TNTHD aspect ratio problem

timclark

Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
All
I am pretty new to Dish and have an 811 connected to a Samsung HLP4663W with the HD package..

I have the 811 HD configured for 720P output (native resolution for the Samsung). This seems to work well for all the HD signals except for TNTHD. The aspect ratio often does not seem right. Everyone looks "short and fat". I have tried changing the zoom settings to see if it improves but it just doesn't look right no matter which setting I use. Law and Order always looks funny.

I have found that if I switch the output of the 811 to 480P then the picture on TNTHD looks more correct. This is the only HD channel I have found this to be the case on. All others seem to be fine with 720P or 1080i

No hits on any of the existing forum threads, so I thought I would start one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hope I have given you all enough info.

Thanks
Tim

You see that on TNT-HD because they stretch all 4x3 images to fill your 16x9 screen.

timclark said:
All
I am pretty new to Dish and have an 811 connected to a Samsung HLP4663W with the HD package..

I have the 811 HD configured for 720P output (native resolution for the Samsung). ....
Tim

Tim,
I would set the 811 to 1080i. I have Samsung DLP as well and find that to be better. Mainly because any HD (Satellite or OTA) programing that is being broadcast in 1080i has to be downconverted to 720p for the Samsung to display it. Your TV has a built in downconverter that is far superior than the downconverter in the 811. So letting the signal pass through to the TV in 1080i should (and does for me) result in a better 720p HD picture.
:)

How nice of them to stretch the 4:3 images and not give me a choice..... Most TV's and the 811 offer all kinds of stretch modes for folks who feel they are paying by the square inch and don't care if Lenny from Law and Order looks like someone sat on his head.

Thanks for the insight, that makes sense now. As much as I am disappointed in Showtimes HD offerings (most appear to be standard definition 4:3 images) at least they don't play this stretch game.

OTOH, TNT-HD is doing a much better job of scaling various AR content to higher resolution and 16 X 9 AR than ESPN did before last June. I have to give them an "A" for effort. I just love the X-Files reruns.

Fix (works for me)

I was really bothered by this problem, too. Then I realized that I could change the display mode (use the PAGE UP button while in SAT mode) back to 4:3. The resulting picture still seems to be (upconverted) HD quality, but no longer looks distorted.

BGHoff
I have tried this and it does lessen the distortion but it is still there if the 811 is set to output either 1080i or 720p. I guess once TNT stretches it, it is difficult to undo totally. I don't think this 4:3 material is HD anyways. It certainly looks much softer than the other HD channels. I think TNT is just trying make everyone think they are broadcasting HD by stretching SD to 16:9 format. I would much prefer a high quality 4:3 image from them if the source material was 4:3 to begin with.

If I want everyone to look short and fat, I can stretch with the Samsung or the 811. I don't need them to do it for me. They are the only HD channel on E* that does this as far as I have seen.

If you are using component inputs on the sammy, you can compress it back to normal with the "Aspect" button on the sammy remote... If you are watching via DVI, that button does not work tho...

Watched the Nascar race today in HD(on TNT). Does anyone know the res on that? Has to be 720 b/c I watch the Nascar Grand National Series on HDNet and it blows the TNT away. Do you think this problem is on TNT's side?

joeman said:
Watched the Nascar race today in HD(on TNT). Does anyone know the res on that? Has to be 720 b/c I watch the Nascar Grand National Series on HDNet and it blows the TNT away. Do you think this problem is on TNT's side?

It was up-converted 480i widescreen. TNT-HD broadcasts 1080i not 720P. Last weeks race was true 1080i HD.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)