Timer backups when upgrading from HWS to hopper 3?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

beandaddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I'd read here it does a backup to the remote (?!).
Can I backup my timers? If so, how does it all work?

I was able to back up and traded safer my timers with somewhat success. It transferred timers but defaulted all the timers into the "no folder" folder. Realizing I didn't first set up folders I set up folders first and restarted timers once again, this time around the timers had all different folders selected. So I had to go and edit 157 timers to select correct folders. Grateful I got timers but would have been nice if it knew the save location as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: beandaddy
Thanks! I'm getting the hopper 3 in the morning... Is it the same procedure only use restore on the hopper 3?
Funny. I had a backup dated a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks! I'm getting the hopper 3 in the morning... Is it the same procedure only use restore on the hopper 3?
The remotes automatically backup, usually weekly for HWS and Hopper 1. Not sure if the Hopper 3 auto backs up or not.

To restore your backup on the Hopper 3: First you must do this from your original remote. Now with the new remote press Home 3 times. You will see the diagnostics screen. Now with your original remote press Sat. The remote will beep and you will see it appear on your diagnostics screen. Now, with the original remote go down to Tools and then go to Restore Settings and then Restore To Receiver. It maybseem cumbersome but it is really easy, and it works.

The absolute easiest way to restore settings to a new Hopper is when setting up the new Hopper do NOT pair the new remote when setup asks for remote (you can pair it later) use the remote from the old Hopper that has the backup.
The new Hopper will detect the saved backup and ask if you want to restore just answer yes and it will be done that simple.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The absolute easiest way to restore settings to a new Hopper is when setting up the new Hopper do NOT pair the new remote when setup asks for remote (you can pair it later) use the remote from the old Hopper that has the backup.
The new Hopper will detect the saved backup and ask if you want to restore just answer yes and it will be done that simple.
Good info n0qcu. Do you know if the 52.0 and 40.0 remote controls that are paired to the Hopper 3 automatically backup settings and timers?

Thanks y'all. I got it back...
One set of return instructions said NOT to include the remote. Another said to include the remote... Then I had to decide on which remote to return... Ok. I sent back the old ones (after restoring my backup successfully)
Man! I don't like the 52.0 remote. No blue button. So many things seem to take more clicks... It's only a few hours of use, but no. Not enjoying it... And I wasn't a fan of the old one...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yesterday I had a new Hopper 3 with 3 Joey 2s, installed to replace my 2 HWS and 2 Joey 1s. I had backed up all of my old equipment to their respective remotes. After the install was complete, I attempted to restore my timers, favorites and settings to the new units. Nothing worked and the installer tried every trick to make it work without success. I finally called tech support and was told that the new operating system for the Hopper 3 is not compatible with the operating system on older equipment, and the ability to restore old setting, favorites, and timers is lost. I was pissed. My tech tried to restore my old equipment, but everything was gone. I gave up and will spend hours restoring my system.

I am not impressed with the Hopper 3. The new interface and the new remote is almost unusable. If I knew that I would lose all my settings, I would not have ungraded.

Wake up Dish. The idiot who designed your new interface should be fired.

You should have asked here for how to do it. Basically you back up the timers and such from your HWS to the remote and then unpair that remote from that box. Then when the new H3 is in you pair that remote to the H3 and then it will restore. I did that when I got mine and it worked just fine.

Note that only one HWS backup can be restored to the H3, not both. And I did wait until the installation was very complete and things populated to do it.

As to the interface, to each his own. I find it much better than the older Hopper interface but it does take a little time to learn everything, similar to the learning curve moving from a VIP unit to the Hopper.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

I finally called tech support and was told that the new operating system for the Hopper 3 is not compatible with the operating system on older equipment, and the ability to restore old setting, favorites, and timers is lost.

...and what tech support told you would be incorrect. Sorry to hear it didn't work in your case for whatever reason, but it wasn't because of incompatibility between the old UI and the new UI.

Did your installer go through the routine to pair the old remote to your H3 before trying to restore the timers? If not, and if you still have the old 40 remote, maybe it would be worth a shot to try that again. Sadly, it certainly wouldn't be the first report of an installer who didn't know the proper routine to restore timers from a remote (or even that it was possible).

I have seen multiple instances as described with problems restoring from old Hopper remotes. A new set of batteries have fixed them all. :)

Reactions: DWS44
I tried it again and three of the four worked. I elected to keep the old controllers. I am using them to control my Joeys. I have a Harmony 700 for the Hopper.

I still feel the same about the new interface, but can live with it.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)