Tiger Woods out for season

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Tiger Woods will miss the rest of golf season, reports say.

Woods, 32, suffered a small stress fracture in his left leg two weeks before the U.S. Open and will undergo surgery, according to the Golf Channel.

After arthroscopic surgery to remove cartilage in his left knee in April, Woods came back to win the U.S. Open in a playoff in San Diego on Monday. Woods needed 91 holes to win his 14th career major, beating underdog Rocco Mediate by a stroke.

After the seesaw battle, he told broadcaster NBC he was going to take a "long rest" to let his knee heal.

As a result, Woods will miss golf's final two majors of the year. He won the PGA championship last year for the fourth time and has won the British Open three times previously.

Tiger Woods out for rest of season

associated press only saying its reported he'll miss rest of season.....not that i'm doubting the golf channel.

Check Tiger's official web site. He ruptured his ACL after the British Open last when he was running at his home in Orlando. He didn't get surgery and proceeded to win five of the next six events he entered, including the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, the PGA Championship, the BMW Championship, the TOUR Championship and the Target World Challenge, while also finishing second at the Deutsche Bank Championship. He carried that streak over into 2008, winning his first four events of the year, the Buick Invitational, the Dubai Desert Classic, WGC-Accenture Match Play and the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

In the fall of 2007, Woods decided to forego a number of playing opportunities to allow the knee time to heal in preparation for the 2008 season. He still experienced pain early in 2008, however, and in an effort to allow him to play through the remainder of the season, elected to have arthroscopic surgery immediately following the Masters to clean out cartilage damage. The cartilage damage in fact developed as a result of the ACL injury, and Woods' hope was that the arthroscopic surgery would get him through the remainder of the season and allow him to delay the ACL surgery until after the season.

Tiger said:

"My rehabilitation schedule after the arthroscopic surgery was designed with the goal of returning to play at the Memorial, but the stress fractures that were discovered just prior to the tournament unfortunately prevented me from participating and had a huge impact on the timing for my return, I was determined though, to do everything and anything in my power to play in the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, which is a course that is close to where I grew up and holds many special memories for me. Although I will miss the rest of the 2008 season, I'm thrilled with the fact that last week was such a special tournament."

So he's been as dominating as he has every been with a torn ACL and then won the US Open with a torn ACL and double stress fracture in his leg. Amazing.

Check Tiger's official web site. He ruptured his ACL after the British Open last when he was running at his home in Orlando. He didn't get surgery and proceeded to win five of the next six events he entered, including the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, the PGA Championship, the BMW Championship, the TOUR Championship and the Target World Challenge, while also finishing second at the Deutsche Bank Championship. He carried that streak over into 2008, winning his first four events of the year, the Buick Invitational, the Dubai Desert Classic, WGC-Accenture Match Play and the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

In the fall of 2007, Woods decided to forego a number of playing opportunities to allow the knee time to heal in preparation for the 2008 season. He still experienced pain early in 2008, however, and in an effort to allow him to play through the remainder of the season, elected to have arthroscopic surgery immediately following the Masters to clean out cartilage damage. The cartilage damage in fact developed as a result of the ACL injury, and Woods' hope was that the arthroscopic surgery would get him through the remainder of the season and allow him to delay the ACL surgery until after the season.

Tiger said:

"My rehabilitation schedule after the arthroscopic surgery was designed with the goal of returning to play at the Memorial, but the stress fractures that were discovered just prior to the tournament unfortunately prevented me from participating and had a huge impact on the timing for my return, I was determined though, to do everything and anything in my power to play in the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, which is a course that is close to where I grew up and holds many special memories for me. Although I will miss the rest of the 2008 season, I'm thrilled with the fact that last week was such a special tournament."

So he's been as dominating as he has every been with a torn ACL and then won the US Open with a torn ACL and double stress fracture in his leg. Amazing.

Yes, quite amazing indeed! And the fact that he didn't make a big deal about the injury during the tournament was even more respectable. When asked several times during the tournament about his condition, Tiger was very brief and didn't reveal much.

I find this quote very revealing about Tiger and the etiquette that goes with the the game of golf......

"I know much was made of my knee throughout the last week and it was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time," Woods said in a statement on his website. "I wanted to be very respectful of the USGA [U.S. Golf Association] and their incredibly hard work, and make sure the focus was on the U.S. Open.

Good luck on a speedy recovery Tiger!

Wow, that's too bad. Shows how good he is, that he still won.

It has been my experience that once your knees go, there is little hope of ever getting them back...and most "promising" arthroscopic surgeries only make the problems worse. While healthy knees are less critical in golf than in speed sports like football, basketball and hockey, one cannot understate the importance they play in the game of golf: swing kinetics, ability to stay in competitive shape, etc. Injuries kept Jack Nicklaus from winning another dozen majors. It would be a shame to see Tiger Woods' game fall into the above average catagory.

It has been my experience that once your knees go, there is little hope of ever getting them back...and most "promising" arthroscopic surgeries only make the problems worse. While healthy knees are less critical in golf than in speed sports like football, basketball and hockey, one cannot understate the importance they play in the game of golf: swing kinetics, ability to stay in competitive shape, etc. Injuries kept Jack Nicklaus from winning another dozen majors. It would be a shame to see Tiger Woods' game fall into the above average catagory.

Tiger's knees take on an extraordinary amount of resistance. He's the only one on tour that has a swing speed in the 125mph range. The amount of torque and pressure those knees go through during a swing of that speed can be tremendous. Plus, he has to walk an entire 18 holes, up and down hills throughout a 4 hour+ span. An ACL injury is serious. It's going to take dedication and the athlete that is Tiger Woods to overcome this.

The absence of Tiger Woods will be a big blow over here in the United Kingdom. He is a big draw in The Open Championship.

I'm not sure how much his absence will deplete the U.S. Ryder Cup Team.

In all seriousness, undergoing this type of surgery can be very big and very risky.

I remember Amare Stoudemire underwent knee surgery a few years ago and had to wait a while before he returned to dominant form.

I hope his rehabilitation goes well, in all seriousness.

BTW, will this decrease interest in the British Open?

In all seriousness, undergoing this type of surgery can be very big and very risky.

I remember Amare Stoudemire underwent knee surgery a few years ago and had to wait a while before he returned to dominant form.

I hope his rehabilitation goes well, in all seriousness.

BTW, will this decrease interest in the British Open?

Having a tournament without the most popular player in its respective sport will most definitely hurt upcoming notable tourney's, but this is also a good time for lesser known players to step up. The die-hard golf fans will still watch, while the Tiger fan club will most likely not. Either way, I will still be watching....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)