Thoughts on the Roku steaming stick

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
So I received an email from Roku that they are doing the 10.00 off on there products, last time they did this I grabbed the Roku premier. I was thinking about grabbing the Roku stick, any thoughts on functioning, specifically steaming speed

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I got a free one. It replaced my WD Live Hub. Not perfect, but what is anymore? Doesn't work for a media player like the WD but is way better at streaming. Very happy with that part. I rather use wired than wireless devices but no problems there so far.

I have a couple roku sticks. They work well for streaming. I still have my wd live hub and live smp. I mainly use the western digital boxes when I go out of town to take files with me.

Set up plex server on your computer and the plex app on the roku and it works well playing any standalone media you may have, just like the live hub. I've been using plex on roku and built in to my tvs, for a little over a year now instead of the wdtv boxes for my personal media files.

You might also want to consider the Roku Express. They can be had for between $25 and $30 on ebay. I have 2 of them and they stream my PS Vue service well. Also work very well with my Tablo unit for the local OTA stations. They are physically very small and unobtrusive.

Reactions: satjay
They are the same price at places like Best Buy right now, my son has one, never a problem.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I just got the 3600R to replace my original Stick for the workout room. The old one is going in the bedroom. I understand the new one is much faster and does 1080p, so :biggrin.

Reactions: andy_horton
Will the Express sticks work with the remote if you don't have line of sight, if say your stick is plugged into an HDMI port in back of the TV? According to this chart, they don't have a "point anywhere" remote: https://image.roku.com/ww/docs/compare-chart-products-en-us.pdf
That's one thing that has stopped me from getting one as a cheapo stopgap until the new FireTV boxes come out later this year.
My Roku stick in plugged into the HDMI port behind the TV, and works fine with the Roku remote. I don't know what if any difference there would be with the Express stick.

Just a little bump to this thread not sure if this is with all Walmart's but today they had Roku premiers on clearance for 40.00 at our local store

I bought the Roku stick with the point remote anywhere. Wireless, but supports dual band, 1080, and really seems faster and even more stable than my wired year old Roku 2 I got free from Sling for a 3 month prepay. Had it about 2 weeks. Incudes voice search. I'd highly reccomend it. Very simple design. I had read stories of remotes not pairing well or losing that, but I have no problems. If it does, it says to push the little button inside battery case to re pair. Works like a dream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts