Tivo with Fios?

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
Can a Tivo HD unit be used directly with Fios? I notice that the Tivo site says to get 2 "CableCards" from your cable company. Is that applicable to Fios?

I am hoping to get Fios soon and I am looking at options to extend my HD DVR recording space.

Brad

From my understanding, If you use Tivo with Fios you will lose the abilty to watch On Demand and PPV.

Andrew-
I switched over to Tivo with FIOS a little over a week ago.

They come out with 2 cable cards. IT blows away the Verizon HD-DVR.

You get guide data that's actually correct and descriptive - and yeah, you lose on Demand, but VZ's version of it was terrible.

You make up for it with Tivo's own weather and traffic widgets - native passthrough resolution - and the ability to download movies from Amazon's Unbox.

Definitely a good move.

What I do want to figure out on my Tivo is how to select the channel without going to it. My Dish units let me see the channel (and what is playing) without going to the channel. Then I could jump to it. Channel surfing is VERY annoying now. :)

I suspect part of it is because I don't know the Tivo controls well, part because my antenna only gets some things (I am trying to get someone to help me mount it outside instead of in the attic) and part is what the cable cards will help when they finally allow DSL. I keep waiting for them to finish the last few steps in our neighborhood....

Brad

Andrew-
You make up for it with Tivo's own weather and traffic widgets - native passthrough resolution - and the ability to download movies from Amazon's Unbox.

Definitely a good move.

Do you notice a PQ difference between the TivoHD (or series 3 as the case may be) and the Motorola bo:mad:s)?

I heard the Moto boxes does a real crappy job on converting 1080i to 720p and 720p to 1080i.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts