time to get back on DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

w4mjr

Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
I use to have directv years ago withend the first year it came out and made alittle money on the side installing dish systems for people. I have been away from it for a long time and been on cable. Now I am moving to another location where my dish is going to be put back to use. Now my question is where is the best place to buy my receiver and dish. With me being on DirecTV before I wouldn't be as a new customer for there 3 room offer. Ebay has alot of stuff for sale but why is so low priced ? I'm not interested in the tvio or hdtv receivers right now. My interest is just the simple TV veiwing right now. I have already run my cable for the receivers to the dish location and went to buy everything. Best Buy and Electronics Express sell receivers but no dish so I didn't buy anything. Is ebay my best way to go ?

Its low priced becuse its soon to be obsolete. It may be a great buy for HD though. If you buy it and acivate it theres a good chance that D* may upgrade it for you to mpeg4 for free.

It is a great time to future proof yourself for HDTV even if you don't have a set. On EBay you can find a phase 3 elliptical dish for about $40. Try to find an HD receiver for about $200. Any standard box can be found for less than $50. Get the HD channels even if they are downconverted and you will be ready to go if you jump to HD.

I havent heard that D* is upconverting SD boxes to HD for free. Only HD mpeg2 ones to mpeg4. Is there a press release I missed?

If they dont upgrade our receivers for free of charge I would expect them to lose customers left and right particularly those in the cable markets.

dtv

w4mjr said:
I use to have directv years ago withend the first year it came out and made alittle money on the side installing dish systems for people. I have been away from it for a long time and been on cable. Now I am moving to another location where my dish is going to be put back to use. Now my question is where is the best place to buy my receiver and dish. With me being on DirecTV before I wouldn't be as a new customer for there 3 room offer. Ebay has alot of stuff for sale but why is so low priced ? I'm not interested in the tvio or hdtv receivers right now. My interest is just the simple TV veiwing right now. I have already run my cable for the receivers to the dish location and went to buy everything. Best Buy and Electronics Express sell receivers but no dish so I didn't buy anything. Is ebay my best way to go ?

i have dtv since 12-04 they have change my contract 3 time now to where it expires 01-06 no reason for this,if i was you i'd go to dish, i'm going to drop dtv
and send the equipment back

w4mjr said:
If you have a local dealer visit them, with a new address and phone number you may qualify as a new customer. If you do you can get upto 4 receivers(basic) free with installation if you need more than 1 dish it is also free. If you subscribe to the Opcion Ultra Especial package you will get most of the Total Ckoice Plus channels for $39.99 instead of $45.99 saving $6/Mo. it also qualifies you for 3 months of the Movie channels free and gets the Phase 3 Dish included FREE. :) :) :)

cobra55 said:
i have dtv since 12-04 they have change my contract 3 time now to where it expires 01-06 no reason for this,if i was you i'd go to dish, i'm going to drop dtv and send the equipment back

I'm sure there is a reason for the extensions to your contract. Did you buy aditional receivers? Perhaps you added local channels with an upgrade of your dish, or the second dish needed in some areas. Or maybe you had to replace a receiver after the warranty expired. All three instances could result in you agreeing to an extension of your contract. I'm sure no one just arbitrarialy change your contract for no reason.

Status
Please reply by conversation.