TiVo-powered high-def DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I imagine they will have that kernel so locked down it will be worthless. Preventing offloading of programing for backup is probably the issue delaying this. With the HR10 tivo you could replace the kernel, network the machine and unscramble the HD recordings for backup on PC etc. IF D* hasnt enabled this on thier HR2x series I doubt they will let Tivo do it either this time.

I would love to have one again, but it is going to be a while.

I will return to DirecTV as a paying customer when and if they get the mpeg4 TiVo powered units.

In my opinion the current DVR unit is a cheaply made and glitches often,the programmers have done well patching up the problems but they can't cover up the fact it's totally underpowered for the job of a HD DVR unit.

I will return to DirecTV as a paying customer when and if they get the mpeg4 TiVo powered units.

In my opinion the current DVR unit is a cheaply made and glitches often,the programmers have done well patching up the problems but they can't cover up the fact it's totally underpowered for the job of a HD DVR unit.

I dont have any problems here with it glitching, and I have 3 HR boxes. It also works fine, I dont get where you say its underpowered for the job of an HD DVR unit when the unit processes 1080P full resolution signals just fine and has all the features a tivo would. Maybe you had a bad box?

Over the years I've had an H10-250 (one of the first adopters) a regular Tivo and currently an HR20-700.

The Tivo based units were good but so is the HR20. Mine's almost 100% trouble free and I'd probably opt to keep it over a Tivo baseed MPEG 4 unit.

Some people just prefer the Tivo interface, it doesn't matter that much to me.

You do realize the HR series receivers use the same chipsets the TIVO series 3 HD TIVOs do. And the TIVO HD box will be the same specs as whatever HR box is offered (most speculation is it will be the same box) when it comes out.

You do realize the HR series receivers use the same chipsets the TIVO series 3 HD TIVOs do. And the TIVO HD box will be the same specs as whatever HR box is offered (most speculation is it will be the same box) when it comes out.

And how do you know this? Can you provide us with a link to this information?

I have a Tivo S3 with local channels only and 3 HR22-100. Only thing I miss from the Tivo is the dual buffer and the MRV. Both DVRs are very slow and sometimes the Tivo can be even slower. I like the HR22 interface and some features like the blue key and transparent menus. I never used some Tivo features like "suggestions" , for example.

The base unit need a larger hard drive,needs dual live buffers,need to fix Brrrriipp issues,Game lounge normally causes unit to reboot and replacement unit did the same thing,I could go on and on about menus and options.

My R10 TiVo unit although it never did HD was a far more stable and reliable product.:)

TiVo's last announcement said it would be sometime in 2010. The "informed speculation" is that it will run on a new hardware platform that will also run DirecTV's own software, so presumably it will have a more powerful CPU. Since the TiVo will cost more than the DirecTV box (both DirecTV's and TiVo's announcements confirm this) , the question is how many people will pay the extra?

I have a Tivo S3 with local channels only and 3 HR22-100. Only thing I miss from the Tivo is the dual buffer and the MRV. Both DVRs are very slow and sometimes the Tivo can be even slower. I like the HR22 interface and some features like the blue key and transparent menus. I never used some Tivo features like "suggestions" , for example.

Both MRV and DLB are in testing now.

Both MRV and DLB are in testing now.

And they look great, according to the CE members. In my opinion TiVo just missed the boat. 2010 is a long time and the HRxx is getting better and better. As soon as the NR comes and we can all have DLB and MRV less and less people will be talking about TiVo.

The reason I speculate why all the delays, is that no body wants to pay TiVo for using TiVo's interface. Why? They can do with their own DVRs just fine. The only reason is TiVo can sue them for infringement if they do not sign agreement with TiVo.

But the TiVo v. E* lawsuit has been going nowhere. Everyone is watching this case, if the judge does not order E* to shut off the DVRs, others will have less reasons to work with TiVo and pay TiVo.

D* is watching, I think.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts