TiVo vs Echostar lawsuit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I read DirecTV has contracted with TiVo again beginning in January DTV boxes will have TiVo software. Star Wars will be fun to watch over the next six months. It appears we forgotten consumers/end-users might be the victors for once.

Again, the link that you provide in that post mentions an update for existing DIRECTV with TiVo Series 2 boxes, no mention of overwriting the software on in-house DVRs. You're still not giving me any proof of this "thing you read".

And some rant by a TiVo Fan Boi on an Internet blog tells me nothing. If that guy thinks that the in-house DVR (HR20) and TiVo are the same thing, it's obvious he hasn't used the in-house DVR since TiVo has no Free Space Indicator or ability to view the Guide and Menus while watching recorded shows and the HR20 does, while the HR10 has dual buffers and Suggestions and the HR20 doesn't. I've used TiVo and I've used the HR20 and since the first of the year, it's been stable for my use. Fact is I now prefer the HR20 in most respects.

So, again, show me an official announcement that DIRECTV is abandoning their DVR platform for TiVo.

As Tivo stated, this latest ruling by the Patent Office doen't get Dish off the hook in terms of the court case and its judgment relating to some of the software patents. However, it does help Dish its real strategy regarding this lawsuit: TIME; Tivo doesn't have much of it left. Tivo may appeal and appeal and appeal the ruling of the Patent Office to the Patent Office itself and eventually a Federal court, and all of that takes time, perhaps a process taking close to 2 years. And even if Tivo doesn't appeal, Dish can still drag this whole affair to the point where Tivo could very well be out of business (its recent stock plunge, and increasingly pessimistic press--they were so HIGH on Tivo just a month ago--by so called pay-TV industry experts, especially the ones on Wall Street) before this is all resolved. It will be interesting to see if Dish will ever have to pay the judgment. But, even if Dish does have to pay, it won't financially hurt the company beyond just another quarter with costs.

That's why TiVo DirecTV HD boxes are selling for $1000 - $2000 even though they don't support things like MPEG 4.
The going rate on eBay for a standard HR10 is closer to $200.
It appears they have re-thought the decision and are going back to TiVo in January.
It may appear that way to you, but there is nothing in the recent TiVo announcement nor the ongoing agreement to lead to that conclusion.

Funny thing is, ReplayTV first developed the DVR. Tivo came later. Wonder why Replay isn't suing Tivo.

TiVo holds that its DVR was first to market, but there was a lawsuit between the two companies, which I believe was settled out of court.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)