Thought to Ponder: Here is one thing NCAA football does better than NCAA basketball

umm... I would include Ole Miss, Miss St, Kentucky with the cupcakes, not to mention Georgia who possitivily reaked this year. Sorry, while I agree that the SEC is currently the best (mostly because it has the most top teams), it's bottom is as bad or worse (see Vandy) as any other conference.

I wouldnt have included Miss State on the cupcake list this year. They were very solid.

OK, now that I got your attention, please be advised this is NOT a referendum on March Madness. This has quite possibly been the most AMAZING March Madness of my lifetime. From the two late games last Friday all through the weekend games, EVERY game was riveting. Just incredible drama game after game. Do not change that...do not ever change it.

That said, here is the statement I would like you to ponder...

There is a MUCH better chance you will get the two best teams in the BCS championship game than you will in the NCAA basketball championship game.

Think about it...the very thing that makes March Madness so exciting is the one-and-done nature of it. But that's also the very thing that mitigates against having the best teams in the finals.

Would have been nice to see Kansas-Ohio State, the two best teams play in the finals. If instead of one-and-done there was a seven game series (or even three game series), that's probably what we'd be looking at, with Duke and one of the Big East teams also a possibility.

Again, please don't reply that they need to keep March Madness the way it is. I think we ALL agree to that.

But it doesn't change the fact that the best basketball team has less of a chance to win a national championship than the best football team does.

Just sayin'...

Sandra

Total nonsense. Who says Kansas and Ohio St. were best? RPI? Polls? Sandra?

There is a slippery slope that is impossible to ignore here - you open up a sport to the judging process, just like football. The only benefit basketball has, is a greater sample size (ie you're more likely to get more accurate "ratings" as season goes on), but it's still not good enough.

Give me the tournament, where ratings are part of the process, but only a part, and let the rest play out. Best combo.

There is a slippery slope that is impossible to ignore here - you open up a sport to the judging process, just like football. The only benefit basketball has, is a greater sample size (ie you're more likely to get more accurate "ratings" as season goes on), but it's still not good enough.

Give me the tournament, where ratings are part of the process, but only a part, and let the rest play out. Best combo.

Question...if the NCAA tournament were all seven game series instead of one-and-done, with the higher seeded team getting home court advantage, do you think we'd have a better chance of getting the two best teams in the finals? If you say no, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree and move on.

Obviously this is purely hypothetical and there is no reason to respond with a bunch of reasons why 67 seven games series are not logistically possible. We all know what they are.

But the point remains that a seven game series would give you a better chance of the best team advancing than one-and-done on a neutral court. That's not the RPI speaking, that's not polls speaking, that's not Sandra speaking...that's the GAMES speaking.

Sandra

you might as well ask if playing games on Mars would get a better read on things.

UConn just broke the record for games played in a season with 41. How many best-of series would you have?

you might as well ask if playing games on Mars would get a better read on things.

UConn just broke the record for games played in a season with 41. How many best-of series would you have?

Telling us why it's not logistically possible, when I specifically said we can all agree it's not logistically possible, so we don't need reasons...check.

Must be a UConn grad. ;) :D

Sandra

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear enough:

Your point is so absurd, that it really shouldn't even be commented on.

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear enough:

Your point is so absurd, that it really shouldn't even be commented on.

My point is that a seven game series, where one team has home court advantage, would give you a better chance of the best team advancing than one-and-done on a neutral court. If you want to think that's absurd...feel free to not comment.

Sandra

My point is that a seven game series, where one team has home court advantage, would give you a better chance of the best team advancing than one-and-done on a neutral court. If you want to think that's absurd...feel free to not comment.
Yes it would, but would require a lot less teams in the tournament.
Same argument could be made for the NFL, wouldn't a best of ... have a better chance of the best team advancing?

As it is, a series of ... removes the excitement factor and is probably why baseball's playoff ratings are pathetic.

So a 60th ranked team gets hot and wins 6 games in a row and they are the BEST in the Nation over the year ?
NO, they were the best in a three week period.

So a 60th ranked team gets hot and wins 6 games in a row and they are the BEST in the Nation over the year ?
Championships are won at the end though, it's that way for every sport except div-1a football.

If a team was the best, then they'd do what was needed to do, and that's win in the playoffs, and is why UConn is the champ.

besides, Kansas & Ohio St. did not play anywhere near the same schedule as each other or UConn as their all in different conferences, so a playoff/tournament was needed. And neither Kansas & Ohio St. were up to what was needed to win it.

Championships are won at the end though, it's that way for every sport except div-1a football.

If a team was the best, then they'd do what was needed to do, and that's win in the playoffs, and is why UConn is the champ.

besides, Kansas & Ohio St. did not play anywhere near the same schedule as each other or UConn as their all in different conferences, so a playoff/tournament was needed. And neither Kansas & Ohio St. were up to what was needed to win it.

Exactly!

If BYU or San Diego St went undefeated and then lost their only game in the tournament would those people be saying the same thing about them deserving to be #1. Heck NO!!!

Exactly!

If BYU or San Diego St went undefeated and then lost their only game in the tournament would those people be saying the same thing about them deserving to be #1. Heck NO!!!
Or even New England a few years back. Won everything except the game at the end. No one was going around saying the Patroits were really the NFL Champions instead of the Giants.

Or even New England a few years back. Won everything except the game at the end. No one was going around saying the Patroits were really the NFL Champions instead of the Giants.

And nobody here is saying Connecticut is not the real champion. They won it fair and square.

Sandra

And nobody here is saying Connecticut is not the real champion. They won it fair and square.
What about this post from Jimbo?
That is what ramy and I were responding to. Not to mention the idiot voter who voted Ohio St. as number 1 after the tournament.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)