Time Warner Cable Loses Another 217,000 TV Customers

Probably why they are giving great offers to new subs. I switched to TWC last quarter for TV since they practically gave it away.

giving it away? I just priced cable plus internet and whole home dvr plus 5 extra boxes and it was 180 something a month...My house in stuart florida has comcast and we pay 70 for phone tv and internet (15 meg) if we added on 5 extra boxes and hd channels to comcast it would still only be like 130-140...TWC needs to realllllllyyyyy rethink their pricing.

giving it away? I just priced cable plus internet and whole home dvr plus 5 extra boxes and it was 180 something a month...My house in stuart florida has comcast and we pay 70 for phone tv and internet (15 meg) if we added on 5 extra boxes and hd channels to comcast it would still only be like 130-140...TWC needs to realllllllyyyyy rethink their pricing.

I have TiVo so I avoid the obnoxious box fees. Essentially going from broadband only to digital cable with HBO/SHO/MAX for a year is $50/month more than what I was paying for the broadband alone (they also threw in a phone line and one HD DVR which I am not using). When the year is up I will drop the phone and probably SHO/MAX, and return their HD DVR.

The way they have it priced in my area Digital TV by itself is $50, but of course if you bundle with internet it drops down to $30 over internet alone as a normal price. So, essentially the year deal is phone, 3 movie channels and a DVR for $20 more per month (essentially I am just taking the 3 movie channels). I had decided to drop Dish which AT 250 is $80/month and just go with the cable with cable cards since it is roughly $50/month cheaper with about the same channel lineup, they talked me into the $10/month extra deal.

Cable card makes the difference. My TiVo Romeo (with lifetime) cost $2.50/month for a cable card and does 3 TVs (with Tivo Minis). It would be about $75/month in their DVR fees.

Last edited:
Time Warner Cable Beats Q4 Earnings Expectations But Video Subs Still Fall

The No. 2 cable operator just stepped up its effort to resist Charter Communication’s $61.3B (including debt) takeover offer by raising the quarterly dividend by 15% to 75 cents a share — and reporting Q4 earnings that appear to top analyst forecasts, even with weak results for video.

deadline.com

I have TiVo so I avoid the obnoxious box fees. Essentially going from broadband only to digital cable with HBO/SHO/MAX for a year is $50/month more than what I was paying for the broadband alone (they also threw in a phone line and one HD DVR which I am not using). When the year is up I will drop the phone and probably SHO/MAX, and return their HD DVR.

The way they have it priced in my area Digital TV by itself is $50, but of course if you bundle with internet it drops down to $30 over internet alone as a normal price. So, essentially the year deal is phone, 3 movie channels and a DVR for $20 more per month (essentially I am just taking the 3 movie channels). I had decided to drop Dish which AT 250 is $80/month and just go with the cable with cable cards since it is roughly $50/month cheaper with about the same channel lineup, they talked me into the $10/month extra deal.

Cable card makes the difference. My TiVo Romeo (with lifetime) cost $2.50/month for a cable card and does 3 TVs (with Tivo Minis). It would be about $75/month in their DVR fees.

totally agree.....isnt it sad there is such a big divide though..Time warner charges you 52 bucks to do whole home dvr and provide 2 boxes....so what cost you 10-12 bucks on directv costs you an extra 40 bucks on Time warner....They need to hire me for 6 months and I can almost guarantee that I would have a growth for them, if not stop the leaky ship....they need fresh faces up there....I loved time warner in my area when I had it, simply because of on demand and fast internet, but not at those prices. Also the HD was really really good. To be honest the On Demand was such a big product that I almost thought about adding movie channels for the first time in my life because I could watch any of the movies any time I want. I miss On Demand But I dont miss paying 10 bucks extra month for a modem, Or 8 bucks extra for a remote....no THANK YOU!

totally agree.....isnt it sad there is such a big divide though..Time warner charges you 52 bucks to do whole home dvr and provide 2 boxes....so what cost you 10-12 bucks on directv costs you an extra 40 bucks on Time warner....They need to hire me for 6 months and I can almost guarantee that I would have a growth for them, if not stop the leaky ship....they need fresh faces up there....I loved time warner in my area when I had it, simply because of on demand and fast internet, but not at those prices. Also the HD was really really good. To be honest the On Demand was such a big product that I almost thought about adding movie channels for the first time in my life because I could watch any of the movies any time I want. I miss On Demand But I dont miss paying 10 bucks extra month for a modem, Or 8 bucks extra for a remote....no THANK YOU!

The movie channels now all have internet on demand for all their series and movies. The on demand from the cable box is a lot less valuable.

