Throttle VOD download ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

akaRadar

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 17, 2003
I have a 6 MB DSL line (usually get about 5.5MB) and a new HR21-200 with 0X1FE software. I used VOD a few times and it works well, usually maxs my DSL out to about 5.5 MB's.
The trouble is while it is downloading it is almost impossible to use another computer on the DSL line due to the VOD using all the bandwidth.
My router is a 2-Wire 171HG gateway (provided by at&t).
What I was wondering is if there is a way to throttle the VOD d/l speed to allow a little bandwidth for other devices either in the router or HR21?
I checked both as best I knew how and didn't find anyway to do it.
I would have thought the router would balance the bandwidth, but it doesn't seem to.
Thanks

Enragedalbinoyak

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 10, 2008
if you have a QoS enabled router, you might be able to set your HR-21 to low quality of service and the other devices above it. I used to do that when my brother would download large chunks of stuff off of bittorrent and I just wanted to read the news. Worked most of the time.

da_smush

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 9, 2004
The 2Wire definitely should have QoS. I'd recommend setting the MAC address of your D* box to "Lowest" priority, and you can leave your computers on the default. The idea is the router will give priority (a higher Quality of Service) to the other traffic over your D* box.

BryanSat88

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 13, 2008
Albany, NY
QoS at the router via MAC address (or on some routers -- the hardwired port #) is definitely the best option. Some routers even allow setting of the maximum upstream/downlink bandwidth to each MAC/ethernet port, but standard QoS prioritization is your best bet, because when high need devices are off, then VOD can get the full bandwidth. If you MUST use their router and it doesn't provide QoS settings, then an alternative is to add another router immediately behind theirs to handle QoS, but that will require some specialty configuration (NAT, DHCP, etc.) and add another point of problems.

akaRadar

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 17, 2003
Thanks,

I've looked everywhere I know to look in my router (2-Wire 171HG gateway ) and don't see anything like that listed. Maybe I don't know the correct way to access those features, or it just doesn't have it.
I will just try and d/l VOD at night for now.

Thanks again !

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Thats weird, I have 10Mbps connection and 1 Mbps upload thru charter communications.
I have my PS3 on all the times with Home, then I have my 360 on live all the times, and then I have my PC on all the times and I use my PC all the times and no lag issues here.
I download bunch of contents on VoD and I have no issues...my stuff runs smoothly even when I have all my 4 systems on and active and downloading...

It might be the routers problem or even your DSL provider problem...they might be little dry on bandwidth.
If they can't fix this issue, switch to cable, you will love it.
It is cheaper, more bandwidth, constant speed, and reliable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts