Tinnitus

Lots of good information. Thanks!

Van - I feel for you. I cannot imagine how crazy I would be with three tones instead of just the one.

ronton - I've been on Diovan for blood pressure for several years now. Might be worth going without for just a few days, I'll be sure to keep my cuff handy to be sure I don't explode!

I wonder, is there any sort of "noise canceling" device that works for a noise that "isn't there" - i.e. can be adjusted to produce the "canceling" of certain frequencies? Perhaps something like that and I could adjust it until the noise "goes away."

Some types seem to be actual noise in the ear. Your idea might help there. Might be kinda what satgal is talking about - haven't followed link yet.

Some types seem to be neurons firing in the head. Not likely nc headphones would help with that.

I don't always notice mine. But, like mentioned above, just mention it and the noise becomes front and center. I'm not sure, but I think mine is slowly getting worse as the years go by. Probably nothing I'll worry about in another 50 years!

Ive had it for over 30 years now. Hearing was damaged by noise in the 80s. Work related and loud concerts. Now that I'm in my 50s it seems to be getting worse. I can hear it all the time. But it only gets to me every once in a while. I use to be able to ignore it.

I tried a precedure offer by The Shea Clinic here in Memphis called Perfusion. What they do is poke a hole in you ear with a laser and put lydocaine (sp?) in it. You have to lay perfectly still with that ear up an do not swallow for two hours. They do this for three days. It didn't work for me. But some of the others having it done it helps. Dr Shea told me it a 60/40 chance of working. I was the 40.

I don't think this was mention. Cutting out caffeine helps some too. Again I could tell the difference. But the ringing in my ears is pretty loud.

Lots of good information. Thanks!

Van - I feel for you. I cannot imagine how crazy I would be with three tones instead of just the one.

ronton - I've been on Diovan for blood pressure for several years now. Might be worth going without for just a few days, I'll be sure to keep my cuff handy to be sure I don't explode!

I wonder, is there any sort of "noise canceling" device that works for a noise that "isn't there" - i.e. can be adjusted to produce the "canceling" of certain frequencies? Perhaps something like that and I could adjust it until the noise "goes away."

What you are describing is called a noise generator. These are much cheaper than the neuromonics device. If you decide to go to an audiologist to try any of these things make sure they have the "trial" period. In NY state it is 45 days.
Here is a link to one manufacturer of noise generators. They work very well ... for some people.
General Hearing Instruments Tackles Tinnitus With Tranquil Simplicity | News | The Hearing Review | Hearing Review Products

ENTs are typically the ones that try injections or drugs of different types.
Audiologists typically use other methods. Really you should read the NY Times article that I posted above. It is not just about our clinic. The writer personally has tinnitus and the article was about the problem and what he ended up doing.

Some types seem to be actual noise in the ear. Your idea might help there. Might be kinda what satgal is talking about - haven't followed link yet.

Some types seem to be neurons firing in the head. Not likely nc headphones would help with that.

I don't always notice mine. But, like mentioned above, just mention it and the noise becomes front and center. I'm not sure, but I think mine is slowly getting worse as the years go by. Probably nothing I'll worry about in another 50 years!

Many military men are having problems and have gone to the VA hospitals. After checking their records for noise exposure. After a bit (well a lot actually) of paperwork the VA hospitals that deal with tinnitus have paid.

I have had it since 1980. I know exactly what caused me to get it. I was restoring a '68 Mustang, running a disk sander. With no ear protection, of course. I was 27, and hearing problems were not a consideration. I'd stop, my ears would ring for a while, then stop. Except one day, one ear didn't stop. Still hasn't. A few years later my doctor gave me a prescription (way to long ago to know exactly what it was) that he said had a slim chance of helping. Medication that would expand the capillaries and might "shake things loose." It did turn me a lovely shade of red 15 minutes after taking it, but didn't do anything for the tinnitus. The worst for me has been noisy rooms, with lots of people talking. Last year I got hearing aids. (My insurance plan added $2500 for hearing aids every 3 years last year.) They don't get rid of the noise, but in a noisy location I can set them so that only the mike facing forward is on, not the rear facing mike, which makes it easier to listen to someone in a crowded, noisy setting, by cutting down on the extra noise. Helpful for me in my profession as a pastor.

It amazes me how much the mind can play with you. I don't have this condition, but I truly feel for you guys that do. But by the time I finish reading an update in this thread I find myself hearing a tone myself - and the more I think about it the more pronounced it gets. Then within a few minutes it is gone. Strange.

I had it right after a military deployment. 4 days of combat 24/7, never ending explosions, and helicopter noise. I was a medic on evac missions. After that I had it for over 30 years. After my sudden cardiac problem a few years ago, it stopped. I jokingly say that I got a reboot because I run on windows. Now I only get it when reading about others having it. It seems like it is coming from the center of my head, not in the ears so it is likely psychosomatic. Thanks Sat Gal for your post, especially the last one of Not to worry...

PS- I don't recommend cardiac arrest as a cure for tinnitus

I also have some ear problems unrelated to tinnitus. I get excessive ear wax buildup that doesn't naturally wash out. I use the drops that fizzz and then wash it out with a water pic on lowest setting. Recommended by the ENT. After I clean that out ( usually twice a week ) I can hear high frequencies very well again for 2 days of so and then need to do it all over again. I know about diet that increases wax buildup, like chocolate and peanuts etc.

So I avoid nuts altogether but have a weakness for chocolate and eat small amounts every so often. This reduced the wax quantity significantly but I still have the hearing loss that is recovered with the cleansing. 20 some years ago I was doing a lot of diving and some projects took me into polluted water and I got many ear infections so my ears are also sensitive to that.

I guess its OK here to revive a 10 1/2 year old thread? If not then let me know and I will start a new one.

Anyway, I suddenly started experiencing Tinnitus about a week ago. Its a high pitched ringing that travels from ear (sometimes both). I think it was brought on by extreme stress from lack of sleep (only a few hours a night) which is in turn due to a medical condition that I have been battling for over 10 months. The tinnitus makes it even harder to sleep. Yesterday one of my doctors prescribed Xanax to calm me down enough to sleep. It also seems to reduce the loudness of the tinnitus. But it makes me tired and I am afraid to drive, so I now need my wife or son to drive me places.

I had my hearing tested this morning and the tech said it showed a normal level of high pitch hearing loss for my age (63). Tinnitus could be from the prescription or OTC meds I have been taking for the past 10 1/2 months for my bladder issue. 3 days ago I stopped taking the Naproxen, which is suspected of causing hearing damage in some people

Going to see an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor tomorrow. Any advice on what I should ask him?

The Navy gave me mine.

Ask if there’s any new treatments. I doubt it. I stopped reading ads claiming a cure many years ago.

Last edited:
I guess its OK here to revive a 10 1/2 year old thread? If not then let me know and I will start a new one.

Anyway, I suddenly started experiencing Tinnitus about a week ago. Its a high pitched ringing that travels from ear (sometimes both). I think it was brought on by extreme stress from lack of sleep (only a few hours a night) which is in turn due to a medical condition that I have been battling for over 10 months. The tinnitus makes it even harder to sleep. Yesterday one of my doctors prescribed Xanax to calm me down enough to sleep. It also seems to reduce the loudness of the tinnitus. But it makes me tired and I am afraid to drive, so I now need my wife or son to drive me places.

I had my hearing tested this morning and the tech said it showed a normal level of high pitch hearing loss for my age (63). Tinnitus could be from the prescription or OTC meds I have been taking for the past 10 1/2 months for my bladder issue. 3 days ago I stopped taking the Naproxen, which is suspected of causing hearing damage in some people

Going to see an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor tomorrow. Any advice on what I should ask him?

Maybe you could use a tinnitus masker device?

I've had tinnitus for more years than I want to remember. In the last 5 years or so I can hear my heartbeat in my right ear. I have learned to live with it. If you don't focus on it the noise is there but you really disregard it. You just have to learn to forget it's there which of course means that you concentrate on other things. It helps a great deal.

Reactions: dfergie
Yeah, me too! I’ve just learned to live with it.

Speak up, I can’t hear you!

;)

When there’s a REAL fix, masker or otherwise, I’m sure it will be widely trumpeted. And recommended by my doctors. It’s a pretty widespread condition. Until then, it’s just snake oil. I won’t waste my time on false hopes anymore.

Reactions: dfergie and Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)