Thrift store/Craigslist/Garage sale OTA finds?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Anybody have any stories of OTA equipment they got at a garage sale, thrift store/goodwill or on Craigslist?

Don't post that you've seen an ad on CL for something. Lets only post what we have in our hands :)

I'll start

2 weeks ago I stopped at a goodwill in Minneapolis burbs and found a Insignia converter box. It has the same guts as a Zenith and as DX'ers know, this is the best box out there for DX'ing stations. Went to another thrift store and found ANOTHER Insignia box.

That Monday (my birthday to be exact) picked up a rotor off craigslist. Brand new out of the box (box was ruined but was never used.). Works great!

Last week stopped at the 1st goodwill and saw a Zenith converter box (so now I have 4 of them....2 of each) :)

Today picked up a Y5 7-13 VHF only antenna from a guy on CL. I had one of these but a couple sets of elements broke off so it was useless. He also had a U75 Radio Shack UHF antenna....but he wanted too much.....and I already have better UHF antennas ;)

I picked up a spare Radio Shack VU-190-XR Antenna, although a bit damaged. Along with the antenna came a rotor and a mast-mounted Channel Master 7777 Pre-Amp. Now I have a complete spare duplicate of my setup. I also found 2 C-band dish mounting posts with the triangle bases. I picked up a C-band Chaparral Corotor with LNB too. Oh, yeah, I also found about 75 feet of C-band ribbon cable. I fleamarket every week, yardsale whenever I can and scan CL at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I have bought the Samsung ota tuner box and home theater system you never know what you find when your not looking.

My thrift shops stink. Old coffee pots and clothes out of the 70's.
No cool stuff on CL either here.

Reactions: KE4EST
The Goodwill has some decent finds around here. I almost grabbed a Tivo, but the computer's more than sufficient for my OTA DVR. Six-ish years ago I picked up a cheap RCA antenna at Ocean State Job Lot (a cheaper version of Big Lots) for $20 and it's serving me well here in western CO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)