Tivo UI

It's a legit question. Almost every thread on here is related to poor software development. Should Dish just throw in the towel and hand it over to someone who knows what they're doing?

What makes you think the Tivo software folks know anything about satellite receivers?

What makes you think the Tivo software folks know anything about satellite receivers?
There was a Tivo DVR for Directv many years ago. It was just an HR22 with Tivo software on it. Basically, Directv hardware with Tivo software.
Would you say all the recent problems with Dish receivers are software or hardware based?
I'm only talking about Tivo software, not hardware.
The question is who would screw up the software the least, Dish or Tivo?

I have Dish and TiVo. The TiVo UI that is the lastest is much worse than Dish, but TiVo lets you stay on the old UI, if you do not like the new UI (called Hydra). In my opinion the Dish UI is much easier to use than even the old TiVo UI.
TiVo has as many software problems as Dish. Here is a link to the TiVo forum. Read about the TiVo UI problems and you will see what I mean.
TiVoCommunity Forum

People just like to complain.

Personally I like Tivo Experience 3, but I also have Tivo Experience 4 (Hydra) on one of my Tivo's too. It works the same, just a different look. People just want to complain because some of the niche features of TE3 weren't ported over to TE4, like the Live Guide (which I hate for everyday use, but is useful on the Tivo tablet app and the ability to transfer videos to the Tivo via pytivo and tivo desktop.

I still find Tivo better than the CUI on the H3, but that is my opinion, others obviously have other preferences. In the end they all work well, but they are dependent on the data fed to them, which at times is not as good as it used to be.

Reactions: ncted and ChadT41
Would Dish service be better if the current UI were replaced with the Tivo experience while keeping Dish hardware and features like PTAT?

In my experience in dealing with software development, starting over or bringing in a vendor is almost never the better choice compared to figuring out how to fix your own stuff. Dish already "started over" with the CUI. Bringing in a vendor such as Tivo now would not make things any better unless they just want to get out of the software game altogether, which seems like a bad choice in today's world.

That said, I think Dish had a opportunity to be great partners with Tivo back when they lost the patent dispute case, and they squandered it. Of course, Dish also lost an opportunity to be great partners with Tivo back when they stole the IP in the first place, so it should not be surprising.

Reactions: joegr
There was a Tivo DVR for Directv many years ago. It was just an HR22 with Tivo software on it. Basically, Directv hardware with Tivo software.
Would you say all the recent problems with Dish receivers are software or hardware based?
I'm only talking about Tivo software, not hardware.
The question is who would screw up the software the least, Dish or Tivo?

There's a lot of software involved in getting the picture from the satellite to the TV.

I'm haven't even found the CUI to be a problem on my Hopper2's once I learned my way around the new layout.

You have just the single H2?

The slowness is tolerable, but grating, considering my monthly bill and the fact it used to be faster AND have more features.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You have just the single H2?

The slowness is tolerable, but grating, considering my monthly bill and the fact it used to be faster AND have more features.

I have two H2's, sometimes used to together and sometimes apart since one is in our NY cottage and the other in our fulltime motorhome. With the two paired, the current DVR issue when accessing the other H2 is very annoying, but I understand a fix is in the works. In the meantime, I can use DishAnywhere on my FireTVstick as a work around. I agree the old UI and feature set was better for the most part, but since that's not an option I don't let it bother me. The H3 has little to offer me over the H2's, and since it's difficult to get two H3's on one account anyway, I see nothing to be gained by upgrading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts