Tivo/Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Moseskatz

Original poster
Recently, I resubscribed to Direct TV and started to have problems with Tivo IR cables changing channels on my Tv. Lets say I wanted to record a certain movie on channel 549,and instead of that I get Channel 5.I tried to move the cables closer, further and sometimes I might be lucky. I even got new IR cables. Any solutions??

Theres an IR emitter you can buy at radio shack type places that sticks right onto the IR window on the directv receiver.

Next you need to tape over the IR window entirely with tape to prevent any other IR signals from disrupting the channel change. This is called "making a fort". Google that along with 'tivo' and you'll see plenty of examples.

Next thing you need to deal with is the possibility of IR signals bouncing off a wall and through a vent slot, since some receivers expose the IR receiver internally.

Lastly, you can change the speed of the channel change on the tivo. Play with that until you get 100% reliable channel changes.

The problem you're having is either the IR signal not reliably getting to the IR receiver on the directv receiver, or another IR signal interrupting it.

I did have one directv SD receiver about 4-4.5 years ago that I could absolutely not make channel changes via IR reliably. It'd miss about one out of twenty.

One receiver I had a long time back (I think it was a sony B series) required that I use the stick-on emitter, tape it up, and box off the sides near the vent holes to prevent IR intrusion before it'd get reliable.

This is what the stick-on emitter looks like:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/STICK-IR-EMITTER-SMARTHOME-8170S/dp/B0007N72WY"]Amazon.com: STICK-ON IR EMITTER BY SMARTHOME ( 8170S ): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ys-E1tnWL.@@AMEPARAM@@31ys-E1tnWL[/ame]

You'll find more info here:
http://www.tivofaq.com/index.html?http://www.tivofaq.com/Bugs.html

Hi cfb! Many thanks for your reply.I tried to order Smarthome(8170S) but it will not be available until the beginning of August.You mentioned sony B series,whats that? In the meantime,I moved the emitters just slightly,big improvement, but not perfect. Will keep you posted.

Radio Shack probably has a stick-on IR emitter with the right plug. Of course, ratshack isnt what they used to be, so you'd have to check it out. Bring your old emitter so they can match the plug to what they (hopefully) have.

Then wrap it over with some foil and some tape. Trick is to let the tivo signal in as directly as possible and absolutely nothing else.

The Sony B series was circa 1995, so I doubt you have one of those. IIRC it was a B-50 model. I still had a pair of those sticking around in late 1999 when I got my first tivo's.

Does your directv receiver have a "low speed data port" that looks sort of like a telephone connection, square, four pin? If so you might be able to connect the plug on the tivo to that low speed data port with a specific cable that goes from the tivo's IR port to that low speed data port. If you can get that going, its 100% accurate from my experience.

Not sure if its the model you have, but the older tivo's with the big glass 'eye' in the middle also send IR out of the eye. As IR signals go, like the original tivo remotes its incredibly strong. Bounces off all sorts of stuff and will penetrate cheap masking tape.

Not to the telephone input, but to the "low speed data port" (should be labeled as such), which may use what looks like a telephone style plug, or it may be a 9 pin "D" connector if its a really old receiver.

You would see them here as the "home control cable" and the "serial cable".

Some directv receivers, especially newer ones, dont have these connections and require the IR blaster that you're using now.

Hi cfb!! By chance I discovered that there is a Smarthome retail store,40 minutes by car.I got myself a smarthome IR blaster(8170S). It definitely worked much better than my other IR cables.However,not 100 %. I had a Directv technician to swing by, and after a while he mentioned that its possible that there is a compatibility problem between Tivo and HDR 23N -700 receiver, and suggested that we get a standard receiver.Can you suggest a good Directv receiver?Since I do not have blueray dvd recorder, this makes sense. Many Thanks!!, moses

Did you make the "fort" around the ir receiver pr tinker with the IR timing?

Devices controlling each other by IR isnt an exact science although by playing with the timing and building a fort around the receiver i've almost always gotten it to work 99.5% of the time.

Basically all you want to do is completely block off the IR receiver of the satellite box from any possible IR interference.

Either put a big piece of tape (or tape some cardboard) over the front where the IR receiver is and where you've stuck the IR button. Or put a big box over the receiver to completely isolate it, but keep the top of the box open a bit to let the warm air out.

Depends on what model tivo you have and what model receiver. I dont think its a usb cable but a serial/low speed data cable. My old series 1's could connect to most directv receivers made before 2003, but stopped working with them after that when directv updated the receiver firmware.

If your tivo has a 'serial control' cable connection on the back and the receiver has a 'serial control' or 'low speed data' port, you could try one of these:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do#A00009

I have the Pioneer Tivo Series 2 DVR and it seems to work fine with my Directv HD box. I haven't notice ANY channel change errors. I'm using the slock IR cable that came with the Tivo. I don't like the "hillbilly" look of the IR transmitters taped to the front of my DTV box, but it is what it is.

What I really don't like about this hookup is that I have to leave my DTV on 24/7 since the Tivo will not turn the DTV DVR on or off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)