Tinnitus

My brother is a Vietnam veteran. He went to the VA and after test they got him a hearing aid and even send him battery,s. Every 3 years he gets a new hearing aid. And he got a partial disability payment close to $150 per month.

Maybe you could use a tinnitus masker device?
One I wear all the time or just for sleeping? During the day I hear well enough. If it was something I have to wear I would need a trial period to decide it would be something I'd want.

I had to use a radio (tuned in between stations to hear static) the first night. I also tried YouTube relaxation videos of ocean waves and "delta waves". Both helped me sleep. Last night I took a Xanax and I didn't even need noise/music masking to sleep! After my first 24 hours of Xanax I still hear the noise in my ears but have gotten to the point where I don't fret about it as much. But Xanax makes me sleepy during the day so when I go places I have to have a driver.

Will ask my E.N.T. doc tomorrow if there are any new treatments (doubt it, but can't hurt to ask). Since I also have severe neck pain and the tinnitus changes if I turn my neck, he will probably order imaging. I also have a lot of facial and jaw pain (TMJ?). That could be the cause. Stress makes the TMJ worse and I had plenty of that before the tinnitus started.

Last edited:
I’ve been sleeping with a running fan on for about 20 years now. It gets me through the night but really wonder what “normal” hearing is/was really like

One I wear all the time or just for sleeping? During the day I hear well enough. If it was something I have to wear I would need a trial period to decide it would be something I'd want.

I had to use a radio (tuned in between stations to hear static) the first night. I also tried YouTube relaxation videos of ocean waves and "delta waves". Both helped me sleep. Last night I took a Xanax and I didn't even need noise/music masking to sleep! After my first 24 hours of Xanax I still hear the noise in my ears but have gotten to the point where I don't fret about it as much. But Xanax makes me sleepy during the day so when I go places I have to have a driver.

Will ask my E.N.T. doc tomorrow if there are any new treatments (doubt it, but can't hurt to ask). Since I also have severe neck pain and the tinnitus changes if I turn my neck, he will probably order imaging. I also have a lot of facial and jaw pain (TMJ?). That could be the cause. Stress makes the TMJ worse and I had plenty of that before the tinnitus started.

I use one for nights. A couple years ago I switched from my old C-pap machine to a new style that makes NO noise. I liked the old C-pap that had a louder fan noise. Anyway, I got a white noise machine with a headphone jack, and wear that at night. It works perfect, as my brain stays hyper-vigilant all night, and I'd never sleep without masking most sounds.

I can HIGHLY recommend this one, and I use the "White Noise" setting: Amazon product ASIN B002SMJQT4

Reactions: navychop
I use one for nights. A couple years ago I switched from my old C-pap machine to a new style that makes NO noise. I liked the old C-pap that had a louder fan noise. Anyway, I got a white noise machine with a headphone jack, and wear that at night. It works perfect, as my brain stays hyper-vigilant all night, and I'd never sleep without masking most sounds.

I can HIGHLY recommend this one, and I use the "White Noise" setting: Amazon product ASIN B002SMJQT4
Thanks for the Amazon white noise machine link. I like the fact that is non-looping. My wife has one that loops so frequently that she notices it.

My wife also uses a CPAP machine. It is fairly loud and does not make the kind of sound that helps me sleep. She is OK with it, but I don't like the sound. Do you know the make/model of your quiet CPAP?

Anyway I went to the E.N.T. doc this morning about my tinnitus. My hearing test is at 96% of normal, so no red flags there or evidence of prolonged exposure to noise. Just normal age related heariing loss.

The doc said there is nothing he can do about my Tinnitus, as it is a symptom of the factors that I described to him. In my case it is somatic, which is a fancy word for saying its in the brain where sound is perceived. Stress and anxiety heightens awareness of it

My best course of action is to work on the root causes affecting my lack of sleep, stress, and anxiety. And I must discontinue two of meds I was taking that are known to make tinnitus worse - naproxen and ibuprofen, which I have done.

