TIVO vs E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got an email requesting that we remove links.

The request is denied since this is the internet and linking to stuff is what the internet is about.

So there you have it.

Thank you. Sharing is what the internet is all about and he/she should take pleasure when others want to see the information they dug up and put out there for public review.

If cost or bandwidth is a problem , Googles "Sites will host a fairly robust site at zero cost , index the site to obtain more hits, and provide free technical support if that's what you want.

I have a solution, use a login just like most of the sites, if you want to see some valuable info, give up some of your own personal info in exchange, even purchase a few items first.

As long as a site is in the public view, I don't think one can deny a link to it. I have actually plugged this site a few times on this site and in this very thread.

How about this, next time if I decide to link a doc in it, I will link the home site only, and describe how to navigate the site and find the correct document?

I do think the public should see these documents and from the looks of things the person who has been putting these things online h as worked hard at doing it.
I think we all can agree that these docs should be seen. Why in heck don't our courts make them available for free?

The fact remains that our courts are charging considerable sums for these documents, and Hard Times Mainer has apparently paid the dratted fees on our behalf. He was probably hoping to recoup part (if not all) of his investment with the sale of some ancillary merchandise. If you (Scott) rehost the pdfs here, that will cut down on his Internet fees if he's paying by the byte. But that won't help him sell T-shirts and recoup the major part of his investment by buying those docs in the first place.

Having read and enjoyed the cogent arguments in Dish's response, I'm really happy Mainer has done what he did and I feel a bit like a mooch. Maybe I'll go buy a refrigerator magnet or something. ;)

Hes not really making anything on the shirts and stuff. I have a Cafepress account and can tell you exactly how much things cost and how much hes making.

If hes crying about costs of getting the documents then he shouldn't have went out and got them and posted them. He knew what he was getting into there. I suggest Google Ads to recover some of the costs.

The email to me was about his bandwidth costs and again I have no problem giving him a FTP account and letting him host his documents here at no cost.

At least stop posting links straight to the .pdf's and bypassing his home page. That's rude.

How so? You think people here are just so stupid they do not know how to simply backspace the address to access his home page?

Anyhow I have made my suggestion, and have plugged his site much more than he would like to see apparently:)

At least stop posting links straight to the .pdf's and bypassing his home page. That's rude.
If this mainer guy was smart, he'd block direct linking from satelliteguys, but based on his web design skills, which he comments on asking people not to criticize :)D), I suspect he can't do that.

If this mainer guy was smart, he'd block direct linking from satelliteguys, but based on his web design skills, which he comments on asking people not to criticize :)D), I suspect he can't do that.

LOL. True enough.

And the way I realized it was the same guy, was by doing just what was suggested -- loading the root site to see what it was.

It would be equally funny and bizarre to give the guy an ftp account, yet he is permanently banned from posting on the site. :)

No request to have satellite guys remove links was made

I got an email requesting that we remove links to Mainers Law Library --- Tivo v Echostar GO TIVO! which is a site called Mainers Law Library. The request was made because (as the email said we are "a Dish Network site") and the fact that the person running the site is out of work and we are eating his bandwidth.
I think I started this mess with some PMs, not an email and not an email to you. It is clear that the message has been mangled in the process.

I asked posters who posted direct links to docs on Mainer's site to link to the site instead. As justification I pointed out that Mainer paid for those docs, and pays to host them on his site. Those links bypass his button where a visitor can volunteer to contribute. It just seems fair and right to me not go around that if you have the option and I left it at the poster's individual discretion as to whether or not they wished to change their posts. Some changed their posts, others did not. In one case a request to do this in the open forum was removed and I was told that links to Mainer's site are not allowed. Thus I simply PM'd and asked politely, leaving it to the poster's discretion what to do.

I DID NOT ask you or the website to become involved in any way. I did not ask for an email to be sent to you, and I am not requesting you or your mods change or take down any posts. Any such request is beyond what was asked.

The request is denied since this is the internet and linking to stuff is what the internet is about. If the person is having trouble with his hosting of the documents, he can contact me and I will give him space here on our server to host the files. (And no I dont care if hes pro Dish or pro Tivo.) I do think the public should see these documents and from the looks of things the person who has been putting these things online h as worked hard at doing it.
No request was made for this to my knowledge, it was an over-reaction on someone's part to my PMs, to the best of my knowledge. Your poster's should be allowed to link, if requested to modify the link, it should be their business whether to honor or ignore the request.

While the offer of space appears valuable, it is and was not the real issue. The offered space would not likely include the ability for visitors to see Mainer's site.

Second of all we (SatellilteGuys.US) is not a Dish Network site.
I have never questioned this.

I see you have linked Mainer's site. Does that mean that others are now allowed to do so also without having their posts removed for linking the site of a banned former member?

Finally, if my PM requests violate a rule here, I deeply apologize. I will immediately desist.

It was never my intention to start a tempest in a tea-kettle, but I fear I have. For that I apologize both to the community and especially to Mainer. If my posts or PM have resulted in others making your situation public when that should not have been done, please forgive me.

P.S. Scott, I posted here because attempts to PM you were rejected.

How about this, next time if I decide to link a doc in it, I will link the home site only, and describe how to navigate the site and find the correct document?
Thank you, that is exactly what I requested of you, nothing more. If you prefer to direct link, I will also not complain again. Once was enough.

Hes not really making anything on the shirts and stuff. I have a Cafepress account and can tell you exactly how much things cost and how much hes making.

If hes crying about costs of getting the documents then he shouldn't have went out and got them and posted them. He knew what he was getting into there. I suggest Google Ads to recover some of the costs.

The email to me was about his bandwidth costs and again I have no problem giving him a FTP account and letting him host his documents here at no cost.
I don't know who is emailing you, but see my post above, it is NOT really about the bandwidth. It is simply about playing nice.

For the record, this is what Mainer's website says on the homepage:

Tivo v Echostar Documents

This site makes documents available as soon as they are made available on PACER.

I realize that it is a bit messy, But it does get slapped together pretty quickly.

Please, if you find this page offensively messy leave now, don't trash me on the discussion boards. Believe it or not, there are those that do

WEBMASTERS you are perfectly welcome to use this page as a reference library. But if you want to make documents available on your web site or forum, please do the courteous thing and post a link back to this page. If you feel you must post the actual document, at least credit this page as the source.

Now, did the OP post a LINK to his site? No, but the link included the URL. And we didn't make the document available on our site, it was a LINK to the source.

Now, did the OP post a LINK to his site? No, but the link included the URL. And we didn't make the document available on our site, it was a LINK to the source.
No he did not, and he is well within his rights to do so. I simply asked him to follow Mainer's request, the one you posted. Unfortunately, doing so would get the OP's post removed. Posts to sites operated by banned former members are not allowed and are removed. That makes it a bit hard to do the friendly thing. Please let me know if it is OK for me to privately ask authors one time, to do the friendly thing. I do not wish to violate your rules.

No he did not, and he is well within his rights to do so. I simply asked him to follow Mainer's request, the one you posted. Unfortunately, doing so would get the OP's post removed. Posts to sites operated by banned former members are not allowed and are removed. That makes it a bit hard to do the friendly thing. Please let me know if it is OK for me to privately ask authors one time, to do the friendly thing. I do not wish to violate your rules.

I am not certain where that rule is. But a link to a non-commercial site that is relevant to the discussion is not prohibited. Even if that proprietor of that site has lost his privileges to participate on this site. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

STRANGE ERROR!!

purchase or lease a second VIP 211?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)