Time for a new thread for you radio guys.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
Getting back into Ham and CB, I bought a uniden 980 to play with, decent, but not to good, So I ordered a New President Lincoln II+ and am having it tuned and peaked, looking forward to the 10 meter band. I have been gone for too long. I am having it modded to 11 meters also just to check in on the idiots, I know the 980 is CB only, but tweaked my interest again. When alinged and tweaked 12 meter should be fun. Yes I have a general license.

Reactions: N6BY
I 2nd the vote. I think it's cool that FM has been implemented in the CB band. Heck, I don't even have an operational CB radio. My dad and me got our tickets when I was something like 10. Unfortunately once I started working, somewhere in the flurry of life I let it expire. I had attained a general class license. But always had a receiver waiting for me at my current place of residence. Even if it required hiding a wire antenna in bushes and trees and digging a shallow trench to bury the feedline evidence at my condo, HOA sucks.
Not exactly a "gasping" hobby. We need to keep it alive. I somehow just always though of the CB guys throwing on a Superman shirt while looking like the little kid on the original Star Trek "The Corbomite Maneuver" episode before keying down. RTTY and wefax used to captivate me when it was all over the bands. Needing expensive and perhaps difficult to find equipment to spit out a paper copy. Now those modes and much more can all be done with computer software. The classic modes are sparse these days. It's still the thrill of the chase. Digital modes abound.
Apocalypse2.jpg

It's already been 5 years since I've been licensed and my son just got his in April. The ham radio has certainly cut into my satellite hobby time. I have dual band 2M, 70CM radios and CBs in every vehicle I own. I love the small President Bill CB unit for the cars.

I was big into CB in the mid 60's to early 70's. I had QSL cards from all over the country via skip. Then a little bit after I got my 2011 Jeep Wrangler. I still have a Cobra Roadtrip portable set up I used in the Jeep and a pair of Motorola 49mhz walky-talkies I use sometimes when hiking.

I also have a RadioShack Pro-106 scanner I bought in 2013 when my daughter was a dispatcher. It is pretty useless now that most police/sheriff systems are scrambled.

I also have a Sony ICF 2010 and ICF SW 7600 short wave receivers. I wish I would have kept my late 50's early 60's Zenith Transoceanic that I sold in a garage sale in the 80's for $20.00.

FM on CB :eeek.... Thank the gods for FM capture effect, but can you imagine the heterodyne mess when the band opens???!!!

Working 6m / 10m FM and the repeaters is a challenge, even with semi-disciplined ops! CB Ops? :facepalm

AI6US aka " Super Beagle - Sidewinder 4405

Reactions: N6BY and KE4EST
I have been inactive on the ham bands, but I wrote an SDR program about 5 years ago named "DR Processor". I haven't used the program in a few years. It worked OK most of the time, but it still has some bugs that I never was able to figure out. The program is complex and multi-threaded, and I think the problem is in the inter-process communication.

I used to really enjoy exploring the spectrum with it -- police, fire, businesses (whatever was in the clear). I even added a crude scanner function to it. But now most of the radio traffic I'm interested in is digital, and I have not attempted to write code to convert digital to voice.

My house is ideally situated for VHF/UHF and above communication to everything in the southwest direction. And on many summer nights there is enough tropospheric ducting for me to receive the SF Bay Area stations.

Besides radio, I am still heavily into weather satellite image reception. I wrote a program named "GRB Imager" to decode the NOAA weather satellite signal into imagery and animations. Unlike my SDR Program, "GRB Imager" is rock solid. No bugs and no crashes at all. :)

Reactions: Corrado and Foxbat
I can't help but think about why would someone with any understanding of radio propagation would have decided to assign CBRS into the upper HF band.

We use our CBs on the road between family vehicles but have seen times when the band was open that a vehicle within sight had to get through S10+ noise.

I can't understand the reasoning for the adding FM other than pressure from radio manufacturers. Many of those non type accepted "export" or easily converted 10m radios were AM-FM already.

It should have been elsewhere in the VHF, UHF bands and FM all along. Even the use of smaller antennas for mobile use would have been more beneficial.

More in line with what GMRS is today.

Reactions: Comptech
I can't help but think about why would someone with any understanding of radio propagation would have decided to assign CBRS into the upper HF band.

We use our CBs on the road between family vehicles but have seen times when the band was open that a vehicle within sight had to get through S10+ noise.

I can't understand the reasoning for the adding FM other than pressure from radio manufacturers. Many of those non type accepted "export" or easily converted 10m radios were AM-FM already.

It should have been elsewhere in the VHF, UHF bands and FM all along. Even the use of smaller antennas for mobile use would have been more beneficial.

More in line with what GMRS is today.
Been licensed since mid 70s, extra class,and also a cb op and freebander. freebander meaning the bands in the hf portion that uses very low power and license free but with lots of restrictions. plenty of fun for everyone. ANYWAY, FM is a good start for the cb band. properly tuned, with a decent antenna ,base or mobile, you can work 100s of miles on fm. 10meter fm is similar. Ive worked WAS(worked all states), and 30 countries with openings, all on 10 meters FM. I leave a scanner on 29.6 mhz fm and when i hear the squelch open up a little ,i get my radio warmed up. I also run 6 meters cw,ssb,and fm. pretty fun. bout time uncle charlie gave FM to the cb bands. will go along way to cut the noise, have more meaningful contacts locally and regionally.with a properly tuned base antenna even on Fm , 100 miles is easy and regular where i live in indiana and my vertical antenna is homemade and 3.5ft off the ground . no radials. its a paint pole that extendable. fed with rg6u quad shield cable. been using it for years. i also use a dipole for the fm portion of 10 meters. I use what i have available and with the dipole, i consistantly get into the 10 meter repeaters out east in NY, Canada, . So dont sell FM short on cb.I believe it will breathe new life into the CB hobby and the radio manufacturers. Lots of times ive been on 2 meters where i live and if you arent in the "click" there isnt anyone to contact. even for directions. oh well. went to indianapolis last year was getting in to the 700 machine there and it is great. most of the time there is someone.coming back, sparse to nothing and then i turned on my 40 channel cobra 19 stock, and immediately had someone reply to me thru REACT and sent some help for my car died on me. cellphone ? dont own one and dont want the bill.As for noise, there are filters that can be built to eliminate the noise to a point. On Fm, you wont have all that junk bogging down your front end.

also, if you are in town or near powerlines of any sort and getting s9 noise, call the power companies and complain. also the new "smart meters" on houses now put out alot of junk interference in a very very wide band

And if there are any old timers here like me, you will recall that 11 meters used to be a ham band too before the FCC took it away. hope the FCC allows CW later. I operate that mode 95 percent and voice 5%

11 meter CB was NOT supposed to be a "hobby"...Ham radio is not a PROFESSIONAL service (though there are pros who are hams...just as there are amateur professionals ;) ) Class D CB (it's original name) was created to allow personal communications between family and non family members and small businesses who could not afford the larger and more expensive commercial land mobile gear at the time. The 11 meter band was originally a ham band....reallocated in late 1956 or 57 to the CB service. There was Class A and B CB already existing but they were UHF (and at the time had poor range and PRICEY equipment)...so the FCC thought using 11meters would give casual radio users decent range and inexpensive gear..the rules called for communications no further than 150 miles....at a sunspot minimum, that worked..but when the solar cycle started peaking, the CB ops realized they could work across the country on just 5 watts input power (something hams had been doing for decades) The oil embargos in the 70 sent CB popularity soaring as gear was cheap, plentiful and allowed anyone to listen to other folks on the road giving out "smokey reports"....Movies like "Smokey and the Bandit" just helped push the popularity along even more...and when people realized 10m linear amps could be easily used on 11m, the band got crowded with unlicensed and illegal operations..(since most folks by then didnt bother sending in the form for a license...the FCC was overwhelmed and could not control the problems on the band).

The FRS band on UHF is what CB should have been back in the early days but the cheap FM talkies today were not possible back in the days of tubes and point to point wiring...Even in the 70s, UHF gear was still out of the casual radio user's reach in price..NOW you can find FRS radios anywhere for $50 or less.....the FCC at least got some things right with FRS; made them require antennas that cannot be removed...thus no amplifier can be easily attached.
Class A and B CB were combined into what is now the GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service)...Class C (remote control of models, etc) was deleted 2 decades ago...Class D is the only "CB" still remaining...and it is a CB service, NOT a HOBBY or professional. All one needs is a radio, an antenna mounted in the air with coax connected between the two and that's it. No special skills are needed for THAT!....it was meant to be a personal, non hobby operation...but the folks who didn't want to take the ham license tests (oh it was too hard...I dont want to learn the code.......blah blah blah) made it into a ham like operation....but the two are nothing alike (though the amateur service is starting to become what 11m CB has been...with new hams not knowing electronic theory and just because they memorized the answers and have an Extra class ticket, they think they know it all......but DON'T)LAZYNESS CAUSES INTERFERENCE ON THE RADIO BANDS. PERIOD.one week wonders who dont even know how to build an antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)