Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
Yojimbo
Red Beard
Samurai 1/2/3
Samurai Rebellion
The Rickshaw Man (lesser)

Many of these films in my recordings have not been available except in SD from IFC (gone) for 3 years or so.
I have a Dish Pass set to Mifune or I might have missed them.
Granted that TCM (132) is only up-convert but it is better than any other since Voom's Kung Fu.
-Ken
I don't ordinarily comment on content but these are hard to find and worth recording. -K

Thank You very much, I miss the Kung Fu channel and have even bought a couple of Zatoichis from Amazon, I will record all of these even if I have to kick some stuff off.

Thank You very much, I miss the Kung Fu channel and have even bought a couple of Zatoichis from Amazon, I will record all of these even if I have to kick some stuff off.
You may have to "kick" less than you think.
The Dish STB reports the HD time left for something like OTA MPEG-2.
OTA takes 2 to 3 time the space of MPEG-4 recordings.
The "exact" numbers are like 4000 to 6000 MB/hr OTA HD,
1400 to 2500 MB/hr MPEG-4 HD, less than 900 MB/hr for SD.
So expect to "use" 10 hrs to record the 20 hrs or so of these films.
These numbers for 1080i. 720p takes 1/2 the space.
-Ken

Yes the Lone Wolf series is good stuff. Some years back IFC used to regularly run many of the films listed above. They also ran the Zatoichi series. These were about all I watched on IFC. Also for Zatoichi fans, you might want to check out the Hanzo the Razor series, also starring Shintaro Katsu. You may want to put the kids to bed first because of his interrogation method. I wish there was a channel dedicated to martial arts movies on DISH.

JimWH said:
Yes the Lone Wolf series is good stuff. Some years back IFC used to regularly run many of the films listed above. They also ran the Zatoichi series. These were about all I watched on IFC. Also for Zatoichi fans, you might want to check out the Hanzo the Razor series, also starring Shintaro Katsu. You may want to put the kids to bed first because of his interrogation method. I wish there was a channel dedicated to martial arts movies on DISH.

Yah, I remember those on IFC...back when IFC actually showed Independent Films. I don't miss the channel at all now that it is off Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)