Time Warner Commercial

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hookem99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
This might be old news, but I thought it was funny. I am watching the Royals v. Mariners game (MLBEI) via FSN KC. A Time Warner commercial come on and the guy says the D* DOES NOT HAVE HD programming on demand. So I went to my OD screen and chose high def, and guess what I found......;)

Damn cable co's.....:D

They also advertise free HD here in KC. You have to have the digital box at $10 per month.

The reason why they can get away with saying it is because Directs VOD is still Beta. Even though it is available to anyone who sets it up and has a DVR.

I'm pretty sure DirecTV's VOD is out of beta. I haven't set it up because no broadband here.

I thought it was still in beta, that said, it could be and I am just not aware of it, having had it for quite sometime thanks to the CE program, I tend to lose track of when they come out for the masses.

Jimbo

Cable is desperate...

AMEN!!! They just lost another customer today when my wife called to cancel our TWC service after having D* installed yesterday. They asked her why ... she said her husband wanted MORE HD ... and I got it too ... 46 channels as opposed to TWC's 13. They said they are increasing their number of HD channels soon. Why wait? :hungry: Besides, the D* DVR is so much more feature packed than the seriously crippled TWC one where no ports are supported ... no USB, no SATA, no Firewire, no Ethernet ... and you can only have one output at a time ... so cannot get anything off of the hard drive, nor increase the hard drive size. Bye bye TWC ... it was a pleasure to say so.

I'm pretty sure DirecTV's VOD is out of beta. I haven't set it up because no broadband here.

No broadband? That sucks. You must really be in east Kentucky... BFEgypt. The small town in northern Michigan I grew up in has had broadband for 6-7 years and there are less than 25,000 citizens county-wide up there. Glad I got out of there 13 1/2 years ago.

Hasn't the price come down on directduo, or whatever they are calling it now? I keep seeing ads for satellite broadband with DirecTV on DirecTV's national network spot ads. I think you still need a phone line for upload but download over the sat. You can forget online gaming with the latency but it would be useful for surfing and downloading DirecTV VOD.

AMEN!!! They just lost another customer today when my wife called to cancel our TWC service after having D* installed yesterday. They asked her why ... she said her husband wanted MORE HD ... and I got it too ... 46 channels as opposed to TWC's 13. They said they are increasing their number of HD channels soon. Why wait? :hungry: Besides, the D* DVR is so much more feature packed than the seriously crippled TWC one where no ports are supported ... no USB, no SATA, no Firewire, no Ethernet ... and you can only have one output at a time ... so cannot get anything off of the hard drive, nor increase the hard drive size. Bye bye TWC ... it was a pleasure to say so.

Why do you only have 46 HD channels ?

so cannot get anything off of the hard drive, nor increase the hard drive size. Bye bye TWC ... it was a pleasure to say so.

How do you get stuff off the hard drive with DirecTV and what context do you mean with "getting it off the hard drive?" The data is encrypted and unreadable on a PC, at least with Dish and DirecTV. If there is a program that can read a movie file from DirecTV on the PC, I'd like to hear about it.

I realize you can buy an eSATA hard drive and expand your storage space (which you can do with TW's twin BHN too by the way, at least with the SA 8300HD like we have in the Tampa market). But as far as I know you cannot just hook that drive up to a PC and copy the data over and somehow read a high quality HD movie by breaking the encryption and making a useful file out of it that you can store on the PC and share with others. Maybe I am missing something. Really, what do you mean by getting it off the hard drive?

He is either counting the true count (NO game only RSNs, broadcast networks, PPVs) or he isn't subscribing to the Premiere pack or any premiums. We certainly don't get 95 HD channels (even with the Premiere pack), but I am not complaining about what I get. I am very happy with DirecTV. I just wish they would take the initiative and stop lying about the number of HD channels. Then others would follow suit.

Instead of worrying about windfall profits with the oil companies, who are straight up about their profits and doing legitimate business in the US, congress should be holding hearings about all satellite and cable providers and come up with a standard for counting HD channels. The lies need to stop. The average Joe thinks he is getting 95 HD nationals. Nevermind that a bunch of them in the count are PPV movies he'll never order. We all know that PPV is not the same thing as real HD channels like HDNET, HGTV HD, CNN HD, HBO HD, etc... anybody that counts HD PPV in a national channel HD count is not being truthful. Like I said twice before, if Verizon FIOS, who has the bandwidth, added 400 HD PPV channels with movies starting at five minute intervals, would you count them as having an addional 400 HD nationals? No you wouldn't. I love DirecTV and am not picking on them. Just about all providers are lying nowadays, pretending they really have 95 or 32 or 17 HD nationals. This sh*t is very misleading and proably falls under FALSE ADVERTISING laws.

He is either counting the true count (NO game only RSNs, broadcast networks, PPVs) or he isn't subscribing to the Premiere pack or any premiums. We certainly don't get 95 HD channels (even with the Premiere pack), but I am not complaining about what I get. I am very happy with DirecTV. I just wish they would take the initiative and stop lying about the number of HD channels. Then others would follow suit.

Instead of worrying about windfall profits with the oil companies, who are straight up about their profits and doing legitimate business in the US, congress should be holding hearings about all satellite and cable providers and come up with a standard for counting HD channels. The lies need to stop. The average Joe thinks he is getting 95 HD nationals. Nevermind that a bunch of them in the count are PPV movies he'll never order. We all know that PPV is not the same thing as real HD channels like HDNET, HGTV HD, CNN HD, HBO HD, etc... anybody that counts HD PPV in a national channel HD count is not being truthful. Like I said twice before, if Verizon FIOS, who has the bandwidth, added 400 HD PPV channels with movies starting at five minute intervals, would you count them as having an addional 400 HD nationals? No you wouldn't. I love DirecTV and am not picking on them. Just about all providers are lying nowadays, pretending they really have 95 or 32 or 17 HD nationals. This sh*t is very misleading and proably falls under FALSE ADVERTISING laws.

How can they NOT count RSN's, although I feel the RSN should count as 1 channel, not the total number of RSN's.
The way I look at it, IF you are able to purchase it thru D*, it should count.

PPV's should also count as one, kinda as a seperate area.

Actually I really don't care about the number of HD channels, IF everything I watch is in HD thats enough for me.

There are very few channels left that I watch that are not in HD, Comedy Central being one of them, now that my local RSN is in HD, I'm pretty much set, oh, maybe TV Land would be good too.
That said, there is still alot of HD channels that are showing a small amount of HD.

Like I said before, if all the channels I watch are in HD then I have no need for any more....

Jimbo

According to the DIRECTV website, you get about 46 HD channels (including LIL plus one RSN but not including PPV/event channels) when you subscribe to a Choice Xtra or Plus package and add the HD Extra pack.

No broadband? That sucks. You must really be in east Kentucky... BFEgypt. The small town in northern Michigan I grew up in has had broadband for 6-7 years and there are less than 25,000 citizens county-wide up there. Glad I got out of there 13 1/2 years ago.

Hasn't the price come down on directduo, or whatever they are calling it now? I keep seeing ads for satellite broadband with DirecTV on DirecTV's national network spot ads. I think you still need a phone line for upload but download over the sat. You can forget online gaming with the latency but it would be useful for surfing and downloading DirecTV VOD.

I think its been upgraded to two way satellite internet now..no phone line required

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts