Timers limit is not 96.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
The remote will let you add timers until you reach 96. The it refuses any more

With DISH Remote Access you can add more. I now have 100.

My worry is that I will overflow some buffer--I would like more but what is the real limit?

-Ken

P.S. now I'm locked out of even adding a viewed show to the list, until I get rid of 5 of them. -K

Last edited:
I forget the limit of timers, but you need to understand that you can max out the memory will before you reach the timer limit because there is a limit to the number of events you have in memory. I think the event limit is around 380, I'm not sure, but that limit can be reached long before the limit of timers. Each instance that a show airs, repeats or new, is added to the memory of events. While many of those events won't record, it still takes up memory.

For example, let's say you want to record a show like Modern Marvels on History. Well, that show airs something like 35 times in a week (at least it used to). Now, someone in your household want to record MTV shows like The Real World, etc. Some of those shows will air as many 40+ in a week. Add another MTV show for another 25 or 30. There are a lot of kids shows that air like 50+ times in a week. We have only used a few timers, but it won't take but a few more timers like the ones above to take you to the EVENT limit of some 380+. When you reach that limit, no more timers are permitted. So, you could have as few as 9 timers, but reached your EVENT limit and the box won't let you make any more timers as it will display the "Maximum number of "timers." But it is really the number of events limit that you hit.

It is important to note that as time occurs for each event, it will then purge form memory and now you have more events available. So, let's say MTV airs their Real World marathon and Made marathon on the same day taking up 50 EVENTS. Well by the end of that day and the time for the events pass, you will have 50 events cleared and will now be able to make new timers.

That is just one example just to illustrate a point. I hope I explained it clearly enough. And, yes, people have (including me) have hit the event limit long before the timer limit.

The way to see how many event you really have, go to your Daily Schedule and look at the number of events at the bottom, but make certain you "view skipped" because that is the real number. If it is set to Hide Skip, than only the timers that will fire are counted and you will see a lower number of events at the bottom. Then Show Skip, and you will see the real number of events in memory and how close you are to your limit.

I have seen the precise limit numbers for both timers and events posted on here, but I just can't remember them. I hope this was of help.

Clearly I am not near the total event limit as the listed events (active+not) are only 88. This is because I have a lot of timers which are lone-timers or will only get a few cases per year--they just don't show what I want.

So the arbitrary remote limit of 96 is just too low for this case but hints that picking up a lot of single event as from the Sling site will not cause trouble other than not being able to capture the current show. So I guess I should continue to add to the timers as I can capture live on the other 722 along with my daily/weekly program as long as I don't get blocked with 2 or 3 shows at the current time. That helps a little if I've got it straight.

-Ken

Good info to know, thanks for sharing. I use the remote access to record single events all the time and it looks like it won't cause problems with the memory as long as I'm not near the event limit (since each only has 1 entry).

I guess it is good to be as specific as you can when setting up timers so that you don't fill up the event list with unnecessary skipped events.

At least on my 622, you can add over the 96 limit, but during the nightly check for updates, any timers above 96 are removed. So you are good as long as the time finishes up before the system update happens, but if the timer is in the future, it will be removed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts