This says "moving" is against the law????

Put it this way, I have in the past Hackintoshed a PC to run a purchased version of macOS. I haven't done it in over a year now, and it was for personal use. I never did this for anyone other than myself. That's against the EULA, yet not illegal. I see that as being more taboo than "moving". That's regardless of how much bullcrap I think both are.

Are you saying it's against the terms of Mac/Apple's EULA?

Are you saying it's against the terms of Mac/Apple's EULA?
Yup. According to the EULA from Apple, you agree to only use macOS on an Apple "branded" computer. Some wiseasses put Apple stickers on their computers and argue that it's an Apple "branded" computer. Basically, if you legally purchased the license (had to be from buying an iMac, Mac Mini, or MacBook), and you don't intent to take profit from Apple (you don't do this for anyone else, be it for free or profit) then I see it as you aren't taking money from Apple. I use my wife's MacBook to get the backup from Boot Camp. Personally, I refuse to use their hardware. The computer I did it on was an Acer, and it eventually died from old age. I'm obviously leaving out steps, as to not promote taking money from Apple.

I actually use Windows and Ubuntu for daily work. As I serve as the school's liaison to the district's tech department, I used the Hackintosh to test programs on macOS for teachers. The district's technological infrastructure uses Windows, and the tech department won't help faculty who chooses to their own personal Macs, instead of the district provided Dells.

I had Parallels loaded on my Mac for several years. It allowed me to run Windows programs on it. Apple had no issue with that at all.

Reactions: pattykay
I had Parallels loaded on my Mac for several years. It allowed me to run Windows programs on it. Apple had no issue with that at all.
My counter part is running a program like that. May be the same one, but the software we use for our work only operates On Windows, and we all have Macs.

My counter part is running a program like that. May be the same one, but the software we use for our work only operates On Windows, and we all have Macs.
I was running a Windows version of Autocad on my Mac Mini using Parralels. It would have cost me many thousands of dollars to replace it with a Mac version. Parralels is a true Windows Operating System that runs along side OS on Macs.

Sounds about what he has. He has to hit the buttons and change between OS’s. He only runs one program on it, and it’s called Xactimate.

I agree with navychop. For me, the convenience of the additional satellite tuner and additional OTA tuner make up for the inconvenience of having to add a USB adapter to be able to get OTA at all. The Wally also has On Demand and Apps built in. So basically, compared to mwdxer1's setup, I am adding an OTA adapter but eliminating the Fire Stick, which makes it a wash as far as how much equipment is required. (I realize that a lot more programming is available through the Fire Stick, but I am just speaking in terms of accessing Dish programming and some other popular streaming apps such as Netflix and Pandora.)

The OTA tuner is not as important as it used to be. I still like everything in one place, but I purchased the ReCast, so that gives me a 2 week accurate guide for all of my locals (16) and the built in 500GB HDD. I bought it on sale for $129 off Amazon and it works well with both of my Fire Sticks. The Dish OTA guide on all of my networks are still messed up. Except for a few diginets which are accurate. But the Recast covers everything accurately. As far a a Wally or Hopper, the jury is still out on if I stay with satellite. I spend a lot of my viewing these days via the internet on the Fire Stick(s), Roku and Chromecast. As it stands now Dish still has enough channels I like I cannot get elsewhere, so I will stay with Dish. Nothing out there via Satellite/Cable that I would want. Spectrum & Direct are too expensive and Direct has no diginets. A few are on Spectrum, but Dish has a lot that Spectrum doesn't have either. Dish has been good to me and they have helped keep my bill down. Which I really appreciate.

Reactions: pattykay
I remember way back in the day before my locals were on spot beams. There was a larger market a few hundred miles from here that had locals on a spot beam that covered my area. I found a school address, added a number to it and moved. Kept my locals for that city until my DMA was eventually added. I can't see anyone getting in legal trouble for 'moving'.

However, I can't really see a reason to 'move' like there used to be.

Reactions: Tampa8
I remember way back in the day before my locals were on spot beams. There was a larger market a few hundred miles from here that had locals on a spot beam that covered my area. I found a school address, added a number to it and moved. Kept my locals for that city until my DMA was eventually added. I can't see anyone getting in legal trouble for 'moving'.

However, I can't really see a reason to 'move' like there used to be.

For most I would agree the reasons for moving are diminished. There are still some reasons, perhaps to get your sports team. Sometimes a neighboring DMA has a better channel lineup on DISH or fewer premptions.

Add to the above reasons that sometimes "moving" across the state line can allow you to avoid your state's sales tax and surcharges on the Dish bill. In some cases, it is not even necessary to change your locals, just "move" to a different address in the same DMA in another state, and see the savings on your bill.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I was running a Windows version of Autocad on my Mac Mini using Parralels. It would have cost me many thousands of dollars to replace it with a Mac version. Parralels is a true Windows Operating System that runs along side OS on Macs.
You're allowed to run Windows on any Apple desktop or laptop you wish. I know pleanty of people who duel boot Macs to run both macOS and Windows. Microsoft doesn't have an EULA that forbids Windows users from running on Apple computers. Microsoft is a software company, and makes its money off its software. Apple is a hardware company and makes a proprietary software that lures in respective customers to its hardware. For Microsoft, it doesn't matter if you buy an Apple, Lenovo, Acer, Dell, or Surface. For Apple, the software is free. They want you to buy the hardware. Even if decides to sell macOS, it is an economy built on dongles and locked iCloud ecosystems. If that software was allowed onto competing PCs, Apple would go bankrupt.

Here is my daughter's situation in Texas. She lives out in the country at the extreme county line. Her mailing address is in a little town in the next county. So her DMA is to a city that is much further away than the city that her and husband work and they do everything. So they want their locals from that city instead of the city in their assigned DMA. So this is why they use the "move get around DMA method." So is this against the law?

Here is my daughter's situation in Texas. She lives out in the country at the extreme county line. Her mailing address is in a little town in the next county. So her DMA is to a city that is much further away than the city that her and husband work and they do everything. So they want their locals from that city instead of the city in their assigned DMA. So this is why they use the "move get around DMA method." So is this against the law?
No, it is NOT "against the law". Allowing you to do it may technically violate some FCC rule on Dish's part, but not on your part.

Could anything be said about purposefully providing a wrong address to change your service address fall under fraud somehow? I’m thinking back to stealing cable, little black boxes.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Could anything be said about purposefully providing a wrong address to change your service address fall under fraud somehow? I’m thinking back to stealing cable, little black boxes.
There is a difference between lying and fraud. To be considered fraud, there would have to be some financial gain, or an intention to achieve a financial gain, such as the example I gave earlier about "moving" to avoid state sales tax. That would be tax evasion.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)