Time to upgrade from the ol' 622

hdmi_guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Long story short after visiting my parents and seeing the PQ of their Time Warner Cable box it makes me want to upgrade my Dish equipment.

I currently have a 622 and a 612 and I was interested in a Hopper system.

My family records a lot of multi hour sporting events on top of the "regular" sitcoms, dramas, reality shows, and kid shows. Makes me think I might be best with a Hopper/Hopper set up.

I currently have 2 HDTVs; Living Room and Bedroom. It is very important that I have HD at each TV, didnt drop big bucks for nothing! ;)

I "chatted" with Dish and checked on both H/H and H/J, the price difference is $6 a month. What is to be gained or lost in each scenario. And I supposed the best question is, Is it worth the hassle of upgrading strictly for PQ?

Last edited:
The only way I know of is contact DISH. They will determine what your upgrade cost will be, contacting DIRT would be just about everybodys suggestion.

What makes you think that the PQ should be substantially better?

It isn't like the Hopper possesses some sort of magic power that wrings more detail out of the signal.

It's got to be better then my 10+ year old 622...?

It's got to be better then my 10+ year old 622...?
No, it absolutely doesn't have to be perceptibly better.

To be sure, there's been some incremental progress made in the scaling capability, but you may not notice it. I think it very unlikely that it will manifest as a night and day improvement.

Digital is like that.

I went from a 622 to a 722k I bought from a person here, and I couldn't be happier. Much more stable than the 622, and I think the pic may be a bit better. I could also now go with a Sling adapter, which you can't with the 622. I also no longer have a problem I had for years where ONE sat tuner would go black, but still have sound which happened frequently. The only fix was a reboot.

Some have said they saw a subtle PQ improvement with the Hopper, others none. To really have a difference would probably take a different, better compression method from the satellite or to the satellite, that a new chip would decode. Or, more bandwidth. Otherwise the most I would expect is a small incremental difference with a new receiver, if that.
If it were as simple as making a receiver that decodes for a substantially better picture, most every carrier would just do that.

Another NO, you won't see much if any difference...622 to Hopper. Not receiver tech as much as transmission. Still hard to believe any Comcast PQ is better than Dish...or Direct. Perhaps your parent's TV vs yours???

There is no difference in PQ between the 622, 722 and Hopper receivers. The Hoppers seem to look better because all the menus are in HD now and looks much more crisp. The PQ of the shows is no different though. We have a Hopper and 722k on display in our showroom connected to multiple TVs with HDMI and Component cables and you can't see a difference.

Long story short after visiting my parents and seeing the PQ of their Time Warner Cable box it makes me want to upgrade my Dish equipment.

Where on earth do they live? TWC is almost universally hated for what SDV has done to PQ. Where I live, switching from TWC to Dish was a huge improvement in every way, including PQ.

Could be their tv I suppose. The have a Sony 46 LCD. I have a 72 mitsu dlp and 50 panny plasma...

Could be their tv I suppose. The have a Sony 46 LCD. I have a 72 mitsu dlp and 50 panny plasma...

Well, your Panny Plasma (and Mits) should kick the cr*p out of their Sony.;) Although, smaller sets are more forgiving.

I find the picture quality of the Hopper much better than the two 722s or 622 I leased. As I said somewhere, even my wife noticed it without any prompting. I have a no-longer-made Samsung HLT5687, a DLP with 3 LED color drive and 960x1080 mirrors at 2 positions per frame. I use it in 1080p mode. It give a great picture. The 722 series recorders just were not as sharp.
-Ken

Well then. I guess I want to wait until I hear what the general consensus is before jumping to the Hopper... ;)

It is your loss. I didn't wait and got H2000 but finally the free offer of HwS, so I took that. Was pleased before and more so now.
-Ken

Well then. I guess I want to wait until I hear what the general consensus is before jumping to the Hopper... ;)

General consensus of WHAT beyond what has already been answered/explained or readily found here??

Last edited: