Tivo Question

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I just hooked up a Tivo Premiere box & the cablecard for it will come this upcoming Thursday. My question is this,once the cablecard is installed,besides allowing me to watch encrypted digital programing,will it allow for the correct digital cable channel line up to show up in the guide? For some reason,which is not a problem limited to Tivo,but faulty incomplete line up information given out by my cable company(first Charter,then Cobridge,& now Knology. The same line up from Charter originally has not changed since going through 2 subsequent cable companies) to other groups like Titan TV,Zap2It,etc.

Yes, once the cable card is installed the TiVo will be able to load the cable company's channel map and the channels will be all in the correct place.

The main reason there is a problem with digital channels is that a cable company will put multiple channels in one channel. So you could have 51.1 MTV 51.2 CNN 51.3 HGTV, etc., with channel numbers of lets say 105 113 and 102. Then they move them around as needed. Without a cable card it is pretty hard to keep up with the channel mappings.

The guide info will only be as good as what is supplied by the cable company.

You are also aware that you will not receive any on-demand programming.

Final thought. Check the actual channels received before letting the tech go. It took me 5 truck rolls before everything was in place and correct. I think they are getting better, but the techs didn't know the first thing about cablecards a year ago when mine was installed. They need to properly enter the serial umbers for the cablecard, the TIVO itself and some other number I forget in order to get it all working. One of my problems was a rash of faulty tuning adapters coupled with a weak signal causing many channels to drop out.

The TIVO Premiere seems to have a somewhat less sensitive tuner than the Motorola, or Samsung boxes. I would totally lose channels on the TIVO that were just starting to macroblock on the Samsung DVR.

The guide info will only be as good as what is supplied by the cable company.

You are also aware that you will not receive any on-demand programming.

Final thought. Check the actual channels received before letting the tech go. It took me 5 truck rolls before everything was in place and correct. I think they are getting better, but the techs didn't know the first thing about cablecards a year ago when mine was installed. They need to properly enter the serial umbers for the cablecard, the TIVO itself and some other number I forget in order to get it all working. One of my problems was a rash of faulty tuning adapters coupled with a weak signal causing many channels to drop out.

The TIVO Premiere seems to have a somewhat less sensitive tuner than the Motorola, or Samsung boxes. I would totally lose channels on the TIVO that were just starting to macroblock on the Samsung DVR.

Thanks for the info. The local cable company here is not advanced enough to use switch digital tuning adapters(we still have analog basic cable channels in addition to digital SD & HD channels). The cable set up is my "wannabe spare tire" if I ever have problems viewing D*.

Well,I got my CableCARD installed & guess what? Well back to the office to get them to send out another one,or two,or three. I'm currently stuck at the "immortal" 50% of the "Please wait...Acquiring Channel Information."

The premiere also requires an M-Card. Not an S-card like the older TiVos that had multiple cablecard slots. They brought out the wrong card the first time they came out and had to run back to the office to get an M-Card.

The premiere also requires an M-Card. Not an S-card like the older TiVos that had multiple cablecard slots. They brought out the wrong card the first time they came out and had to run back to the office to get an M-Card.

I have an M-Card. The Knology office is just down the street from me,I'll drop in in the AM.

I didn't do anything,but all of a sudden all of my channels are up & the M-card is working fine.

Your touble ticket probably just got handled by someone in the central office that knew what they were doing and updated the authorization database with your TiVo's information.

Your touble ticket probably just got handled by someone in the central office that knew what they were doing and updated the authorization database with your TiVo's information.

I don't know what happened. When I said that I did nothing,that also means that I did not contact anybody at Knology about the CableCARD problems(unless maybe the tech who installed the card did something later). I went to sleep last night saying "this is what I'm going to do in the morning," & then I woke up this morning,checked the TiVo & everything was there. But you know what? It's working,I'm getting all of the channels I'm supposed to get,& I'm happy. That's all that counts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)