time frame on HD FOX, ABC, & NBC?

ocnier said:
I understand that, but this still doesn't explain why CBS hd nationally and not the other 3 major networks? I mean he's already doing one, so why not the other 3. I will admit though this "dope deal" was done when viacom (cbs parent company) was courting E* for buy out at that time, but it's time to get off the fence and get moving. If not now, when? :confused:

dude,

like it or not, sumner redstone and his empire of viacom/cbs IS BUYING dish no work out, get over it ergen is history :yes

dont believe me?? ask SCOTT, i had a very long conversation with him before the expo, he says the same thing, charlie is selling.

Paradox-SJ said:
Viacom nolonger owns/controls CBS....where have you been?

I heard that viacom was splitting (if that's what you mean), but I don't know who's at the helm of the CBS part of the business. It does make sense in retrospect for dish to team with a major affliate considering the D*/ Fox marriage. It would give them equal footing as far as a cash base goes. I can't remember, but isn't comcast trying to team with ABC as well :confused: . I know ABC/ESPN is disney, but I thought there was some affliation between disney and comcast, either way, Dish needs to get moving and find a "partner" or they will fall wayyyy behind IMO. It also would give them some renegotiation clout with the NFL over broadcast rights (ie. a modified sunday ticket). I suspect that there's some clause in CBS's contract to allow transmission of at least their games, but this totally is speculation on my part. :cool:

Paradox-SJ said:
Viacom nolonger owns/controls CBS....where have you been?
Viacom still owns CBS. It will take many months for the division into 2 companies to happen.

sateck01 said:
dude,

like it or not, sumner redstone and his empire of viacom/cbs IS BUYING dish no work out, get over it ergen is history :yes

dont believe me?? ask SCOTT, i had a very long conversation with him before the expo, he says the same thing, charlie is selling.

If this is true, then I see two big issues, each con and pro. I see under CBS a possibility to give up on this obsessive neurosis Dish/Ergen had about making his own equipment that was substandard (i.e. most pvrs, especially the 921). Ergen was dead set against contracting with a company with a proven record like Tivo, because he is a total control freak (hell, just mentioning the term modifying yourself i.e. put in a bigger drive/improve a product was enough to get the smack down laid against you by the company), Dish is very big on nickel and dime'ing you when it comes to equipment (i.e. pvr fees per reciever and not acount), very anti consumer as that goes. :no The pro I saw was that Charlie was a maverick/ruthless negotiator that did his best to control programming prices (more bang for the buck like sirius, and cheaper overall packages), in that sense I think the guy is very pro consumer. :yes

Back on topic, here is an interesting update on digital DNS.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=43393

While the National Association of Broadcasters didn't come out completely against distant network signals delivered by satellite TV, the organization said in comments sent to the Federal Communications Commission last week that use of distant network signals should be a last resort.

NAB's comments were part of the FCC's look into distant network signals, including digital distant networks, which were authorized in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA). Once the FCC rules are in place, satellite TV services would be allowed to offer customers digital distant network feeds, with restrictions.

NAB said the FCC should stick with a "if local, no distant" principle in determining eligibility for distant network signals. "Because local-to-local service is the desirable way to deliver network affiliates to satellite subscribers, and because distant network station signals are at best a necessary evil, the SHVERA pushes the DBS industry towards the former and away from the latter," the broadcast association said.

Part of the FCC inquiry scrutinizes the extent in which satellite TV companies will be allowed to deliver digital HD signals from large cities - such as New York City or Los Angeles - to smaller markets. NAB said in its comments the FCC should promise that a DBS company cannot "use the distant digital compulsory license as an inexpensive, large-scale substitute for digital local-into-local."

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Back on topic, here is an interesting update on digital DNS.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=43393

While the National Association of Broadcasters didn't come out completely against distant network signals delivered by satellite TV, the organization said in comments sent to the Federal Communications Commission last week that use of distant network signals should be a last resort.

NAB's comments were part of the FCC's look into distant network signals, including digital distant networks, which were authorized in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA). Once the FCC rules are in place, satellite TV services would be allowed to offer customers digital distant network feeds, with restrictions.

NAB said the FCC should stick with a "if local, no distant" principle in determining eligibility for distant network signals. "Because local-to-local service is the desirable way to deliver network affiliates to satellite subscribers, and because distant network station signals are at best a necessary evil, the SHVERA pushes the DBS industry towards the former and away from the latter," the broadcast association said.