The movie channels now all have internet on demand for all their series and movies. The on demand from the cable box is a lot less valuable.

you mean where you stream it from your computer? if so there is nothing like sitting down on the cable box and picking out a movie...granted you could do something like chromecast or whatever..i am just saying it was a nice convience to go to bedroom or living room or basement and not have to worry about taking a HDMI dongle, it was just there (this was for me, and yes I realize the cost of all this lol).

I've been paying $119 per month the past three years for Comcast Digital Preferred (highest digital channel package, sports package, HBO/SHO/STARZ/MAX/etc.) with 30/15Mb Internet. And I just renewed that rate for a 4th straight year. I have my own Tivo boxes, two of which I got a $99 Lifetime upgrade offer from Tivo so the set-top-box charges are minimal (certainly much cheaper/better than the cable cos options). We don't really need the premium channels, but I'll switch over to FiOS if I don't get the price/channels I want. Our Texas house is for sale, but we've had FiOS since 2008 and get a new customer promotion renewed every year. Plus, we have a free DVR and our Cablecard fees are waived for life. I would FiOS here in our Virginia home (we'll be moving full-time here soon), but they wouldn't give me free video (I'm already paying for these channels at our TX home) or price match Comcast. Such is life.

Okay, we have 800+ credit scores and pay all of our bills on time (often early). Most companies will offer customers with good credit and account history special discounts because they really want their business. You just have to ask and/or demand a better offer. We never paid anything near full retail price when we were with Voom, Dish, FiOS or Comcast. I expect a much better deal than what's offered the average customer...and we get it. Conversely, if you're not deemed to be a good customer then you're going to pay what cable, satellite and telcos tell you to pay.

I've been paying $119 per month the past three years for Comcast Digital Preferred (highest digital channel package, sports package, HBO/SHO/STARZ/MAX/etc.) with 30/15Mb Internet. And I just renewed that rate for a 4th straight year. I have my own Tivo boxes, two of which I got a $99 Lifetime upgrade offer from Tivo so the set-top-box charges are minimal (certainly much cheaper/better than the cable cos options). We don't really need the premium channels, but I'll switch over to FiOS if I don't get the price/channels I want. Our Texas house is for sale, but we've had FiOS since 2008 and get a new customer promotion renewed every year. Plus, we have a free DVR and our Cablecard fees are waived for life. I would FiOS here in our Virginia home (we'll be moving full-time here soon), but they wouldn't give me free video (I'm already paying for these channels at our TX home) or price match Comcast. Such is life.

Okay, we have 800+ credit scores and pay all of our bills on time (often early). Most companies will offer customers with good credit and account history special discounts because they really want their business. You just have to ask and/or demand a better offer. We never paid anything near full retail price when we were with Voom, Dish, FiOS or Comcast. I expect a much better deal than what's offered the average customer...and we get it. Conversely, if you're not deemed to be a good customer then you're going to pay what cable, satellite and telcos tell you to pay.

Kinda Agree....I have great credit but Time Warner Cable here in Northeast Ohio does NOT play ball with their prices..at ALL. In fact a lot of times they dont even offer any type of discounts for existing customers when their promotion runs out.

you mean where you stream it from your computer? if so there is nothing like sitting down on the cable box and picking out a movie...granted you could do something like chromecast or whatever..i am just saying it was a nice convience to go to bedroom or living room or basement and not have to worry about taking a HDMI dongle, it was just there (this was for me, and yes I realize the cost of all this lol).

HBO/MAX Go work with Roku or Apple TV (HBO, max requires an iphone/ipad to get it to stream to the Apple TV). Starz VOD works with Google TV or Chromecast, Showtime Anytime limited to Chromecast as far as getting the movies/shows to the TV easily. HBOGO makes it the easiest with both Roku and AppleTV.

At $30 a chromecast dongle for a couple TVs is not too bad.

HBO/MAX Go work with Roku or Apple TV (HBO, max requires an iphone/ipad to get it to stream to the Apple TV). Starz VOD works with Google TV or Chromecast, Showtime Anytime limited to Chromecast as far as getting the movies/shows to the TV easily. HBOGO makes it the easiest with both Roku and AppleTV.

At $30 a chromecast dongle for a couple TVs is not too bad.

You don't need airplay to get HBO Go to an Apple TV anymore. Sometime last year the added HBO Go natively to the Apple TV. I use it all the time. Picture and audio quality seem a little better than air playing from my iPad too.

You don't need airplay to get HBO Go to an Apple TV anymore. Sometime last year the added HBO Go natively to the Apple TV. I use it all the time. Picture and audio quality seem a little better than air playing from my iPad too.

That is what I meant, but I guess I did not phrase it correctly. MAXGO still requires airplay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)