Speaking of sleep, I took a 2 mg tablet of Xanax last night and fell asleep in the lounge chair without even having a chance to walk to bed! I woke up without any tinnitus and walked to bed. Slept a long time and woke up with barely noticeible tinnitus in me left ear.

Last night with the Xanax was the best sleep I have gotten in many months . As a side benefit It also has helped with my interstitial cystitus -- as stress is know to cause flare ups of that. But I will need to gradually wean myself off of the Xanax over time.

N6BY This is the C-pap, ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. AirSense 10 AutoSet | ResMed

It's absolutely dead quiet, and I can't stand that fact. My old one was 20 years old, and I think it had a vacuum cleaner motor in it, lol. I was so used to the white noise that old one produces, I can't stand the new one being completely noiseless.

14 years ago, I was diagnosed with Ménière's disease. On day 3 after my hospitalization, I asked my Dr. how long the ringing in my ears was going to last. His response was "Probably the rest of your life". I thought he was joking at first and when I realized he was serious, it was like a Mule Kick. I went from no Tinnitus to permanent Tinnitus over night. Like others have said, I eventually got used to it and only notice it occasionally. It's most annoying when going to bed or if I wake up in the middle of the night. I've been using a pillow speaker for years to help mask it.

Well now that's odd, because mine has no "hissing" whatsoever... It's absolutely dead quiet. You can't even tell it's on when it's running.

Huh. I'm on my 2nd unit because the first one became feeble and failed to deliver the 12psi I require. What pressure is yours set at?

Huh. I'm on my 2nd unit because the first one became feeble and failed to deliver the 12psi I require. What pressure is yours set at?
It's on autoset, 7.6 - 12, but rarely goes as high as 12. My Wife has a Resmed 9, set permanently at 12, and hers doesn't hiss either.

What kind of mask are you using? We use Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow masks.

My wife's CPAP makes a sound I can only describe as "Darth Vader" like. So we sleep in separate rooms.

Maybe I can talk her into a quieter one.

She also has had tinnitus for over 20 years. She is used to it and it doesn't bother her unless I bring it up.

Maybe I will get used to mine, or it may go away after discontinuing the offending meds (Ibuprofen and Naprozen). My tinnitus was likely caused by extreme stress/anxiety and lack of sleep from interstitial cystitis.

For those of you who have had tinnitus for a long time, how long did it take to get used to it?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Mine came on gradually enough to acclimate me. Ventilation and other sounds on the sub. MUCH more ventilation noises on the LHA, especially down in storage areas.

Not good, but I figure it won’t be a problem in 30 years....

Mine came on gradually enough to acclimate me. Ventilation and other sounds on the sub. MUCH more ventilation noises on the LHA, especially down in storage areas.

Mine didn’t come on until I was well past 60 years old. One day it just showed up. I figured it was all those wonderful days working the flight deck on various carriers that set things in motion.

It seems like you guys have adjusted to it. Its hard for me because it just came on suddenly out of the blue. I'll blame it on severe stress/sleep deprivation and/or extended use of Naproxen and Ibuprofen. My E.N.T. doc says it might go away in a few weeks after discontinuing Naproxen. If not I should be able to adapt to it.

Meanwhile, the Xanax prescribed by one of my doctors has has at the very least made it easy to get to sleep. It seems to reduce the amount that the tinnitus bothers me. And it has greatly reduced my interstitial cystitis symptoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
My Wife has a Resmed 9, set permanently at 12, and hers doesn't hiss either.

What kind of mask are you using? We use Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow masks.

Resmed Airfit F20 full face.
My wife's CPAP makes a sound I can only describe as "Darth Vader" like.

Yup. Mine does the same thing.

Why do you say that? Do you expect to be dead, or simply deaf? If "deaf", then I think tinnitus is a nerve problem, and not an ear problem.

My tinnitus has been getting worse and makes it hard to sleep or concentrate. I don't know how I can live like this.

I suspect you’ll eventually get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: Ziptied

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)