Tipping Installers

Tip for cable/dish installation? I can't believe what I'm reading. People actually tip for this? I've got to tell you, with 4 installs in my life of home ownership, the thought hasn't once even crossed my mind. Yikes...the first one, at my previous home, the Charter guys was there all day! And, this next house only had cable in one room, when we moved in and had DirectTV installed in 6 rooms. I wasn't there, all day, but I'm sure that took some time. Tip? Egads.

That's their chosen profession, and they get paid for it, is how I look at it.

I don't tip plumbers, electricians, or any other kind of workers that do work for us either. Am I supposed to? Even if I was, I wouldn't.

I don't think that makes me cheap. The whole tipping thing has always been a huge turnoff for me, anyhow. If I get bad restaurant service, I feel no tip should be given. I've always just carried my own luggage. I don't need their help. I am legendary in my bad tipping at bars. I always felt drinks were expensive enough. Why should I be forking over even more?

Mainly, I guess I don't like feeling as if I owe anybody I don't know, anything, without having a price set beforehand.

I've offered workers a drink before, but almost invariably, it was turned down. So, I've stopped doing that. But, cable installers, I wouldn't even think of that sort of thing, or tipping.

P.S. Boy, there sure are a lot of cable installers on these forums!

Tip for cable/dish installation? I can't believe what I'm reading. People actually tip for this? I've got to tell you, with 4 installs in my life of home ownership, the thought hasn't once even crossed my mind. Yikes...the first one, at my previous home, the Charter guys was there all day! And, this next house only had cable in one room, when we moved in and had DirectTV installed in 6 rooms. I wasn't there, all day, but I'm sure that took some time. Tip? Egads.

I don't tip plumbers, electricians, or any other kind of workers that do work for us either. Am I supposed to? Even if I was, I wouldn't.

I don't think that makes me cheap. The whole tipping thing has always been a huge turnoff for me, anyhow. If I get bad restaurant service, I feel no tip should be given. I've always just carried my own luggage. I don't need their help. I am legendary in my bad tipping at bars. I always felt drinks were expensive enough. Why should I be forking over even more?

Mainly, I guess I don't like feeling as if I owe anybody I don't know, anything, without having a price set beforehand.

I've offered workers a drink before, but almost invariably, it was turned down. So, I've stopped doing that. But, cable installers, I wouldn't even think of that sort of thing, or tipping.

Bottom line is I know my job well, and I know how to make customers happy. I also know to keep my cards close to my chest, too. Sooo, if I am doing a job as to the best of my abilities, I do not owe the customer, a run to another room because they ask, or backfeed another room so there are 2 tv 2s, or if theres 2 dvrs, how to watch both dvrs at both tv2's, remotes, call corporate. Wallfishes, uhhhhhh, no. Incorporate the OTA? Not on the workorder. And why did I leave the cable running over your clothes and furniture, maybe because YOU didn 't move anything. Thanks for the coke pops, and yes, your remote is on limited so no TC 30!!!

I installed dish originally at my house. When it was time to upgrade, the installer was impressed with the install, & more impressed when I told him I had done it.

He gave me about 20 rubber gromets that go over the end of the coax outside, & left me about 200' of RG-6 incase I needed to move something. I tipped him $20 & gave him a can of pop.

The last upgrade I had in Aug. I had an upgrade scheduled, all that was needed was to install the 2nd dish & a dp34, all the lines were already in place, the work order called for a dp34 & a dpp44? I only needed a dp34.

Since I had already run all the lines, labeled them, & cleared everything out of the way she gave me the dpp44. I also asked her if she had another dp seperator & she gave me one.

The first 722 she tried to install didn't work & when she got the 2'nd 722 she asked if I wanted the remotes from the one that didn't work, I am hard on remotes so I took them.

I also tipped her $20, maybe that was not enough, she gave me the dpp44, a dp seperator, & 2 extra remotes.

Yes there are many current and former installers on here.

Your kind was always easy for me to spot because it showed glaringly in the customers demeanor, basicly tight in the pocket so tight on the personality thusly I would be tight on the extra work. It's not about the tip, they are apreciated definitely, its the other things that I listed that we expect and should be given. Oh and I forgot to add to the list, just as you dont want to see some people in their underwear or less the same goes for us so unless your Pam Anderson please be sure to have on the apropriate atire when your expecting a service call.

I also tipped her $20, maybe that was not enough, she gave me the dpp44, a dp seperator, & 2 extra remotes.
It's possible that she was able to modify her work order to allow her to give you the switch, I know when I was working for dish that the switches were on short order so it had to be a do or die situation to give one to a customer. Remotes are eaiser for installers to give out but she is responsible for them unless she had extra's.

Remember this, A subcontractor (me) gets paid a certain amount. I will share what I get paid, 1 room new connect is $85 a Trouble or service call is $45. Now, Out of that keep in mind gas is $3.00 a gallon as of November 25 2007. I have to pay for gas to the house, Cable, connectors, ground block, diplexers, barrels, wall plates, tie straps, bolts, screw clips, caulk, pitch patch, pole, cement, and anything else that goes on the house. What ever comes out of my truck besides the lnb's receivers and dish's I pay out of my pocket. Not to mention time on the job and my tool expenses.
Now, There are subcontractors and "In House" techs. A In house tech works for dish and makes $10.00 to $12.00 per hour but has no expenses to go with it.
So, SHould or how much should you tip?, I don't know, I gave up on tips a long timeago. I know what I get paid for on the work order, If the customer askes me to do extra work like back feeds or wall fish's I will discuss a dollar amount then. I know that a tip would make my day as I have not seen a tip in a long while....hmmm....ever since George Bush was elected......
$20.00 would be nice.....

What would be an appropriate amount to tip an installer? My 722 was installed today. It was a simple reciever swap out, that took about 45 minutes. I gave the guy twenty dollars, and he seemed surprised that I offered him anything. Was that enough?
20 bucks I would have been most appreciative. 90% of customers do not tip. However about half offer drinks, food etc. That I appreciate too. Heck a good cup of coffee in the AM or a bottle of water on a hot day is ok by me. If I get a gratuity that's frosting on the cake.
It's difficult to tip if you don't know by what to measure the tip
When you get down to brass tacks ANY tip is appropriate and appreciated. The customer decides.

My feeling is if the installer goes above and beyond the call of duty you should tip him. If he simply does his job, then no need to tip. He is already getting paid to do what he did.
So are wait staff and bartenders. You don't tip them either? What about the guy who collects the trash or your postall carrier. No tip at Christmas?
Remind me to steer clear of your house. Jeez.

I've got lots of tips, but it depends on the market. Vegas was good for tips but Phoenix isn't. If your gonna tip, tip more than you would the pizza guy but you don't have to tip as much as the stripper.
Aw heck ,Vegas runs on the gratuity. I have a friend who is just a regular guy .But with the perks he gets in Vegas ,you'd think he was a high roller. Well it's his penchant for tipping that gets him the goodies.
This guy prefolds his tip bills before he leaves his house the night before his flight.

The most interesting atempt at a tip I ever had was a nice old Yugoslavian gentleman who gave me wine and other stuff and then did his best to not only set me up with his grand daughter but tried to convince me that she would be a good woman to marry when she came over wich going by the picture she was actually a traffic stopper in the nice way but I had to decline graciously and explain that I had a good woman already.
I had that set up thing hapen a couple of tmes too. Once I was doing a job for a very nice Vietnamese family. This guy served in the S>Vietnamese Army alkong side our boys over there. Anyway bith his daugheters were there. Both knockouts. The younger one about 25 or so was very friendly . She dropped some not so subtle hints. And so did her father. He liked the job so much they asked me to join them for dinner. I politley declined as I had a two hr drive back home and it was about 6pm. Well I get into my truck and sit on a piece of paper. It was the daughter's phone number.
Anyway I guess the most unusual tip was a big pile of veggies from the customer's garden. Tomatoes , green peppers , carrots and spring onions. He just hands me this big shopping bag full of the stuff. I ate two of the carrots on the way home.

Nerver tip. Give the gift if time . . .

Instead the best thing you can do is give the gift of Time.

I always have all wires pre run so all he has to do is come and put the Dish up and put ends on the cables.

I also offer to un box all receivers and plug in the AV cables leaving the AC unplugged so the installer can come and inspect my work.

I also have the remote ready with batteries in and the Serial number and Access card number lable pealed off so he can call it in.

Saving them time allows them extra hours in the day to eat lunch and maybe get to an other install or get home early to see the wife and kids.

I also offer Cold Drinks and lunch if he has to work through the lunch hour due the problems with receivers (not his fault).

Key word is OFFER to unbox and drinks, some wont take you up on it.

I have done this for the last 3 installers (I moved and I switched between Dish and direct).
I was getting ready to ask, do you change satcos as often as you change your socks?..
Anyway, this stuff you do . as long as the customer doesn't get in my way., I will allow them to do if they wish. I would most defintely consider that a gratuity and they would be thanked more than once.

Aw heck ,Vegas runs on the gratuity. I have a friend who is just a regular guy .But with the perks he gets in Vegas ,you'd think he was a high roller. Well it's his penchant for tipping that gets him the goodies.
This guy prefolds his tip bills before he leaves his house the night before his flight.

$20 will get you everywhere in Vegas. I've always like tipping, especially in a restaurant, because you get to determine the market value of the server instead of having that value fixed into the food prices. I would hate for an establishment to have a fixed salary for wait staff because you would end up tipping the waitress through higher priced menu items. What happens if the service sucks? You have to then try to get an adjustment on your meal price or just take it.

I tip the dealers when I gamble, and you get all sorts of good rewards out of it. I've tipped a cabbie real good once and he gave me a pair of tix he had to Blue Man Group (he seen them already several times). Had a customer give me four buffet comps at Mandalay Bay and told me to go on Sunday because it's steak and lobster on Sundays. Took my wife and gave the other pair to a friend who had no money for anniversary plans. Probably worth about $25 a piece.

Phoenix is different though. Then again, all the free bottles of partially-frozen water are worth it too. I could drink a lake's worth of water in a week here. Expected value of the water is easily $30+ a week.

The best tip I ever got was a 1979 Mazda RX7.... It was in his field and he said if I could get it out I could have it free. I came back 2 day's later with a U-Haul trailor and pulled it out. Took it home and washed it up, changed the fluids and started it up. It smoked to high hell for about 10 minutes then the exhaust got clear. After I got the title finished I sold it for $900. Not bad!!...... The second best tip was a bag of oranges I guy gave me from his tree's in Sun City.........mmmmmmmmmm.....Very sweet!!........

I find when customers want to help they more often then not get in my way.

Thanks for offering to help me carry my ladder, but it is easier to do it by myself.

Also, stay the hell off my ladder. I don't need to worry about you falling and breaking your neck.

One more thing, if I take the rcvr into you're house when I'm doing an upgrade, don't piss with and and have the parts all over the floor. Now I have to look for the remote that your dog carried to the next room.

I've offer installers a cup of coffee/tea/water/soda - a non-alcoholic beverage of some kind and a fresh sandwich of somekind that I'll gladly make for them, but I've never thought to tip cash. Thanks for starting this thread. I'll give 'em some cash for a job well-done from now on (and still offer a beverage of somekind).
as far as I am concerned the meal is enough. I have had customers make luch ask me to go to lunch./ dinner. Just last week an elderly couple asked me if they could treat me to lunch.
Now please do not be offended by this. As a rule I do not get personal with customers. I have had customers ask me if I would join them for dinner/lunch. Asked me if I'd like to play a round of golf on them at their club and invited me to parties they were having at their homes.
I politely decline all offers of this kind.
I think it is important to seperate business and personal. it is an integrity thing.

I think it is important to seperate business and personal. it is an integrity thing.

I can see what you're saying, but at the same time, I've built up referrals just off of people insisting to their friends that they call their "friend" who does satellite. This works real good in the Del Webb communities as lots of elderly are worried about getting scammed at every turn. A good "call my friend" referral can keep you busy in the same neighborhood for a week straight.

Me too, I might of seen you at RS&I I got the 2007 blue Dodge Dakota with the Directv logo and toll free numbers. I probally even know you

Yeah, think I've seen you there. I'm either in a 93 GMC Suburban or a 98 Nissan Frontier. I'm always wearing a DishNet polo or grey DishNet t-shirt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts