Three New HD Local Markets for June

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm feeling a little ignored by DirecTV. We're market 119 in Eugene, OR and here are markets 147, 162 and 163 getting their locals before us.

stegamand - the reason the ID market is getting locals is because of a large Qwest call center in that region. Qwest is a fairly large reseller of Directv and has demanded locals from Directv for years. I wanted to put out some clarification.

I'm feeling a little ignored by DirecTV. We're market 119 in Eugene, OR and here are markets 147, 162 and 163 getting their locals before us.

I think Directv goes by the number of subscribers in the DMA's and that how they determine who gets them.

I think Directv goes by the number of subscribers in the DMA's and that how they determine who gets them.

That and their ability to contract the majority of the locals in a market. Example if one company owns a couple locals in a market and is playing hardball, they may just not launch that market at that time, even if the other two are in. Directv is much more resistant to launching partial markets versus what Dish has done over the years.

One important difference here: In Eugene, you have locals available on DirecTV, just not HD. In these 3 new markets, DirecTV doesn't even offer SD locals yet. So these areas are getting HD locals before you, yes, but they are just getting locals for the first time through DirecTV.

GULFPORT MS!!! FINALLY!!!!

I don't have an HD receiver, just Standard, will I still be able to watch them??

GULFPORT MS!!! FINALLY!!!!

I don't have an HD receiver, just Standard, will I still be able to watch them??

If these channels are going to broadcast in MPEG4 (which all the recent local markets have been), then your non-HD equipment won't pick them up. However, when the time comes, DirecTV will offer replacement equipment, typically @ no cost.

If these channels are going to broadcast in MPEG4 (which all the recent local markets have been), then your non-HD equipment won't pick them up. However, when the time comes, DirecTV will offer replacement equipment, typically @ no cost.

Wow that is lame, so by replacement equipment that means contact extension and an additional 5 dollars for HD service?

Wow that is lame, so by replacement equipment that means contact extension and an additional 5 dollars for HD service?

No, no, no.
The replacement equipment is usually free with no contract.
You don't have to subscribe to HD unless you want HD programming.

No, no, no.
The replacement equipment is usually free with no contract.
You don't have to subscribe to HD unless you want HD programming.

Ah, well by HD locals I thought they are only broadcast in HD?? So when June rolls around and my locals become available, I can get all new receivers to view them at no cost? and don't have to pay for HD? Do I just call DTV up about this or what

in previous similar dma's, directv will swap out the dish and the FIRST receiver for existing customers. Additional boxs will run $49 each, Case in point--Buckley/Bluefield WVA.

Ah, well by HD locals I thought they are only broadcast in HD?? So when June rolls around and my locals become available, I can get all new receivers to view them at no cost? and don't have to pay for HD? Do I just call DTV up about this or what

If you don't pay for HD, it will downconvert things into SD so it will display correctly on your TV. And the good news is, you'll be ready to go if you ever want to upgrade to HD.

Soudns good. So when should I call and ask about getting a new receiver?

Do I need a new dish also? I currently have the worldirect dish (idk what kind that is?) I hope this doesn't cost alot of money lol

Last edited:
In the Biloxi-Gulfport DMA there are only three channels. We have WLOX (ABC), WXXV (FOX) and WMAH (PBS) (and some low power staion I don't count). Our cable provider (Cable One) offers WDSU (NBC) out of New Orleans and WKRG (CBS) out of Mobile, AL. My question is will D* offer these as well? Is this where "Significantly Viewed Channels" comes in?

yes

I am in the same boat. My DMA (Mankato, MN) actually only has one channel (CBS and a Fox subchannel).

HD locals give me Mankato CBS along with Fox, NBC & ABC from Minneapolis. See pic (the one with the box around it is my local. The rest are imported from Minneapolis for us. Cable is the same way

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 159
I have ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS in HD here in Green Bay, WI. I wish they would add CW and MyNetwork so I can ditch the AM21 and antenna.

Funny why DirecTV doesn't do this considering they spot beam everything anyways.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts