Tivo comparison to Dish 722 is inaccurate

tdillon

Loster then I Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 9, 2004
I was considering getting the TiVo HD XL DVR to replace my current service from Dish Network with just over the air digital. I stumbled upon their comparison chart where they attempt to prove that their equipment is better than other hardware available. https://www3.tivo.com/buytivo/tivodvrmicrosites/tivo_hdxl.html#comparison shows a comparison of TiVo's DVR vs. Dish's 722.

They leave out some key features of the 722, and outright lie about the ability to increase storage capacity on the 722.

They list the TiVo HD XL DVR as having dual tuners, but this is only true if you get multiple CableCARD decoders from your cable company. The Dish 722 has THREE tuners.

The TiVo box can only output the same signal to multiple TV's. The 722 can output two different signals simultaneously.

If you upgrade the TiVo box, you can record 2 channels at once, the 722 can record 3 channels at once, while feeding entirely different streams out to the 2 connected TV's.

They have to add an adapter to the TiVo box to make it support wireless. They say No wireless support for the 722, yet if you add an adapter to it, it is also wireless capable. They neglect to mention the built-in HomeNet networking capability of the 722 which will send network traffic over your power lines without additional wiring, although you do need one more adapter to connect to your home network.

After reading TiVo's feature set, I am less inclined to go that route. I like my Dish DVR's.

it's rare to find any company that HONESTLY compares themselves with their competition.. I've found a few in software development.. but damn is it rare.. leave out details and you always look better.. :)

Yes, I agree. I have both Tivo and 722, as well, and I always start by saying that Tivo is a good product but the 722 is superior in many ways that are too numerous to type here, although I did type a detailed list in another post. Tivo's broadband download options are better than Dish's, however.

Now, just think how the 922 Duo Sling loaded will blow away a Tivo by comparison when it is released, even if it is buggy at first.

I was considering getting the TiVo HD XL DVR to replace my current service from Dish Network with just over the air digital. I stumbled upon their comparison chart where they attempt to prove that their equipment is better than other hardware available. https://www3.tivo.com/buytivo/tivodvrmicrosites/tivo_hdxl.html#comparison shows a comparison of TiVo's DVR vs. Dish's 722.

They leave out some key features of the 722, and outright lie about the ability to increase storage capacity on the 722.

They list the TiVo HD XL DVR as having dual tuners, but this is only true if you get multiple CableCARD decoders from your cable company. The Dish 722 has THREE tuners.

The TiVo box can only output the same signal to multiple TV's. The 722 can output two different signals simultaneously.

If you upgrade the TiVo box, you can record 2 channels at once, the 722 can record 3 channels at once, while feeding entirely different streams out to the 2 connected TV's.

They have to add an adapter to the TiVo box to make it support wireless. They say No wireless support for the 722, yet if you add an adapter to it, it is also wireless capable. They neglect to mention the built-in HomeNet networking capability of the 722 which will send network traffic over your power lines without additional wiring, although you do need one more adapter to connect to your home network.

After reading TiVo's feature set, I am less inclined to go that route. I like my Dish DVR's.

It's an MCard (1 card) that you get from your cable company. If your cable company doesn't offer those, as seen with Verizon Fios in some areas, then you get 2 cards. Also, with digital OTA, which you started discussing as your intent, TiVo doesn't require cards. TiVo is a product solution for OTA, Fios and cable. Dish's DVRs are for Dish's service.

Seems like your post is a more a TiVo bash and yes Tivo's website link is inacurrate.

I like my tivohd, but the HR series and the Vip series are great dvr's. NONE of them are perfect, if you could mesh them together it'd be nice.

I just like the fact I can send Amazon VOD and Netflix watch now to the tivo.

TiVo is a product solution for OTA, Fios and cable. Dish's DVRs are for Dish's service and OTA.
Seems like your post is a more a TiVo bash and yes Tivo's website link is inacurrate.
corrected

as it is, I don't see this as a bashing post. The inaccuracies in the comparison chart are valid. It's not a bash when you point out someone actual faults.

No the asterisk says
Most ridiculous comparison is "Add recording capacity later" They claim the 722 can't do it. That is blatantly false.

These are also false:

Not kid safe (my 722 has more rating security than my TiVo)

Not wireless (Ethernet bridge is wireless)

No online scheduling (sling guide)

No mobile scheduling (ditto)

No transfer of shows between DVRs (I believe you can move shows with the external hard drive - any other ways?)

TiVo is a product solution for OTA, Fios and cable. Dish's DVRs are for Dish's service and OTA.
Seems like your post is a more a TiVo bash and yes Tivo's website link is inacurrate.corrected

as it is, I don't see this as a bashing post. The inaccuracies in the comparison chart are valid. It's not a bash when you point out someone actual faults.

your point is valid

On the point of using the 722 for OTA (and what I meant as a means of OTA without necessarily tied back to Dish programming because then the Dish service stipulation trumps), I called Dish sales and inquired about purchasing the 722 as a nonexisting programming services subscriber. I was told that - I would need to subscribe to Dish service with an account or have one created. With atleast Family pack. However, I spoke to another CSR who said I could cancel (any programming from Dish) and keep the 722 used for OTA, and still get local channel guide information and I'm assuming timers and basics for DVR.

Among the costs included were $549 outright, but installation of a satellite dish was required, but free of cost. No commitment or activation fee. However a $5 2nd TV fee that would be waived if connected to a phone line, and a $5.98 DVR fee. But that then would require a $5 Access Fee (for no basic programming)...right?. 3 different CSR responses and I didn't want to call again (as it was just for an exercise of inquiry what's out there). As far as it being an OTA solution, it's more an OTA solution in conjuction if one has Dish Network programming I take it- am I wrong?

your point is valid

On the point of using the 722 for OTA (and what I meant as a means of OTA without necessarily tied back to Dish programming because then the Dish service stipulation trumps), I called Dish sales and inquired about purchasing the 722 as a nonexisting programming services subscriber
... As far as it being an OTA solution, it's more an OTA solution in conjuction if one has Dish Network programming I take it- am I wrong?

Dish also make a DTV Pal DVR. Specifically designed for OTA DRV recording.

I also wonder, really, how many use a Tivo solely for OTA programming, too.

Dish also make a DTV Pal DVR. Specifically designed for OTA DRV recording.

I also wonder, really, how many use a Tivo solely for OTA programming, too.

I don't know but I think OTA only population (that has money to spend too) might exist for city dwellers, esp. those who spend a lot on rent/housing and then look for ways to save. Also, cable tends to be pricier in the cities, and satellite might not be an option.

Though I know ppl who find roommates , then amongst each other get a triple play with cable or phone co., and then split the cost among each other.

I lived in Baltimore and got Baltimore digital, and some DC digital with an rabbit ear antenna I'd think it work well in Philadephia, New York, Boston, Chicago as well too. Chicago has a number of stations, even some TV Land like stations on OTA. Though OTA only is still not a great solution if you need a lot of live sports.

I don't think Tivo's business model is viable anymore, and servicing OTA only customers isn't a huge number. Tivo needs cable and Fios customers. A more apt comparison would be Fios's DVR to TiVo's. While TiVo's maybe better in some ways, Fios's tends to be cheaper and the MRV works on standard boxes, which also have On Demand. And cable cards aren't so easy. In the sense, Verizon requires a truck call to install them, and charges quite a bit monthly for them.

I like my tivohd, but the HR series and the Vip series are great dvr's. NONE of them are perfect, if you could mesh them together it'd be nice.

I agree, with the latest bout of lawsuits from TIVO, I just wish chuckles would go ahead and purchase TIVO, and integrate a few of these things into the 922. What a killer box it would be with streaming netflix added! They would then also get the experience of some of the TIVO engineers in creating the cable version of the 922 that they announced at CES.

I was thinking about getting Tivo for OTA but I'm not sure anymore.
I thought about it in the past, but the monthly fee was always a killer. For that, I might as well get cable/sat.
The DTV Pal DVR on the other hand has no fee, so I am planning to order one soon, and use it for all my OTA DVR'ing needs.

I have used just about every HD DVR on the market and I agree. As much as we loved the 622, the Tivo HD is a close 2nd and, bundled with FiOS TV, it's a hard combination to beat. Additionally, my single-tuner Sony HD DVR is pretty high on my list...not because it is feature-laden like the 622/Tivo HD, but because it comes with free TV Guide On Screen. Even the crappier cable DVRs offer one or two features that are better than the 622/Tivo HD.

I thought about it in the past, but the monthly fee was always a killer. For that, I might as well get cable/sat.

+1. Before my family first got satellite, I looked into Tivo. But I didn't want to drop $200+ on a box AND $12.95/month for the service. When Dish offered one for no upfront cost, and only $6/month, we went for it.