Time for an upgrade?

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
My Hopper with Sling has had a couple of hiccups over the last month or so. I have had the (occasional) black screen issue, which sounds like a software bug, and the sometimes SNAP not connected error, also a bug i believe. But a few times in the last month I have had an issue with the screen stuttering, followed by a reboot, which makes me think I have a HDD starting to go bad. I'm going to archive my recordings just in case, and am thinking about upgrading to the Hopper 3.

What (I'm hoping for an answer from the DIRT folks) are the costs to upgrade to an H3 setup?
With the current stay at home order in CA, is Dish allowed to install? If so, I'm not crazy about bringing a stranger into my house, but would be happy if they installed the new hybrid LNB and hub outside, and leave the Hopper 3 out front for me to connect and install. If not, can (and will) Dish send out my equipment?

Miner

They will have to know your name to determine your cost.

Your equipment, as you are aware, including LNB and dish, will probably need replacing. The H3 is not a drop in replacement for the HWS.

Yes, the installer will need to enter your house. Certain info will be needed to activate the new box properly

CA rules on this? I doubt they’ll allow it right now.

So I’m real cozy with my red LED. :D

Your equipment, as you are aware, including LNB and dish, will probably need replacing. The H3 is not a drop in replacement for the HWS.

Yes, the installer will need to enter your house. Certain info will be needed to activate the new box properly

I do have a second HWS if my primary does go bad.
A dish technician could install the hybrid LNB and hub without entering the house, and I’d like to hope they could let me connect and activate the hopper itself.

Reactions: TheKrell
I do have a second HWS if my primary does go bad.
A dish technician could install the hybrid LNB and hub without entering the house, and I’d like to hope they could let me connect and activate the hopper itself.
You would have to lose your second HWS as well if you go to a Hopper 3. You can't mix them.

Reactions: navychop
I know. I should have clarified, I have the second HWS as a backup. It is currently deactivated. I own both, and the Joey 4K that replaces the now backup unit.
OK, I get it now. After you get your recordings archived it would serve you well to stand by for a while knowing that you have a backup in your hip pocket. Wait until our health dilemma is over and then consider upgrading to a Hopper 3. There is a bit more that has to happen when you go from a HWS to a H3 than just change the LNB.

I re-initiated DISH service last weekend. I'm in Ohio and called DISH on Friday and they installed the next day. It was a Hopper 3 installation. The technician was wearing a mask. The installation went smoothly (I already had the dish on the garage roof, he used pre-existing cable to get signal into the house and just added the solo node) and he was in and out in a short time.

OK, I get it now. After you get your recordings archived it would serve you well to stand by for a while knowing that you have a backup in your hip pocket. Wait until our health dilemma is over and then consider upgrading to a Hopper 3. There is a bit more that has to happen when you go from a HWS to a H3 than just change the LNB.
Yep.
I’m fairly confident I can handle the upgrade, but I can wait as well.

DTV installed me during this crisis!!! but i got 5 text mgs the night before asking me if i have been around people that have the virus or if i had it. not that it matters some people lie!!! though knowing dish's safety polices they more than likely will not go inside the OP'S home

Archived off all recordings, came across a couple of corrupt recordings, but now down to just prime time and a few on-demand on drive. I opened the case as one of my concerns was it seemed louder than I previously remember. I blew out the dust and put it back together. Seems to be running alright, possibly quieter again.
i chatted with dish, $100 to upgrade to H3, plus $95 for install. I’ll wait until 4K content is compelling enough. Oddly 3 tuners has been enough for my family about 99% of the time. Maybe next year.
Hipkat, Cox out here has suspended all in-house service, out of caution.

Attachments

• A5346E86-071E-4BAF-B609-EC6A217D7264.jpeg
    A5346E86-071E-4BAF-B609-EC6A217D7264.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 130
Archived off all recordings, came across a couple of corrupt recordings, but now down to just prime time and a few on-demand on drive. I opened the case as one of my concerns was it seemed louder than I previously remember. I blew out the dust and put it back together. Seems to be running alright, possibly quieter again.
i chatted with dish, $100 to upgrade to H3, plus $95 for install. I’ll wait until 4K content is compelling enough. Oddly 3 tuners has been enough for my family about 99% of the time. Maybe next year.
Hipkat, Cox out here has suspended all in-house service, out of caution.
I've seen a few cable companies doing that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)