Tivo vs. Replay TV

dspdfisher

Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I am thinking of replacing my 508 with an 811 and a standalone DVR. Any opinions on Tivo vs. Replay TV?

Thanks

I have played with a tivo at my brothers house, not enough to get used to though. I have 2 Replay 5040's, 1 upgraded to 240 gig the other with 70 gig right now with a 250gig maxtor waiting to be put in when I archive all the programs on it. You can upgrade the drive in tivos also. My replays are in a network with 2 pc's with which I usually use one(recommended) to stream from and archive to. There is a program called dvarchive that you use to archive to pc. You can then convert that file with a program called review, then use tmpg dvd author to burn to dvd. I don't think you can network tivos (yet). I record from a 6000u (downrezzed hd) and a sd D* hughes box. Replay gives you the option of 3 recording speeds translating to roughly 1gig per hour at low res, 2 gig per hour at medium res and 3 gig per hour at high. I used to record only at high from hd but now record at medium. Again not knowning much about tivos and I take it you want a standalone as you are with E* I cannot recommend one over the other. Go to the tivo forums at get into tivo community for more info on tivos.
http://www.avsforum.com
For more info on replays go to same place but to the replay forum or go to
http://www.planetreplay.com
if you have not already done so.
Or if you are just going to use as a recorder get a dvd recoder with a hard drive and or dvd ram capability...you can time shift with these also.

i have 3 replays, these are by far the best all around dvr on the market. i have owned both tivo and a tivo/dbs combo unit and they are not half the units.

I have had a tivo for about 4 years. Last year, I picked up a new Replay (I can't remember the model number).

The commercial skipping was OK when it worked, but all in all, it didn't impress me. I liked the Tivo better and returned the Replay. I like the suggestion and with the modifications I made to the Tivo, it did a lot more.

I have had a TIVO and Replay for several years and much prefer the TIVO which I am now using with an 811.

just to know, which tivo allows archiving your shows to your PC and/or DVD? or anywhere programming via the internet? the replay's commercial skip is programmed via the networks comm code they input; if its not there the replay does not time code that event, so no skip. it works flawlessly. the playback and record features are exactly the same. so with all the value added and open source features the replay can get that tivo can't offer do to its guarded partnerships (directv and nbc), how is it remotely better?

charper1 said:
just to know, which tivo allows archiving your shows to your PC and/or DVD? or anywhere programming via the internet? the replay's commercial skip is programmed via the networks comm code they input; if its not there the replay does not time code that event, so no skip. it works flawlessly. the playback and record features are exactly the same. so with all the value added and open source features the replay can get that tivo can't offer do to its guarded partnerships (directv and nbc), how is it remotely better?
He must have had an Early Replay...one that did not do internet, networking, dvarchive, poopli or ca. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)