Part of the FCC inquiry scrutinizes the extent in which satellite TV companies will be allowed to deliver digital HD signals from large cities - such as New York City or Los Angeles - to smaller markets. NAB said in its comments the FCC should promise that a DBS company cannot "use the distant digital compulsory license as an inexpensive, large-scale substitute for digital local-into-local."

NightRyder

That would work in theory, but the problem is that well over half of the 210 DMA's still don't produce complete digital broadcasts for all affliates. A lot of these tv stations in different regoins are dragging their feet because the cost of the equiment is incumbent totally on the the indivdual station in regards to OTA. Also a lot of the ones that do broadcast still don't broadcast their signals with sufficient power to be really considered adequately serving the public. When ever one of the satellite companies mentions that a consumer isn't able to recieve OTA signal reasonably the NAB offers no consolidation in terms of the consumer being able to take his business elsewhere (you still are at the stations mercy for waivers and therefore their slave programming wise). I would love to some sort of certification where a licensed technician could come to your house and hook up an antenna say what you honestly could and could not recieve effectively. I seem to recall about 8 years ago D* tried this approach in terms of the approval with the FCC for a official license and the NAB totally stonewalled em'. The NAB IMO is a very consumer friendly group overall when it comes to rural areas, but when it comes to this issue they are trying get over on the system and screw the consumer comin' and goin'. :shocked

SimpleSimon said:
You're kidding, right? :(

No, i'm not, but I understand your puzzlement. I meant historically they have a good track record of protecting the public overall. This has not been true, however, within the last decade. I wish they would get back on track, but all they percieve right now is threats to their organization. It's sad really. :no

Shadowtestery near the bluff and the transmitters are located up on the bluff so I am in the shadow area I would have to go 30 or more feet above my roof to just have a shot at getting a signal. So the first system Satellite or Cable that will allow me to receive all the networks in HD even if they are not the local networks will be the winner in my house. Before I purchased my house I should have checked into OTA TV reception more.[/QUOTE said:
I am in the same position as you. Am only 10-12 miles from the SF tower, but directly behind a hill. 3+ years ago got the Canadian system (BEV) that still has more HD channels than anyone now that VOOM is defunct. They had/have ALL the major networks (both Boston and Seattle for Fox, NBC,ABC,CBS,PBS) and WB out of Chicago (WGN). Most UPN stuff (at least Star Trek was) is carried on a Toronto HD channel. 3 years ago, Comcast didn't have HD.
BEV just came out w. the DISH 942 (they call it the 9200). You need to give a Canadian address to subscribe - but can charge the monthly fees to a U.S. credit card.

...mike

Perhaps the size of the "hill" is a factor.

I sit 11 miles from my local tower, behind a hill from it. I can get every digital channel off of it with an amplified INDOOR antenna. Now analog channels are a different story, I can only get one clearly. My hill is only a couple hundred feet higher than my position.

Why...

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
Why can your local cable company show locals in HD but not Sat companies?
Interesting question, and I also wonder why I have to get a waiver signed by my local affiliates in Sacramento in order for Dish to let me have bay area stations (in SD), the very same stations that are already on my basic lifeline $10/month Comcast analog, which I'm keeping for this reason?

Riddle me this!! :what

blabber said:
Interesting question, and I also wonder why I have to get a waiver signed by my local affiliates in Sacramento in order for Dish to let me have bay area stations (in SD), the very same stations that are already on my basic lifeline $10/month Comcast analog, which I'm keeping for this reason?

Riddle me this!! :what

The rules for cable and satellite are different. There was a provision in the last satellite bill that dealt with "significantly viewed" stations but neither E* or D* is offering them yet. The HD locals question is a no-brainier, the reason is limited bandwidth, HD chews it up and even with MPEG4 E* doesn't expect to offer more than the top 20-25 markets in HD, ever. D* has more ambitious HD LIL plans but we'll have to wait and see how that all works out.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
The rules for cable and satellite are different. There was a provision in the last satellite bill that dealt with "significantly viewed" stations but neither E* or D* is offering them yet. The HD locals question is a no-brainier, the reason is limited bandwidth, HD chews it up and even with MPEG4 E* doesn't expect to offer more than the top 20-25 markets in HD, ever. D* has more ambitious HD LIL plans but we'll have to wait and see how that all works out.

NightRyder

Has Dish/Charlie ever made a statement that they would never offer HD locals to more than the top 20 - 25 markets? It is fairly obvious that by Dish's recent actions related to grabbing up large amounts bandwidth licenses in the Ku, KuX and Ka band that this is not the case. Your comment was made either out of complete ignorance or from a bias either against Dish or for DirecTV.

rocatman said:
Has Dish/Charlie ever made a statement that they would never offer HD locals to more than the top 20 - 25 markets? It is fairly obvious that by Dish's recent actions related to grabbing up large amounts bandwidth licenses in the Ku, KuX and Ka band that this is not the case. Your comment was made either out of complete ignorance or from a bias either against Dish or for DirecTV.

In fact Charlie made pretty much that exact statement in the last E* earnings call. He said trying to offer HD LIL on a national basis did not make economic sense and made it pretty clear he had no interest in competing with D* in this area. He also said that with MPEG4 E* would have the capacity to offer approx. 20 markets in HD but made no commitment to do so, I was simply passing on what was publicly stated by the E* CEO. I have no idea what your problem is, nor do I care, but your personal attacks are completely unwarranted and reflect poorly on you.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=476263&postcount=6

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
In fact Charlie made pretty much that exact statement in the last E* earnings call. He said trying to offer HD LIL on a national basis did not make economic sense and made it pretty clear he had no interest in competing with D* in this area. He also said that with MPEG4 E* would have the capacity to offer approx. 20 markets in HD but made no commitment to do so, I was simply passing on what was publicly stated by the E* CEO. I have no idea what your problem is, nor do I care, but your personal attacks are completely unwarranted and reflect poorly on you.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=476263&postcount=6

NightRyder

Funny how in an earlier post in this thread you stated "Of course all this could change at a moments notice" and now you state that Dish won't offer HD locals to more than the top 20 - 25 markets "ever". The post you referenced that addresses Dish's HD locals capability doesn't consider E-10, E-5 at 129 W or other future capacity. I think Charlie has learned to limit what he says on earnings conference calls and on Charlie Chats both because of possible shareholder lawsuits as well as competition concerns. There appears to be a great number of folks on this forum who are new based on the number of posts and my problem is that it is misleading to state in effect that Dish will never offer HD locals to markets besides the top 20 - 25. Dish's recent actions related to acquiring licenses to bandwidth that have been posted all over the satellite forums would logically indicate that this is not true.

rocatman said:
Funny how in an earlier post in this thread you stated "Of course all this could change at a moments notice" and now you state that Dish won't offer HD locals to more than the top 20 - 25 markets "ever". The post you referenced that addresses Dish's HD locals capability doesn't consider E-10, E-5 at 129 W or other future capacity. I think Charlie has learned to limit what he says on earnings conference calls and on Charlie Chats both because of possible shareholder lawsuits as well as competition concerns. There appears to be a great number of folks on this forum who are new based on the number of posts and my problem is that it is misleading to state in effect that Dish will never offer HD locals to markets besides the top 20 - 25. Dish's recent actions related to acquiring licenses to bandwidth that have been posted all over the satellite forums would logically indicate that this is not true.

What I posted was based on public comment from a corporate officer of E* to their investors, and that's what I'll go with until they officially say something else. If it makes you happy I will add that all plans are subject to change and that no one should base their choice of a service provider on the forward looking comment's of any company, or on the unsupported speculations of posters to this or other forums. I have been an E* customer for over 6 1/2 years and I want HD networks, I could care less if they are local or not. Whoever can provide the programming I want will get my business, if it is E* great, if not that's fine too.

NightRyder

Sorry Rocat but nightryder is right on this one. I just relistened to to conference call and he's pretty much dead on the money for now. Now do I truly believe this will be the case in future: heck no, but based on present data Nightrider was dead on the money.

ocnier said:
Sorry Rocat but nightryder is right on this one. I just relistened to to conference call and he's pretty much dead on the money for now. Now do I truly believe this will be the case in future: heck no, but based on present data Nightrider was dead on the money.

My point was that to imply that Dish will never provide HD locals for markets outside the top 20 - 25 is misleading. In reading the referenced post from the May 5 earnings conference call, it appears to state that Dish has the capacity to provide the top 20 markets and 50 national channels with the acquisition of R-1 and the satellites they have now. E-10 and E-11 will give them more capacity and I doubt that E-5 at 129 W was even discussed. If have been on these forums long enough you should know that you have to take what Charlie says with a grain of salt. You also have to put two and two together. Dish has been grabbing up huge amounts of satellite bandwidth licenses lately and its not for HD shopping channels or Internet access. There is no doubt in my mind that Dish is going to go toe to toe with DirecTV (and cable) on HD locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)