Timetrax "error connecting to radio" message

wbyberg

Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I am running version 3.4 via an XMDirect with a serial 9 pin connection (not USB). I've been using this setup for about 9 mos. with no problem but for the past week when I start TimeTrax the program initializes and does the usual port search then after about a minute it returns an error that says "Error connecting to radio". The unit is powered up. I do not see a COM 5 listed in my list of ports in System.
Q: Do I need a new serial card or install a new Com 5 driver or what?
Any help would be great!

You say that it was working and then all of a sudden stopped.

Have you made any changes to the PC?

Have you updated any files, software, OS, etc?

If you have made zero changes then it could possibily be your radio hardware.

Is there a reason why you are not using the USB connector? What made you go the route of the serial 9pin?

Thanks

Derek

Actually I have two XMDs - one with a serial connection and a brand new one with a USB adapter from (powerondude). They have been upgraded with optical and coaxial outputs. TT does not find either one. I use the XMD with the serial connection because my USB plugs are used up by other hardware.
I did install a Visioneer USB scanner around the time the problems started but I can not recall if it was working after the install. I uninstalled the scanner and drivers and also uninstalled the drivers that I thought were associated with the XMD. I was hoping that Windows would find new hardware and ask me to reinstall something to get it fixed but still nothing. The only other weird symptom is now when I start up is I get a found new hardware for a USB controller ("properties" lists: device 29 function 7). Windows keeps asking me to install the driver so I disabled it. All my USB devices are working fine. I was thinking that it was not related to my XM problem because it uses a serial connection.
Maybe a clean XP install will reset everything and fix the issue but I hate to resort to that because it takes forever to reinstall all the programs again.

I appreciate your situation but it makes it very hard for us to support your units since they have been modified.

This would be similar to if you have modified your vehicle with aftermarket parts and you would expect your dealer to support it when it breaks or try to cover things under warranty when they have been modified. Mechanics know their products and how the stock parts work with it. (This I know from experience) ;)

The same is true here. We at TimeTrax are going to be unable to support your issue... however there are many people on this forum that might be able to offer some insight since others have modified their units (at their own risk).

So hopefully someone else here can shed some light on this for you.

Derek

New units that have not been modified are not found either.
Anyway I appreciate your response. I'll keep pluggin away, its probably something to do with the serial port and card. Thanks.

What works for some users when it comes to USB ports is that if you unplug the unit from one USB port and plug it into a different port it forces the drivers to reload.

You can try that.

Derek.

dserianni said:
What works for some users when it comes to USB ports is that if you unplug the unit from one USB port and plug it into a different port it forces the drivers to reload.

You can try that.

You could also try powering down your radio for a minute (or less) then powering up again.

This has worked for a few different problems I have had in the past.

Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)