Thoughts on the Basic Dish 111?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
With Feb 1 dual tuner fees, I have 2 TVs that would survive okay if I do away with a dual tuner, run a splitter off a single tuner receiver, and save myself $7 a month. I noticed that DishStore.net is selling the Dish 111 for only $39. I understand it does NOT have TV picture within the EPG and only coaxial connections -- but aside from that are there any significant differences between it and a 311? Does its EPG populate quickly or does it download for every few hours you advance it into the future?

Thanks,
Eric

The 111 comes with the minimalist DTV Pal remote.

Having to go into the other room to change channels isn't going to be much fun. With any money you save, you'll probably have to buy an IR repeater.

I'd go with a leased 311 and use the line level connections in one room and skip the splitter.

Why?

With Feb 1 dual tuner fees, I have 2 TVs that would survive okay if I do away with a dual tuner, run a splitter off a single tuner receiver, and save myself $7 a month. I noticed that DishStore.net is selling the Dish 111 for only $39. I understand it does NOT have TV picture within the EPG and only coaxial connections -- but aside from that are there any significant differences between it and a 311? Does its EPG populate quickly or does it download for every few hours you advance it into the future?

Thanks,
Eric

Why would you want to get something like that. It's a refurb for SD TV only and dish will be doing away w/ the MPEG 2 stuff in the next couple of years. But it's your 40 plus shipping. What are these TV's Old NTSC tube types or something. That's really all these would be good for.

Find a 301 or 311. They have composite outputs and s-video which would be better

preferably a 311 as its 8PSK compatible

The 111 is at least 4 years out of production and never should have been made. They have no buttons on the receiver so you can't even turn it on without a remote. It only has CH3/4 out no A/V jacks and the remote dosen't control your TV. The 111 does nothing for the money spent.

The 111 is a piece of plastic junk. Get the 311 as Iceberg suggests. Or......you can get a 211K now for $120 or less and future proof yourself.

What are these TV's Old NTSC tube types or something. That's really all these would be good for.

Yep...sitting right next to my 8-track tape player, record player, and rotary dial phone -- okay, I'm joking (about the phone):rolleyes:. I'm an old fart, what can I say. Guys, HDTV is currently not a priority for me, but I'm not going to slam you for it being yours. My TVs aren't that old -- on average 8 years old and SD -- the picture works for me, but alas I can't count peoples' freckles. I will get a flat screen, WHEN these die.

Thanks for everyone's input. Yep, the 111 sounds pretty cheap -- especially with the DTV pal type remote meaning it can't control other devices.

Harshness, thanks for the tip on how to skip the splitter -- my TV set where the receiver is located actually has line-level inputs and I believe s-video, too. And, I already have a remote extender with spare DISH remotes, so the "remote" location is covered.

So, I'll set my sights on a 301 or 311. Iceberg noted the 311 as 8PSK compatible. What does that mean -- or is it a moot point to me as a non-HD conformist?:D

Really -- thanks again, guys. :)

Eric

Means it will be working much longer

Yep...sitting right next to my 8-track tape player, record player, and rotary dial phone -- okay, I'm joking (about the phone):rolleyes:. I'm an old fart, what can I say. Guys, HDTV is currently not a priority for me, but I'm not going to slam you for it being yours. My TVs aren't that old -- on average 8 years old and SD -- the picture works for me, but alas I can't count peoples' freckles. I will get a flat screen, WHEN these die.

Thanks for everyone's input. Yep, the 111 sounds pretty cheap -- especially with the DTV pal type remote meaning it can't control other devices.

Harshness, thanks for the tip on how to skip the splitter -- my TV set where the receiver is located actually has line-level inputs and I believe s-video, too. And, I already have a remote extender with spare DISH remotes, so the "remote" location is covered.

So, I'll set my sights on a 301 or 311. Iceberg noted the 311 as 8PSK compatible. What does that mean -- or is it a moot point to me as a non-HD conformist?:D

Really -- thanks again, guys. :)

Eric

That will keep you from having to go to more expensive receiver. It will pick up the newer stuff that is what E* is going to.

8PSK is a modulation scheme.

Unless you can get a great deal on a 311, the 211K is really the way to go.

Both will cost you the same $7.00 receiver fee each month but, the 211K has the ability to decode MPEG4 as well as digital over the air. Just because it's an HD receiver doesn't mean you have to subscribe to the HD package.

As Dish moves more toward an MPEG4 future this may prove to be a cheaper option than buy another new receiver in the near future.

8PSK is a modulation scheme.

Unless you can get a great deal on a 311, the 211K is really the way to go.

Both will cost you the same $7.00 receiver fee each month but, the 211K has the ability to decode MPEG4 as well as digital over the air. Just because it's an HD receiver doesn't mean you have to subscribe to the HD package.

As Dish moves more toward an MPEG4 future this may prove to be a cheaper option than buy another new receiver in the near future.

Thanks, thedamaja...you answered a question I had in the back of my mind. That is, will DISH activate or provide me (via Dish'n It Up) a 211 or 211k even if I don't want an HD package. Also, I have an OTA antenna and can receive a large number of "adjacent" market signals. Does the OTA function of this receiver ALSO work, even if I don't sub to an HD package, because I believe this feature is primarily intended for HD customers?

The 111's we are selling do have the blue universal remote that comes with the 311 receivers.

Just be sure to specify it in the notes when you checkout and we will make sure your receiver has the upgraded remote..

We are finding about 75% of them come with the better remote, thats why you need to ask!

The 111 is in fact 8PSK capable. I made this mistake having tested it on an old version of the firmware. But with the last one I tried, it does work and will work when Western Arc is all 8PSK. It's much smaller than a 311. Do NOT buy a 301 since they are NOT 8PSK capable.

Doesnt Dish charge a HD enabling fee when you have a HD receiver and dont sub to HD?

or did Dish drop this due to the 211 being the basic receiver for Eastern Arc?

No hd enabling fee any longer. But there is still a $6.00 no basic programming fee if you don't select a programming pack.

This $6 fee is for those who ONLY want to use the 211 for OTA? If I get a 211, I will keep my "newly-named" America's Top 200 package.

Also, isn't there an OTA module I would need to purchase which installs on the back of the receiver?

If you get a 301 or any other receiver that does not have 8PSK then Dish Network will replace it for you so do not worry about that factor if you plan on keeping it active this year.

I always liked the 111 because it was the smallest receiver they ever made and they were cheaper and very light weight. Very nice for travelling. Wouldn't the latest black 211K be just as small as a 111?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts