Time for a Change in my tv landscape

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Figured I would play follow the leader, as everyone seems to make one of these posts.

I just made it official. After 17 yrs and a few months I am no longer a Dish subscriber. I hated to leave and I mulled it over for a month before deciding, but the savings over 2 yrs bundling Cox with my Tivo for tv and internet were just too great. Especially when I only watch 3 cable channels year round and 2 or 3 more during football season.

I enjoyed using Dish and their outstanding equipment over the years. I started with a couple Dishplayer 7200's, then a couple 501's, 508's, 625, 612 and ending with 722 and 211k's. I give Dish props, as they pretty much offered to match the savings from Cox on my main account and almost matched it on the other account for my dad. I've already had Cox TV for 2 months at my house and a month at my dad's so I can't cancel the deals on them now without the dreaded early termination fees. We will see what the tv landscape is like in 2 years with 4k and ATSC 3.0 eventually coming along. I may be back with Dish or I may go OTA only with some supplemental programming from Netflix or something.

I wouldn't get too excited about ATSC 3.0. The broadcast station owners just spent billions within the last 15 years to swap from NTSC to ATSC. Outside of the government providing some subsidy (I know they have the reverse spectrum auction, but they'll just pocket that) I don't see ATSC 3.0 taking off.

I wouldn't get too excited about ATSC 3.0. The broadcast station owners just spent billions within the last 15 years to swap from NTSC to ATSC. Outside of the government providing some subsidy (I know they have the reverse spectrum auction, but they'll just pocket that) I don't see ATSC 3.0 taking off.
And yet the broadcast station owners are the ones pushing for a move to ATSC 3 now, while they are retooling for the OTA repack from the spectrum auctions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: harshness
I dropped DirecTV in November to go with Cox/Tivo. Purchased 5 of their Roamios with Lifetime for $300 each. It has been outstanding. Also enjoy the MLB.tv app built in, along with HULU, Amazon, Netflix and HBO Go. Throw in iHeart Radio and Pandora and this box does everything I need it to do. It's great to have a content agnostic device. The savings of no HD Fee, DVR Fee, Whole Home DVR fee and much lower per box fee( $2.00 Cable card fee) is great. I haven't found a downside yet.

Here in Phoenix, they are swapping out to digital only in June. Room for even more content and improved PQ.

I think you made the right choice.

I dropped DirecTV in November to go with Cox/Tivo. Purchased 5 of their Roamios with Lifetime for $300 each. It has been outstanding. Also enjoy the MLB.tv app built in, along with HULU, Amazon, Netflix and HBO Go. Throw in iHeart Radio and Pandora and this box does everything I need it to do. It's great to have a content agnostic device. The savings of no HD Fee, DVR Fee, Whole Home DVR fee and much lower per box fee( $2.00 Cable card fee) is great. I haven't found a downside yet.

Here in Phoenix, they are swapping out to digital only in June. Room for even more content and improved PQ.

I think you made the right choice.

Cox in Tulsa already made the switch to all digital last year. Cox in Las Vegas makes the switch later this year. We have cox locals only in Las Vegas at our condo.

I bought 3 Roamios Basic's and 1 Roamio OTA last year all with lifetime during various sales. I have a couple minis too. They were mainly for OTA service as the lack of guide info has been my biggest gripe with Dish. Unreliable OTA coverage in Las Vegas led to trying Cox and TiVo together out there. It worked really well and the bundle offers started getting better, so I decided to try it here at home in Tulsa. My dad decided he wanted to switch too, last month, when he returned from Vegas for the summer. He has been very happy so far. I think it was the right time to make a change and try something different.

Having the TiVo was what made the change possible. I would not have changed if I had to use the contour boxes from Cox

Reactions: 4d3fect
I will probably be following you out the door in a few months. DISH's paltry Pac 12 selection (national channel and no regional channels and no longer the ability to stream the regional) has pushed me away. I was (and still am to some extent) an avid supporter of DISH, but DISH's outright refusal to get with the program sportswise has (likely) forced me to go back to cable. I am dreading it, but I watch about 5 channels total. As long as DISH blows off sports, I have to go......tell me about your experience and maybe it will talk me out of it.

Figured I would play follow the leader, as everyone seems to make one of these posts.

I just made it official. After 17 yrs and a few months I am no longer a Dish subscriber. I hated to leave and I mulled it over for a month before deciding, but the savings over 2 yrs bundling Cox with my Tivo for tv and internet were just too great. Especially when I only watch 3 cable channels year round and 2 or 3 more during football season.

I enjoyed using Dish and their outstanding equipment over the years. I started with a couple Dishplayer 7200's, then a couple 501's, 508's, 625, 612 and ending with 722 and 211k's. I give Dish props, as they pretty much offered to match the savings from Cox on my main account and almost matched it on the other account for my dad. I've already had Cox TV for 2 months at my house and a month at my dad's so I can't cancel the deals on them now without the dreaded early termination fees. We will see what the tv landscape is like in 2 years with 4k and ATSC 3.0 eventually coming along. I may be back with Dish or I may go OTA only with some supplemental programming from Netflix or something.

And yet the broadcast station owners are the ones pushing for a move to ATSC 3 now, while they are retooling for the OTA repack from the spectrum auctions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Because it makes much more sense to do both transitions (ATSC 3.0 and repack) at the same time.

I am contemplating a similar move and I gotta say the content channels themselves aren't doing DISH any favors these days. If only there was a-la-carte programming I would stay

The equipment and overall user experience with it is great, but the fees associated with it are way too high. It was reasonable back when a DVR fee was $5/month

don't get me started on sports

Can I Get Hopper 3 WA International Programming?

Ext hard drive wants to reformat and idk why

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts