This might be a crazy question, but where are all the channels up there

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skyscanner4ever

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 6, 2012
Beaumont,Texas
tv show or soap feeds on ku?

I used to watch them on c band back years ago, seemed like every show a station would have would be fed to them via satellite. Do they still do that or is it through cpu now? Also if so are any tv show or soaps fed through ku and is there a schedule anywhere?

thanks

skyscanner4ever

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 6, 2012
Beaumont,Texas
Ok if you added up all the local channels in america you might come up with, idk? a couple thousand local stations combined, my question is shouldnt they all be up there? you know maybe even some of the little independants should be ITC for free? I mean if dish and direct tv get them where are they coming from? Shouldnt we be able to also scan them in on our systems like we do the other feeds going up there?

I would love to be able to get other out of market indy stations because alot of them have tv shows we cant find anywhere else! There used to be a station in houston, two actually called the tube and knws and they had shows you couldnt find anywhere else that were rarely syndicated like the ropers, lol.

where are they all at if every channel is up there? anybody?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
This isn't the mid 1980's, it's not such a free for all anymore. Every channel is NOT "up there". Some are, but most re-broadcasters like Dish have them come in on direct fiber links or phone line, or have antenna farms set up in the local dma's ect. Perhaps some places have them come in via internet. There's plenty up on satellite though, both KU and C-band, but some (a lot) are encrypted. You simply have to set up your dishes, start scanning, and taking notes where stuff is. Then when you find a station, Google it and hope you find their schedule.... Works real well for me...

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Yep, there's many locals available on the pay-systems, but in most cases you can't buy 'em, even with their equipment and contract-programming packages. Because of all the rules these days, you're lucky to get your own locals with the pay systems. As noted above, dish and direct are the ones paying for access to those channels, for their customers, and of course they are scrambled on their satellites. Google 'syndex' for some more reasons you can't buy much out of market signals.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
This goes back to your other question, mostly. It's a whole new universe of tv these days. You may be able to find some early feeds of some shows if you start scanning the network channels, probably late at night, but I don't know of a schedule. Programming rights-holders are much more protective of their content than they used to be in the c=band days, and make it harder to watch their stuff outside of the intended affiliates. I've even heard some of them are scrambling their affiliate feeds, or early broadcasts.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
As noted above, all the country locals are NOT on (unscrambled) satellite.

But if you want to know which satellites have lots of choices, take a peek at The List.
See top of any page for link.

skyscanner4ever

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 6, 2012
Beaumont,Texas
yeah used to in the day i would scan for old sitcoms that were only on a few channels, i remember a diffrent strokes feed schedule back in the late 90's when only a few upn were showing it, and as a kid watching tmnt every summer weekday morning at 5 a.m! I would watch like 8 eps in a row and tell my friends and they thought i was making it up, they had basic cable! lol

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I merged your thread together since they pretty much deal with the same thing

But to answer the questions.....yes there are still wild feeds of the syndicated shows. They are mainly on C-Band. But with fibre and IP its not as much

I mean if dish and direct tv get them where are they coming from?
They gather the signal 2 ways
1. they gather them OTA just like we would
2. They have a direct fibre connection

In major markets they gather all the stations OTA and one station in the market (known as the local facility station) they have a direct fibre connection to the provider.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)