Timers and Satellite Signal

nicmartim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
SE Nebraska
Okay, here is the situation; I set Lost to record and also set V to record (back to back on ABC). Something happens whereas V does NOT record and Lost gets it's last 5 minutes chopped off. When scrambling to the TV2 to try and record V as not to miss too much I find that mysteriously tuner 2 has NO satellite signal. WTF?? I have signal on tuner 1 as something else is showing. This has happened twice in as many weeks. Is there a know issue with back-to-back timers on the VIP722? How does tuner 2 suddenly drop sat. signal? Totally perplexing and quite frustrating. :mad::mad::mad:

If you set a 5 minute late under options on your LOST timer, you would of got the whole show. As for V , it should of recorded also since you have two tuners in the 722. Unless you had another show with higher priority recording at the same time. But remember that setting a timer late to anything other than 5 minutes or more , say 1 or 3 minutes late, it will not record it if another show is set to record right after it. So the key is set it for 5 minutes or later if you want the entire show recorded.

Okay, here is the situation; I set Lost to record and also set V to record (back to back on ABC). Something happens whereas V does NOT record and Lost gets it's last 5 minutes chopped off. When scrambling to the TV2 to try and record V as not to miss too much I find that mysteriously tuner 2 has NO satellite signal. WTF?? I have signal on tuner 1 as something else is showing. This has happened twice in as many weeks. Is there a know issue with back-to-back timers on the VIP722? How does tuner 2 suddenly drop sat. signal? Totally perplexing and quite frustrating. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm having the same issues. It started sometime last week! It's very frustrating, because unless you are actually paying attention, you don't realize it's happening. The only way I have been able to get around it so that I get the signal back on TV2 is to view a recorded show, and then hit Live-TV. I'm assuming an update jacked things up. BTW, I've only noticed this issues when it's recording locals on each tuner.

Last edited:
Are we on to something here? Last night I got only 15 minutes of NCIS followed by "loss of signal" then it recorded the first 15 minutes of Glee and NCIS LA followed by "loss of signal." Those shows follow one another. It was a moonlit night last night. No rain or even heavy clouds. Also during the evening I was able to watch recorded shows without any trouble, FWIW. Any ideas?

Are you-all using the satellite signal or OTA? OTA can have signal loss problems.

If you record back-to-back shows on one channel you may do better to set a manual timer for both. Alternatively you can set a long record extension for 1/2 hour or 1 hour to get both shows in 1 record. Blame the networks for running over on their most popular show and cutting the time from the following show.
-Ken

Are you-all using the satellite signal or OTA? OTA can have signal loss problems.

If you record back-to-back shows on one channel you may do better to set a manual timer for both. Alternatively you can set a long record extension for 1/2 hour or 1 hour to get both shows in 1 record. Blame the networks for running over on their most popular show and cutting the time from the following show.
-Ken

This is not an OTA problem. My OTA is recorded fine, these are local HD channels being recorded. My guess this is a software update problem. BTW, it happened again yesterday evening.