have cost other teams the World Series because they lost key players . You won't see much change no matter who owns the Marlins. This is why the NFL is doing much better then MLB.

Much ado about nothing.

Though I do agree with dropping the hammer on the leaker in this case.

There isn't going to be a salary Cap, nor floor.

The biggest thing this will cause will be the looming showdown on how revenues from large market teams are redistributed among the small market teams.

Yankees, Red sox Mets, Phillies should be pissed, Marlins Pirates Royals and the likes should be ashamed. Most every other team falls in the middle.

The battle at the outset of bargaining for the New Labor Contract will be Owner vs Owner, Not Owners vs Players Association.

Biggest thing Owners need to accomplish with the Player's Association will be a Worldwide slotted draft.

No more Latin Free Agents, No more Japanese players signed without being drafted. No more holdouts for Strasburg, Harper and the likes right up till 11.59PM signing deadline day.

No more record Signing bonuses, Slotted Worldwide Draft addresses all this.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. ESPECIALLY the part about no international players not getting signed without being drafted.

If baseball did have a salary cap you would get much better owners. At least they would know they had a chance to get and keep good players.

If baseball did have a salary cap you would get much better owners. At least they would know they had a chance to get and keep good players.

I overheard this morning and thought it made sense. You almost hope owners run their teams as a hobby more than as a business. The reason behind that statement made because as a business, you will worry about the bottom line than fielding an attractive product on the field. As opposed running it like hobby and that way you get to "spruce up your toy".

The problem is that the fans keep going. As long as the owners make money they don't have to put a good team on the field.

I stopped going to games until they are competitive, they don't have to make the playoffs, just be competitive and be just ONE game over 500.

Plus the damn subway under the river has to be built so I don't have to walk so far to my car after the game.:D

They signed two high school pitchers and a 16 year old from Mexico who can throw 93 MPH. Looks promising.

Bucs land 16-year-old pitching prospect | pirates.com: News

Draftees Taillon, Allie headed to Pittsburgh | pirates.com: News

You know, sometimes owners just don't have a clue about running a professional sports franchise too. I'll give you William Clay Ford (Lions),and Don Sterling (Clippers), as prime examples of owners who haven't a clue. My own beloved Red Wings where floundering for seasons, until Ilitch came in and hired a "hockey man" to run them. How many consecutive years have the Red Wings been in the playoffs now?

Other times, some owners are just misers, too. The Black Sox scandal showed us that. Those misers are idiots also. You got to spend money to make money.

Remember what Loria did to the Expos? Remember how bad he f***ed them over...He'll do that to the Marlins too

I don't think he will f**k the Marlins as much as he will f**k OVER South Florida. As soon as the Marlins open that stadium, they will make the playoffs and make millions...they will sell that team and make multi-multi-multi millions and south Florida will lose OUT on those millions.

I don't think he will f**k the Marlins as much as he will f**k OVER South Florida. As soon as the Marlins open that stadium, they will make the playoffs and make millions...they will sell that team and make multi-multi-multi millions and south Florida will lose OUT on those millions.

Pittsburgh has a beautiful new stadium, and that hasn't helped them out of their mess. A new stadium is no guarantee of anything. Ask the Mets.

Sandra

Pittsburgh has a beautiful new stadium, and that hasn't helped them out of their mess. A new stadium is no guarantee of anything. Ask the Mets.

Sandra

The METS overpriced themselves while trying to c of onvince themselves and the city of New York that they had a World Series contender. The overpaid alot of players and they are paying for it.

The Pirates are different. But look at Milwaukee, they have done better since they
opened the new stadium....both in success on and off the field. I figure that IF the REDS can continue on the very competitive ways for the next couple of years, I see them going the same route the Brewers went. The Orioles use to fill that stadium....when they one. When you build it and win, they will come.

The METS overpriced themselves while trying to c of onvince themselves and the city of New York that they had a World Series contender. The overpaid alot of players and they are paying for it.

The Mets situation is WAY more complicated than that. It cannot be neatly summed up in two sentences.

The Pirates are different. But look at Milwaukee, they have done better since they
opened the new stadium....both in success on and off the field. I figure that IF the REDS can continue on the very competitive ways for the next couple of years, I see them going the same route the Brewers went. The Orioles use to fill that stadium....when they one. When you build it and win, they will come.

You do have to win, that's for sure. I'm just saying a new stadium is not a guarantee of winning. You can give examples either way.

Sandra

The marlins profit for was only 37 million for the year? That includes the revenue sharing I take it? So that tells me they are handing on by a thread. If not for the 90million in revenue sharing theyd be broke.

Hell 37 million will barely get you two super star players, then what? No more profit? Why would they do that.

The Brewers drafted very well. The Pirates among other teams had a chance for Fielder but passed.:eek:

You do have to win, that's for sure. I'm just saying a new stadium is not a guarantee of winning. You can give examples either way.

Sandra

No, it does not guarantee winning, but it should guarentee more money to help improve the product on the field, which, if done right, will lead to winning. And now with this report, it clearly states that some of the low end markets ARE making money, but instead of the going into improving their product, it's improving owners bank accounts.

No, it does not guarantee winning, but it should guarentee more money to help improve the product on the field, which, if done right, will lead to winning. And now with this report, it clearly states that some of the low end markets ARE making money, but instead of the going into improving their product, it's improving owners bank accounts.

Exactly. :up

Sandra

Making money sure, but not a ton of money. Sorry but 35million is chump change in the grand scheme of things. Thats not even enough to cover say A-Rod in the height of his contract. If they bought a player like him now they have 0 profit. Not good business sense now is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts