Tilt-up c-band dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mshaffer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Would this work? It was my brother's idea, since he doesn't want my c-band dish to be so obvious. Basically the dish could tilt up and down kind of like a medieval trebuchet. I would have 2 6x6 posts that would serve as anchors and the 21' pole would swing between them. I could use bar bell weights as a counter weight. The only thing though, is that the pole has to be perfectly level. Do you think it could work?

trebuchet_copy.jpg

Maybe it's me but why? Do you plan on lowering it when not in use? I think you would run into problems with the pole not being level everytime.

Yea that was the idea, since it's right next to the road and would look kind of tacky. But, I really don't want to have to wonder if the pole is level every time I use the dish. I think I'll just plant the pole in the ground.

Hi all, I think somebody had too much coffee! ;)

Seriously that is a heck of an idea. Could be used to lower the dish for bad weather (Hurricanes or maybe snow) if a shed like cover could be incorporated in the design.

I have no doubt that this idea could be made to work. A sturdy frame could be welded up with a strong pivot and adjustable stops so the mast would rotate up to the exact same spot each time the unit was raised.

Modern hydraulics could be used to raise and lower the unit.

Quick - go and file a patent on it!

Later, DC

There is a similar process in sailing. With the tall masts, sometimes sailors can't get under bridges or overhangs. They have masts that "tabernacle" - that's the sailor's jargon for a mast that unhooks and drops down parallel to the surface of the water.

For the big masts, they have motorized winches that let them down and crank them up. For the smaller masts, you need a crew to unhook the guy wires and let the mast down.

In really small sailing dinghies, it's a one person job.

The trebuchet idea is creative, but I bet a simpler way could be found. You aren't raising it by remote control. Someone will be out there doing it. Maybe a concreted in pole sticking out of the ground one foot, with a hefty hinge attaching to the pole that holds the dish. Use a come-along to raise it up. Have it go up until it hits stops. Then hitch pin it into place.

Still sounds a lot more complicated than just leaving it up and painting a smile on it.

Hmmm...
If you set it just right, you could put your garbage in the dish, pull the pin, and viola!
The trash is at the curb...
(I know... but I couldn't resist...)

If you don't want the dish high in the yard because of visibility issues - you might consider digging down and planting the dish below ground level - depending on how much space you have, and your line of site, it'd be doable - add a fence around it for safety and further visibility factors and you've got a dish that's truly out of site from all but those who peer into your yard through the fence ;)

Hmmm...
If you set it just right, you could put your garbage in the dish, pull the pin, and viola!
The trash is at the curb...
(I know... but I couldn't resist...)
That's funny, 'cause I was thinkig we could launch surplus 18" DBS dishes with it!:eek:

put your money where . . .

The uplinker trucks 'n trailers use big tilt-up, motorized dishes, so it's possible.
Probably in the 6' or 8' size.
They are on Ku band, but such a dish should do fine at receiving C-band.

And yea, I'm about as serious on this one . . . as the OP. :rolleyes:

Yea that was the idea, since it's right next to the road and would look kind of tacky. But, I really don't want to have to wonder if the pole is level every time I use the dish. I think I'll just plant the pole in the ground.
Now dont go propagating that Big Ugly Dish [tacky] propaganda. Display it proudly and properly! If the HOA didnt tell you upfront what you can and cant do before now, I'd tell em to stick and slam the door in their face if they came a knocking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)