TNT and Copy Protection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vanddu01

Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Chicago are
I have a Sony DVD Recorder attached to my DirectTV receiver. For months, I have been successfully recording programs from all channels except for premium channels which are copy protected. This week, I noticed that I can no longer record anyhthing from TNT and I get the "cannot record copy protected movie" message. I reset the receiver with similar results. All other channel appear to be recordable. Does anyone know if this is something new to TNT?

I recorded "The Closer" monday night from TNT and it recorded fine. It's a Toshiba recorder.

That is the program I tried to record. After it wouldn't, I tried several others with the same results. I need to replace another recorder hooked up to my other receiver and may need to try a different brand.

Something similar would happen with my LiteOn DVD recorder sometimes. (not channel specific) For mine, there is a work around - that is so unplug the video cable, start the recorder, then plug the video input back in. My recorder only checks for MacroVision at the time you START the recorder, but does not check afterwords so the first second would be a blue screen (not protected) but then after that the picture would come on and the recorder would not detect the MacroVision.

I suppose you could also confuse the recorder by bringing up the guide or changing the channel. Either way it should confuse it.

After a little experimentation, I discovered that if you use a DVD-RW disk and record in VR mode, it will now record the programs without the copy protection error. I am not sure if you can record all premium channels using the same combination.

I don't want to mention the brand I use for fear they may block it. I suspect it is the recording device that is too aggressive in detecting macrovision. Many years back ATI had a driver that read saw macrovision protection where this was none. It was eventually fixed but extremely annoying.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts